Lt. Commander
Yes - I have searched the forums and have found a ton of information on ship weapons, but nothing really explaining what I'm trying to figure out...

Can someone explain to me about weapon Critical Severity %, and Accuracy %?

1. I understand about Critical % and that you have an "X"% chance to score a critical hit.

2. What exactly is a critical hit? Maximum damage? Damage X2? What is it?

3. Critical Severity % - so if I score the critical hit and say it does 10,000 dam and the wep has a 20% critical severity %, does that mean I'm going to end up doing 12,000 dam?

4. How does weapon accuracy play in combat? Yes, I've seen where I have almost always hit, with a few "miss"es popping up. How important is it really?

BOTTOM LINE: I'm trying to make an informed decision on whether to buy a Mk X purple ship wep with +2% Crit Chance, +20% Crit Severity, and +10% Accuracy -OR- a +2% Crit Chance, +40% Crit Severity.

Thanks.

Lance
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
I'll take a stab at this.

Critical Hits are damage plus bonus damage. From what I've seen in the numbers that fly up, that it is a % based on your damage your base damage. In my personal opinion, accuracy of the weapon doesn't really seem to make a difference in hits or misses possibly due to the accuracy trait and maxing out Starship Attack Vectors, may also have something to do with the Bonus Defense meaning next to nothing right now (haven't PvP'ed enough to say that it does something).

Recommendations for your weapons as I see it, you may want something different, are in order [DMG] > [CrtH] > [CrtD] >> [ACC] for most weapon types. If you want to go with Anti-proton, then go with the [CrtH] and [CrtD].
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-31-2010, 10:15 AM
So, go for the higher critical severity percentage, and not the accuracy bonus - at least right now. I will try that out.

I believe that you are right, that right now accuracy does not play as big a role as the extra crit severity dam you can get.

Going to buy the +2% Crit, +40% Crit Severity when I get back on the game.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Accuracy overflows into crit severity when it caps. So at the very least, it's a (half-strength) +critd modifier.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCarozza
I'll take a stab at this.

Critical Hits are damage plus bonus damage. From what I've seen in the numbers that fly up, that it is a % based on your damage your base damage. In my personal opinion, accuracy of the weapon doesn't really seem to make a difference in hits or misses possibly due to the accuracy trait and maxing out Starship Attack Vectors, may also have something to do with the Bonus Defense meaning next to nothing right now (haven't PvP'ed enough to say that it does something).

Recommendations for your weapons as I see it, you may want something different, are in order [DMG] > [CrtH] > [CrtD] >> [ACC] for most weapon types. If you want to go with Anti-proton, then go with the [CrtH] and [CrtD].
This explains it pretty well imo. The critical hit modifier simulates you hitting something important (like an EPS conduit of a ship or an artery or organ of a person).

I like to think of it using old pen, paper, and dice rules. The game "makes two rolls" for each shot you take, one to determine hit or miss (this is where the [ACC] and [CrtH] modifiers come in), and the next one to determine the damage (this is where [DMG] and [CrtD] modifiers are taken into play). All of your character and BO traits and modifiers are also added into the equation. STO just uses a more technological form of rolling dice to determine the outcome.