Lt. Commander
# 21
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
"Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference."

-James T. Kirk, 2371
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _falcon
"Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference."

-James T. Kirk, 2371
Amen to that!
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
It's already in the engineering reports they are working on getting your B'offs to be a playable Captain.

As I stated earlier I think Cryptic is aware of the issue (some see it as a problem) and it will get worked on.

I think having your B''offs turned Captains and be able to control their ships as a mini fleet is the perfect thing.

For the short term cryptic can set it to numerical level like other MMOs and let players set their title in the info screens.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _falcon

-James T. Kirk, 2371
This is exactly the spirit. Star Trek is about the ships and the captains, not about fleets and admirals. Personally, I don't want to command a mini fleet with my former officers as captains. I want my ship the way it is, my crew the way it is.

Hell, there is still a lot of work to be done improving bridge functionality, ship balance, ground combat and ST canon issues to worry about fleets, for God's sake! Maybe if it is done as a bridge power (e.g. call in reinforcements, and the reinforcement is one of your inactive ships with another captain from your account), I don't know and, really, it doesn't concern me. The fact is that the "Captainy" feeling lacks.

And, since we are dreaming here, I'd like more atmosphere. When I fire phasers, I want someone from my crew shouting "Firing Phasers, aye!", Star Trek style. When I fire torpedoes, I want someone saying "Torpedoes away!". When the ship is fired upon, I want someone screaming "Incoming!". I want the crew to be part of the gameplay, not just a cog in the machine. Check out Wing Commander: remember how the two sides would exchange insults, the wingmen would ask for cover, give you feedback ect? I want that! When I fight Klingons, I want them to say all that Shakespeare crap Chang was preaching Kirk on Star Trek VI. I have never even heard the Borg announce to me that "Resistance is futile"!

Sorry, got carried away!
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
This is exactly the spirit. Star Trek is about the ships and the captains, not about fleets and admirals. Personally, I don't want to command a mini fleet with my former officers as captains. I want my ship the way it is, my crew the way it is.
Perhaps you can be given a choice as to how you want to progress.

How about this scenario : Once you hit the Captain level you have the ability to turn down the promotion to Admiral. By doing so, your character's path is one of "prestige" meaning that you work your way to "legendary captain" status where a bonus is applied to your crew's efficiency in all operations of the ship. (Like a stats bonus, or a bonus to your trained skills. Heck, "Prestige" could be a new skill that appears in your skill tree that applies bonuses to the skills you already have.) This would mean that you'd have a kick-butt Captain, in a kick-butt ship do adventure in.

If you take the promotion to Admiral, you choose a Flagship to operate from, promote 2 of your bridge officers to Captains, and then take command of your AI fleet. (Much like ground combat away teams work.)
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Interesting idea, those who want to stay captain get their wish and those that want to become admirals get theirs