Lt. Commander
# 121
01-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Talon View Post
I'm sure many in the Federation smiled at the news of Tal'aura' death. We can only hope the unification movement goes through so I can have my Trill/Romulan hybrid by 2409.
The Federation must be celebrating now
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I have rarely kept up with the Star Trek novels but I was under the impression from the last movie that there were suppose to be negotiations for peace talks opened up shortly after Nemesis? Riker and Troy taking their new ship there or some such? I do see Donatra figuring in as a prominent figure for future Romulan peace though. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about her and Spock in a continuation to mend the old wounds between Romulus and Vulcan along with the Federation.

As to B4? Why would they deactivate him? At the end of the film I'm left with the feeling that the memory engrams surfacing to mumble Data's Blue Skies rendition give us a nod to things going, well, right.

Sorry if these points were already covered somewhere...
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
How Laas is still alive is going to need some explaining (not that I'm not happy that he is alive!). Maybe he went to Odo for help, or maybe he went back to the planet that he came from back when he was married and they manage to work out their own cure to help him. Possibly he could've gone to Starfleet as a last resort. Odo should be the one to cure him, maybe after he went back to the Great Link he remembered Laas and decided to go help him? Or maybe make Laas get lucky and have an immunity to the virus. I wrote a story about this on my computer a while back with my spare time off of school. Ah, I'm rambling. Back to the point.

Looks like the Romulans are having fun with Tal'Aura's death..And Sela replaced Tomalak! Never was really fond of her. Understod her dilemma, but never really got attached to her character. The Gorn in the Klingons seem to be having their own little problems over there. *content sigh* Ahhh, good times, good times.

Anyway, all in all it was an enjoyable read. Can't wait to see the next one.
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I like the ongoing romulan drama!
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-03-2009, 03:43 PM
: Chokes on popcorn and sits up in chair ! :
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireraven View Post
it is a timeline update covering a year...... were you expecting a 700 page novel about the incident or the whole incident to take over a yr to happen?
No, actually I am saying the small portion did not seem written as well as it could have been written -- especially given that the Gorn/Klingon Alliance is something brand new to Star Trek Fiction.

Given its importance, as well as it is basically the back story for many players, I hold the fiction to a hire criteria than a simply 'news blurb'.
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polt View Post
Although I am happy to see the continuation of the story, I am - disappointed - that the original comment about Cryptic reading the books and taking info from them to use - isnt being held to.

Bajor ideed did join the Federation as a full fledged member in the book UNITY.

The only thing I can think of is that Razor was the one reading and writing these stories. And now Razor is gone, and everything else has become cannon fodder.

The biggest thing yet to happen in the books is in the DESTINY TRILOGY. The entire - and I mean entire - BORG race are eliminated from the universe. 62 billion people in the alpha and beta quadrants are killed in a massive invasion of the borg (7000+ cubes) and then Picard, Riker and Captain Dax find a way to remove the BORG threat forever...

Now how would Cryptic deal with that situation?

I would suggest that they use the 'alternate Time-line' story line, mentioning some alteration that nudges STO Time-Lime away from the DESTINY TRILOGY Time line.

Alternate Time Lines is an iconic aspect of Star Trek (Alternate Universe, Time Travel Episodes, Temporal War, etc), and as such it is a good device to use, instead of just 'changing fiction and ignoring Lore Conflicts'.

I understand the whole 'soft-canon' point of view, I just do not think it should be abused. Why clash, when you can simply side-step. Clashes should be the last resort, not the first. Stick with the proper dates and basic events, and write in some fictional reason why things are different in STO Fiction, when clashes are unavoidable -- ie why the Borg exist in STO, but not after the events of some soft canon.

The last MMO that decided to pick and choose the Canon, and make gross changes 'just because they could' was SWG, and look how wonderful that game turned out.
Lt. Commander
# 128
01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Updates are comming along a little more regularly. This is a good sign. It means things are comming together behind the sceenes.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretChangeling View Post
How Laas is still alive is going to need some explaining (not that I'm not happy that he is alive!). Maybe he went to Odo for help, or maybe he went back to the planet that he came from back when he was married and they manage to work out their own cure to help him. Possibly he could've gone to Starfleet as a last resort. Odo should be the one to cure him, maybe after he went back to the Great Link he remembered Laas and decided to go help him? Or maybe make Laas get lucky and have an immunity to the virus. I wrote a story about this on my computer a while back with my spare time off of school. Ah, I'm rambling. Back to the point.

Looks like the Romulans are having fun with Tal'Aura's death..And Sela replaced Tomalak! Never was really fond of her. Understod her dilemma, but never really got attached to her character. The Gorn in the Klingons seem to be having their own little problems over there. *content sigh* Ahhh, good times, good times.

Anyway, all in all it was an enjoyable read. Can't wait to see the next one.

Woudln't Laas have neded to meld wiht another infected changeling to even be sick? I didnt think he ever melded with anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the new "Story Bit" guys. bring on 2385.