Lt. Commander
I try to keep up to date on engineering reports, STOked etc.. but recently I realised there was a gap in my knowledge or understanding. An alarmng gap that on first glance suggested the quite grim possibility of no new content for some time.

So we got a weekly and that series ends quite soon. It has had a 'belter' of an episode, which was great. It was much needed after the first two. They were frankly well written 'fillers' at best. No problem with that, as I like to feel part of a story rather than just a cold blooded killer. Hopefully by the end of the series we will have a similar level of repeatable gameplay that we have with the very successful Breen series.

After that we got season 3 implementation and the possibility of a 3rd series in January. No details or dates for the possible 4th. Hints it may involve the Tholians... again very nice.

What concerns me is I got the impression new content was going to be delivered via the weeklies rather than the seasons. If that is so then I am left with the rather depressing position of having no new content for two months. More staggeringly, it would mean that since the summer we have had the whopping total of 10 missions given to us. That would be frankly appalling. If 6 monts of development produces an afternoon of heavy play.

I really like the direction that STO has been heading under Stahl, and hope I have massively misunderstood the situation. Because frankly if 6 months will equate to 10 episodes, I am not sure I am prepared to wait that long for something new to do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
First, there's been more then 10 missions. There's been all the Klink mission, the First Contact missions, the Fluid space misisons, and new dailies (with 2 more coming out this weekish).

Series 2, #5 comes out the 13th. Season 3 comes out Dec 2nd. Then we have the Foundry coming out after that, and Foundry missions possibly hitting before the end of the year. And then Series 3 hitting in Jan, with 4 to follow after that. I think there's going to be things to do in the 7 weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
There have been 5 Faction-Neutral missions in the Pelia and Gamma Orionis Sector Block, 1 Fleet Action, 8 faction-neutral episodes and 8 KDF faction missions since season 1 and 2 new Daily missions. We are still waiting on 2 more episodes before Season 3. That's 24 missions over 2 seasons. So it seems the average is about 4 episodes per month? (Not included yet are announced daily episodes in Eta Eridani and opening the Pi Canis sector block for the Klingons, because I don't know how "big" those will be)
Is that enough or not? I don't know.

Either way, the "Seasons" seem now to fulfill a very specific purpose - bringing out new, major tech features that will enhance the game and upcoming content. The Weeklies and the Seasons are not the only source of new content. But they might remain the major ones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Also, the last thing I saw from Dstahl about Series 3 was:

Quote:
On the still in the works and coming soon after Season 3 release day
* Feature Episode Series 3
Do you have a post somewhere saying there was nothing coming for Series 3 until Jan?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that's been said repeatedly, most recently, it was mentioned in the latest "ask cryptic"
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's been said repeatedly, most recently, it was mentioned in the latest "ask cryptic"
In the Ask Cryptic Dstahl didn't say Jan, FF did. I've gone back through all of Dstahl's posts on the forum for the last 2 weeks and never saw 1 mention of the Weeklies stopping until Jan; and as I quoted above, 7 days ago Dstahl posted that they would follow soon after Season 3: a month is not soon after, IMO. So if you have a dev post stating Jan I'd love to see it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
In the Ask Cryptic Dstahl didn't say Jan, FF did. I've gone back through all of Dstahl's posts on the forum for the last 2 weeks and never saw 1 mention of the Weeklies stopping until Jan; and as I quoted above, 7 days ago Dstahl posted that they would follow soon after Season 3: a month is not soon after, IMO. So if you have a dev post stating Jan I'd love to see it.
Quote:
Q: Fractal_Eye: With the Weekly Episodes returning in January, are there plans for more series after the 3rd one? (Please say yes! These are probably my favorite part of the game at the moment.)

A: We are very happy with how the first 2 feature episode series turned out and we want to build on this success and continue to develop episodes of this caliber and try adding some new components. So while I can't go into specifics just yet, you can expect more feature episodes moving forward.
This is the comment I was referring to. He CHOOSE to answer the question with a date of January. I Think that is clear enough.

As to the comments about other additional KDF missions above they were released in the summer If memory serves me fully. By mid January that will have been half a year ago. Specifically adding these two to come that would make 26 episodes since release. More importantly in my immediate future it will be nothing for two months. Hence, I very much hopeI am wrong and some mission content will be delivered with the season change.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
This is the comment I was referring to. He CHOOSE to answer the question with a date of January. I Think that is clear enough.
It seems Jan was mentioned on the 20th, as mostly likely. Oh well. I'll find something to do until then.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
One possible solution to Content Consumption, and Content Deprivation maybe to have a system where players create their own Content.

It may come in many forms, I think they are already working on a way where we can create our own missions, this is one way to provide PVE content.

But another way would be to expand on the gameplay here in other areas such as PvP, more specifically RvR mechanics.

Why not have a Couple of Sector Blocks, it could be Border Sectors, initially one belonging to Klingons and another to the Federation and then, and since both are at War, the aim would be to conquer Sectors planet by planet with both Space and ground battles.

It could even be linked to a manufacturing system which would produce the materials and good necessary to build up defenses on these planets which would of course be destroyable and that would provide needs for producing more by each side.

Could be an idea.