Lt. Commander
# 21
11-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
That would probably be the STO tie-in novel "The Needs of the Many." Currently there are no Novels aside from that one that have been set in the 25th century.
Actually, "Engines of Destiny" (which has Scotty save Kirk from the Enterprise-B launch, which undoes "Generations" and ends up causing the Borg to succeed at assimilating Earth in "First Contact" until everything is set right) is, I believe, where Scotty is shown living to a ripe old age in the 2420s after he restores everything.

In any case, it's plausible that he's still alive being just physically 112 or so.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I still can't believe that was McCoy on the pilot episode of tng! That's awesome! I consider myself well versed in the star trek universe (seen Everything except most of TOS , read comics and pocket books)so this was a nice surprise!
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Here's a better idea of how far along we are in STO: Wesley Crusher should be 61 if he appears in the game.
I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have STO not set so far in the future. If it was only 10 years after Voyager/DS9 then a lot more of the old characters would still be around and active. With it being so long afterward, most of them will be pretty old and not playing a huge role anymore.

I guess maybe there is some problem with using the old characters. I suppose he actors get royalties or something for using their likeness (and I guess not using their likeness would be rather disconcerting), but it's too bad because I think a lot of people would enjoy more of a tie-in with these epic characters. Sure we know some of them are around somewhere, but never really encounter any of them.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaighless
I still can't believe that was McCoy on the pilot episode of tng! That's awesome! I consider myself well versed in the star trek universe (seen Everything except most of TOS , read comics and pocket books)so this was a nice surprise!
How could you possibly consider yourself well versed in the Star Trek universe if you haven't seen The Original Series? For decades ToS was all of Star Trek. It was all that existed. It's where all of Trekdom began.

You aren't a Trekkie if you can't even take the time to watch the episodes of the Original Series. Especially since you can watch them all on the internet for free.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Sisko is NOT dead. He's just chillin with the Prophets. Would make a great ingame event if he ever decided to come back *HINT HINT*
Depends on your definition of dead. He doesn't have corporeal form so it's basically his "spirit" with the Prophets, which would be akin to dying and going to heaven. It just so happens you can come back from chilling with the Prophets with a fancy new body.

Besides... we see him fall down a pretty far way and we've never seen any evidence the Prophets can transport you around, so... there's probably smashed up Siskobody at the bottom of that hole, right next to smasked up Dukatbody.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
How could you possibly consider yourself well versed in the Star Trek universe if you haven't seen The Original Series? For decades ToS was all of Star Trek. It was all that existed. It's where all of Trekdom began.

You aren't a Trekkie if you can't even take the time to watch the episodes of the Original Series. Especially since you can watch them all on the internet for free.
I've probably seen all the episodes... watched them as a kid, right alongside The Monkeys and The Gong Show... but I sure as heck can't quote the characters or cite the episodes. In my little reality it doesn't much exist. It makes Star Trek a lot easier to understand if you ignore the plethora of inconsistencies TOS gave us.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

Who appointed you judge of who is or who is not a Star Trek fan?
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-02-2010, 04:15 AM
According to the Path to 2409 as seen in the Star Trek magazine, Uhura retired from head of Starfleet Intelligence and Chakotay is now in command. Will go back through it tonight and glean out other material.

Before everyone goes to the various novels and such for this information I suggest begin your search with the Path to 2409 as this is the official STO timeline and also read the Needs of the Many, also STO Canon.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
I've probably seen all the episodes... watched them as a kid, right alongside The Monkeys and The Gong Show... but I sure as heck can't quote the characters or cite the episodes. In my little reality it doesn't much exist. It makes Star Trek a lot easier to understand if you ignore the plethora of inconsistencies TOS gave us.
Admittedly when ToS was written the very idea of having canon for a series didn't even exist. But in interviews writers for the later series have said that they just flat out ignored canon whenever it was convenient for them or the storyline. Because of this ToS is no more or less inconsistent that any of the other series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Who appointed you judge of who is or who is not a Star Trek fan?
I was obviously stating my opinion. Something that shouldn't have to be written in the preface of every post.

Who appointed you as the validator of opinions? (You're right. Spelled out like that it does make your question look stupid.)
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
That won't work. To figure out who from TOS might be alive, you have to look at life expectancy of people born in the 23rd century. All we have to go on is McCoy's appearance in TNG which indicates life expectancy must've been at least 120 back then. I'd say that any human who was born in the 23rd century had a decent shot of living into the late 24th but not much longer than that.
You have to keep in mind that "science marches on," and that includes medical science. Life expectency in the 23rd century is likely longer than it is here in the early 21st (which is around the late 70s to early 80s last I checked) - and it's likely that the years grew longer as medical science progressed. If life expectency in the 23rd century is around 100, then it is entirely possible that it's expanded to 120-140 by the TNG era, and McCoy benefited from such advances. Of course, it's possible that he doesn't have many of his original organs left, and if he does, he's extremely lucky - or it's all that clean Tennessee living.

The relaunch book series has a character who is over 100 years old and still kicking. It's not impossible that he too benefited from advances in medical science.