Lt. Commander
# 31
10-31-2010, 03:45 AM
First of all: Best ground mission story-wise and setting in STO so far. We can only hope for more of this quality!

Second: Some caveats:
There is one typo/grammar error in the last line of BO dialogue after you pick up your flashlight (which shouldn't be removed after the mission, just btw!), which goes: "... interference from triolic waves are MAKING <missing: it> HARD to get accurate scans ...".

In the alternate path from the engineering-overridden door, there is a grid-boulder like object, which disrupts BO pathing sometimes. It is the very large grid, which fills out almost the whole width of a corridor section. It is the one where the devidian flashes. In the end, the BOs, attempting to follow you, will still run through the (closed) engineering door.

I submitted tickets for this, but forgot to note the IDs down. DId I mention that the "My Tickets"-UI should have an option to see just that?
Third: General comments:
In this mission, I found my BOs again to be all-knowing at times. Why does he/she know what to do even though the mission text stated that we didn't know what to expect down here? Straaaange.
Or: Why does my BO know where the console to open the locked door in lvl 3 is?
Sometimes the dialogue text feels like the BOs know much more than they let on. Conspiracy theory anyone?

The music here was new AND awesome. It was integral in keeping the mood of the mission. Moooooore music for other missions/explorables too please!

The new textboxes are neat, however, what is said in them doesn't show up as the NPC actually saying it as textual dialogue. While this works for Glein, seeing as we don't know who he is at first, it doesn't make too much sense for the information your BOs give you about the proton rifle. However, I noticed this only because at the time down there, I switched to the NPC tab, seeing as I didn't want to miss out on dialogue.

The Talarian Hook Spiders are the first critter-like "animals" of STO. I wonder how many will develop a phobia because of this mission.

The hologram doesn't run fast enough. When my BO said "follow", I ran straight through the room, triggered the devidian spawn and had to fight them AND the hologram at the same time. Bleh. :p
EDIT: Just realised, it was meant that way - the hologram is too weak to be by himself.

There should be a mention in the mission text that the proton rifle (meh, can we get a rifle model for that?) should be brought along. For my first play-through, it was sitting lazily in the bank, since I forgot about it. I realise that this may not happen if you play the episodes in one, loong, looong session. But oh well.

The "lock-down" door on the second level can be examined before you enter the room. While this still makes sense, the dialogue would be so much more effective and increase the drama if you could only examine if after you have been locked in. The music cue sadly doesn't change for this, maybe add a short "evil fanfare"?
All in all I had a grrrreat time in that mission. I would imagine, if you do it with five real people without knowing about it, the effect should be superb!
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-31-2010, 04:18 AM
Absolutely stellar job with this one, I now have a trifecta of missions that are truly the standard against which all others should be judged: The Guardian of Forever series, the Klngon Fek'lhri missions (seriously, Feds, if you haven't bothered to try out a Klingon yet, these missions alone are worth the effort to get to Commander/Captain to try, they are EPIC), and now the Devidian series.

While I truly enjoyed the Breen series (and eagerly hope to see that story expanded upon), many of the stunning graphical works and mission elements wer quite entertaining, the overall feel and polish of these new episodes has really raised the bar to stratospheric heights. I think that the community is saying it best, each and every time someone says, "I can't wait until next week!"

So, let me add one more... I can't WAIT until next week!
-Big Red

NOTE: A piece of advice for all of the players that might be having a hard time with the final boss of the mission (learned after some painful experiences of my own, alongside a few Fleetmates): you have to kill the 'Visitor' mobs first, then the 'Umbrals, then the 'Eidolon', and finally the 'Phantasm', otherwise, the 'Phantasm' will simply be able to steal health from all of the lesser mobs and stay alive indefinitely. Also, when the mobs that pick you up into the air and drain your health first hit you with that ability, if you hit a hypo (of any kind), that will break the attack, as it is considered a 'Hold', we tested this several times to ensure that it works... Just our 2 EC. -CAC
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-31-2010, 05:05 AM
I usually don't go for ghost stories, but I congratulate you, Cryptic, this was brilliant. Most fun I've had in a while. If you can keep this up with your other missions...well...it would be fantastic. I'm not that good at this sort of praise stuff, but the sentiments in this thread so far match what I want to say. Whoever wrote this mission - give them a promotion or something.

Love the new little improvements you've put into the game. Excellent work. BTW, who voiced Gein? His words and tone of voice were spot on. Really freaked me out.

Can you possibly retool the first of the Dividian missions to reflect a similar tone and atmosphere for the ground segment in the Axon?
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-31-2010, 10:46 AM
best mission i ever played... and im not a fan of ground missions

i dont know why ppl died... with the weapon from that mission before it was really easy to kill the little ones and then take out the greater ones...
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
I realy dispise such posts as they dont contribute to the thread content in absolutely anyway.
Whats the purpose?..Hmm ,i guess for some players to say "wow,that maximus from this 12 fleet must be a great player !" Yes you never died once.You must realy good in ground combat.You deserve a cookie
Quite the contrary, I suck at ground combat. I was, however, explaining how I took down the final boss to someone who was having trouble with him. I apologize if I offended you all mighty forum king Pantheras of Dragon Legion Fleet. :p
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
I liked it. There were some minor timing glitches (for example the hologram doing his whole monologue and as he started, the battle commenced making it impossible to hear or pay attention to what he was saying), but overall one of the better missions so far.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid
I'd like to bring up some small questions. Early on there was a jammed door which could have been opened by using power conduits. Now I had roamed around to the back side of the door (kinda accidently skipping ahead). On the way the ceiling piece had fallen on me. Anyhow I looked all over and coudln't find the power conduit (not sure if this is b/c I triggered from the "Wrong" side of the door). Was there an accolade for doing this, anything as far a reward?
I'd like to know this as well. I opened the door from the "wrong" side as well and the optional mission part didnt resolve for me in the sidebar. I hope there wasn't any reward I missed for not completing all optional parts?...

Apart from that I'd like to chime in with everyone that this was an AMAZING episode. Very well done on all counts! The bar is sky high for future episodes, and it's going to be very difficult to match this, but I'd love to see you do it, Cryptic. Go for it!

Oh, and for people having different experiences with the difficulty of the final boss: maybe that's because of the difficulty settings? I must have died maybe 10 times in that final battle, but I'm playing at Elite and I haven't maxed out my BO's, so yeah... :p I did finally manage to defeat the Phantasm and Eidolon when I (found out about and) triggered both Computer Core consoles in the room. But seeing as no other comments here mentioned those consoles, that might have been just a co´ncidence?...
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryxx View Post
3 words...

Best

Episode

Ever

That was like walking through about 5 different horror movies combined, but yet, it was still TREK!

Love, love, loved it.
X 2 !!!!!!

Loved it Cryptic ! MMOOAARRRR like this please !
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
One final chill that got me was after the misson, when you were talking to Drake. His little ditty about meat and how you can't negotiate with the Devidians sent another chill up my spine. I could almost imagine saying those words deadpan, or with a small inflection, very matter-of-fact.

The more I get to know that guy, the more I want to redecorate his face with a phaser blast.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Like him or hate him, though, it's the truth. The Devidians see humans as a food source and give us no more credit for our culture or intellect then we give chickens and cows. We can't reason with them because they don't see us as anything more then lunch.