Lt. Commander
I'm wondering if any forethought actually went into this area.

There's nothing unique about the area aside from mingling with other LT captains and Long-time vets...it offers the same amenities as Qo'Nos and ESD and you have to enter it from both of these places anyway. There's also the fact that you can mingle with EVERY captain LT or not at Drozana station anyway in addition to having missions direct people there and a Dabo table.

Storywise why would the Klingons or Federation allow an anomaly that is in orbit around their captial planets to remain open period let alone one that they know for a fact anyone can enter from any time period?!

I'd love to see the Captain's Table destroyed but if that won't happen can we at least make it worth something? Stormshade recently said they put access in for longtime subbers because they wanted to increase traffic. All giving access to vets does is increase the number of people not going there :p

So here's what I'd propose:

For story sanity get rid of the stupid anomaly over Earth an Qo'Nos. This was, to quote a wise nerd: Worst. Idea. Ever.

Instead of a static access point right outside our capital make it a zone of it's own with access from anywhere via a Transwarp-like power on your bar while in sector space. Just like PvP upon exit you re-appear right back where you were. This would actually make it worthwhile and give it some actual traffic...Why fly all the way from Orellius to DS9 when you can just click on this power to hit a bank?!

But therein lies the problem. People complain about a lack of social interaction in this game and blame it on instancing, granted a 25-50 person cap in a social area is foolish. Grey out all ground abilities and items when in social areas and raise the cap to 100, Champs has done it and there's a lot more effects going in that game...

The bigger problem is that there are just too many social areas and not enough people to fill them. But I guess next Summer when STO goes F2P we'll have that problem solved...

Anyway, anyone else have suggestions for improving the Captain's Table? It's not that there aren't enough people with access it's just that it's yet ANOTHER social hub and there's no special reason to go there...someone wanna chime in here and offer a solution?

Or do we all agree to just stop wasting the data space and destroy the Table?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Why worry about it? Just don't go there if it isn't to your liking.

It doesn't have anything special because any time ANYTHING special is put in the game someone cries about it and the forums erupt in flames over whatever it was. There were flames about it, the table, when it was introduced even though as you point out there is nothing special about it except that IMO it is nice to look at.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I disagree, the worste idea ever was Nelix
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
I disagree, the worste idea ever was Nelix
Now, now. No attacks on Neelix! I'll defend that kind, generous, amiable Talaxian to the last.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
.....The bigger problem is that there are just too many social areas and not enough people to fill them. But I guess next Summer when STO goes F2P we'll have that problem solved...
Excuse me??? Since when is STO going F2P?

I love how in all MMOs now, when someone is unhappy with something they throw this kind of comment about
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I agree, The captains table is probably one of the least-traveled locations in the game, and for good reason.

There is no functionality that isn't more efficient and convenient at ESD or on Q'onos.

There is nothing to draw a player there except the novelty of being somewhere some players can't go, yet.

I say we abandon The Aenigma Singularity entirely, shift the Captains Table to a neutral location in the Pi Canis Sector Block, between the Klingon Empire, the Federation, and the Romulan Star Empire.

Make it as functional as as ESD Or Q'onos (or later, the Romulan Capitol). Put in a Dabo table, make room for further expansions (empty rooms with locked doors (for now) so that future additions to the game can be easily added.

Give us the ability to set a "home base" other than ESD, I, personally, prefer DS9 over any other station, if it weren't for promotion ceremonies and new ship acquisitions, I'd likely never visit ESD.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
I'm wondering if any forethought actually went into this area.

There's nothing unique about the area aside from mingling with other LT captains and Long-time vets...it offers the same amenities as Qo'Nos and ESD and you have to enter it from both of these places anyway. There's also the fact that you can mingle with EVERY captain LT or not at Drozana station anyway in addition to having missions direct people there and a Dabo table.

Storywise why would the Klingons or Federation allow an anomaly that is in orbit around their captial planets to remain open period let alone one that they know for a fact anyone can enter from any time period?!

I'd love to see the Captain's Table destroyed but if that won't happen can we at least make it worth something? Stormshade recently said they put access in for longtime subbers because they wanted to increase traffic. All giving access to vets does is increase the number of people not going there :p

So here's what I'd propose:

For story sanity get rid of the stupid anomaly over Earth an Qo'Nos. This was, to quote a wise nerd: Worst. Idea. Ever.

Instead of a static access point right outside our capital make it a zone of it's own with access from anywhere via a Transwarp-like power on your bar while in sector space. Just like PvP upon exit you re-appear right back where you were. This would actually make it worthwhile and give it some actual traffic...Why fly all the way from Orellius to DS9 when you can just click on this power to hit a bank?!

But therein lies the problem. People complain about a lack of social interaction in this game and blame it on instancing, granted a 25-50 person cap in a social area is foolish. Grey out all ground abilities and items when in social areas and raise the cap to 100, Champs has done it and there's a lot more effects going in that game...

The bigger problem is that there are just too many social areas and not enough people to fill them. But I guess next Summer when STO goes F2P we'll have that problem solved...

Anyway, anyone else have suggestions for improving the Captain's Table? It's not that there aren't enough people with access it's just that it's yet ANOTHER social hub and there's no special reason to go there...someone wanna chime in here and offer a solution?

Or do we all agree to just stop wasting the data space and destroy the Table?
excuse me, but STO is not going F2P. as to why, the devs have absolutely no plans for the idea, they said CO going F2P would not affect STO's subscription plan, and STO is too huge to go F2P by next year anyway (too much stuff to add and test)
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a feeling that burning the CT 100 days before its offered as a Vet Reward will tick off a lot of non-LTS players.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok, so, aside from a Dabo Table (That's a given) what else would you all like to be able to see at The Captain's Table? Lay it on me!
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
1) Respec trainers for player and bo's
2) Ship buyers/Select ship
3) A holodeck (just playing an old style disco)