Lt. Commander
# 11
11-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
Strictly in terms of feature set, the Foundry tools are being built following the original progress of the game. The first iteration of the tools is designed to be able to generate missions at roughly the level of the content when STO shipped, and we will elaborate from there. Eventually there will be enough options where, given enough time and planning, a mission can take you down any number of possible scenarios in response to player actions.
So basically we're only going to be able to create Kill X/Scan Y then?
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I would think in terms of, you can do what they did in the tutorial.
physically

so you can do many things
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
I would think in terms of, you can do what they did in the tutorial.
physically

so you can do many things
I'd be hesitant to assume that.
The tutorial has many, many parts; multiple space environments, multiple ship/station interiors, and the ground portion. I've so far been thinking we'd effectively be limited to a max of one space environment and one ground environment at first. I think I've heard mention that interior environments won't be supported at release, either.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Many consider the tools themselves as the limiting factor...but I think
size is.

How big can we make the adventure ?
How many maps ?
How many NPCs ?
How many dialoges ?

and to some extent, how big can the maps be ?
and how many objects can we put in them ?

When the Star Trek TV shows were filmed (not the movies) they had a limited amount of
space and sets they could create and use per episode...yet they told great stories.

So if we are allowed lots of room....even with simple tools, we should be able to do
some really fun things.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
I'd highly, highly, HIGHLY suggest we be given the capacity to filter out missions made with older versions of the UGC tools. People who have a story they want told will likely make the same story over and over as new versions are released, incorporating the latest and greatest capabilities. This will lead to heavy story duplication.

If we can filter out missions made with older versions it'll help us find the most recent.
Speaking as someone who has been thinking long and hard about making UGC missions, I have to question your assumption here. Knowing myself, it's likely I'll create a mission using the tool set available at the time and just move on to the next story I want to tell. Maybe I'll be singing a very different tune in a year, but that's how I see things right now.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-04-2010, 02:30 AM
But what happens to the rating and the approval of the mission if you go in and edit it?
Will it be reset and have to be approved again?
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-04-2010, 02:46 AM
your going to get both types of folks

Made it, here it is.........ok next

and the folks that want to keep it updated...maybe they wanted to do something they couldn't
do earlier..but now can...so they come out with Ver. 2 and such

also depends on the replayability of an adventures...is it a one race pony ? or is it something
different like a star trek resort - event area ? Might want to keep the event area up to date.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
Speaking as someone who has been thinking long and hard about making UGC missions, I have to question your assumption here. Knowing myself, it's likely I'll create a mission using the tool set available at the time and just move on to the next story I want to tell. Maybe I'll be singing a very different tune in a year, but that's how I see things right now.

EB
Problem is, there's nothing preventing someone else from effectively stealing your old stories and remaking them with the latest and greatest supported mechanics. People would very likely begin to ignore your version for the new one that includes more tools in the storytelling.

But of course... that's one of the problems with the system in general.... none of us have any legal rights to the content we author. Anyone and everyone is free to plagiarize us at any time. I'm sure that'll eventually irk the people who take pride in adding a "unique" story to the game, when someone else just copies it and takes credit for the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, I made a poll about this question. FYI:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/pol...r-the-foundry/
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
the only sure limits on a UGC mission are:

How big it is. <is there a file size limit?>
How long does it take to play ? <is it more than an average player is willing to invest playing it>

There might be some technical limits

only X number of objects per map
space maps only ..this big...

but having the tools themselves limit the generator ?
I would prefer to say the tools determine how easy or hard it is to
write an adventure.

Time will tell though.