Lt. Commander
# 51
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I also think that, as cool as these pads are, a classic piece of paper still "feels" better.

Just order the book at amazon - I did, too.
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
I don't have the money for that frakkin' ebook reader...its not on my to do list...lol
Never bought an ebook, so I'm not sure if they are proprietary files or not. But point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I also think that, as cool as these pads are, a classic piece of paper still "feels" better.

Just order the book at amazon - I did, too.
I own way too many books, if I could afford to put most of them into a pad of some sort I might just do that, but most of them are history books so unlikely to be sold as "ebooks".
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I own way too many books
Oooh, I can relate. And yes, I also see the advantages of a digital copy. It probably depends on the text and where I intend to read it - I could very well imagine it for travel or at office, maybe even for pen&paper games. But a really good story that I intend to read at home, in a comfy chair or in bed? No sir, that's got to be a paper book.

By the way, I've just read about an interesting comic series: Blood Will Tell takes some TOS story arcs and re-tells them - from the Klingon perspective! It's always better to hear both sides of the story, and from what I could read on MemAlpha, the thoughts and motivations of the Klingon commanders Kirk has encountered are quite important when it comes to examining their actions. An interesting read, I'm sure. In particular the culminating story Losses. Just look at the awesome cover. I can see several metaphores hidden in there.

Here's the general idea. Apparently, the story starts as an old Klingon teaches his descendents about their people's experience with the Humans:

"It is Qo'noS, not long after the explosion at Praxis, and K'aylynn approaches her grandfather, Kahnrah, asking him why he still broods. She asks why the Empire does not simply take what it needs; after all, that is what he taught her. He notes that he has been wrong in the past and that Gorkon speaks of a different way and that his vote is the one which will make the difference on the council. He has been reading journals and reports from all of those who have had experience with the Humans, trying to decide what option is best ..."
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Oooh, I can relate. And yes, I also see the advantages of a digital copy. It probably depends on the text and where I intend to read it - I could very well imagine it for travel or at office, maybe even for pen&paper games. But a really good story that I intend to read at home, in a comfy chair or in bed? No sir, that's got to be a paper book.

By the way, I've just read about an interesting comic series: Blood Will Tell takes some TOS story arcs and re-tells them - from the Klingon perspective! It's always better to hear both sides of the story, and from what I could read on MemAlpha, the thoughts and motivations of the Klingon commanders Kirk has encountered are quite important when it comes to examining their actions. An interesting read, I'm sure. In particular the culminating story Losses. Just look at the awesome cover. I can see several metaphores hidden in there.

Here's the general idea. Apparently, the story starts as an old Klingon teaches his descendents about their people's experience with the Humans:

"It is Qo'noS, not long after the explosion at Praxis, and K'aylynn approaches her grandfather, Kahnrah, asking him why he still broods. She asks why the Empire does not simply take what it needs; after all, that is what he taught her. He notes that he has been wrong in the past and that Gorkon speaks of a different way and that his vote is the one which will make the difference on the council. He has been reading journals and reports from all of those who have had experience with the Humans, trying to decide what option is best ..."
Hmmm I may have found my next distraction - nice find!

Edit: Vol 1 comes in a Klingon Language edition :p
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Never bought an ebook, so I'm not sure if they are proprietary files or not. But point taken.

I own way too many books, if I could afford to put most of them into a pad of some sort I might just do that, but most of them are history books so unlikely to be sold as "ebooks".
Yeah, I think they are proprietary...lol...or at least that's what some co-workers that have those Kindles tell me.