Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
11-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marr_Gryphon View Post
Why cant each ship have its own unique cew with their own abilities??? I should be able to pick a ship with its own crew and not spend time shifting and shuffling people around.. it reality a ship has its own crew not the ones you bring with them.....
This is not reality and STO is not a simulator.
In reality, yes, you would get command of a vessel and its would have its own crew already assigned and aware of thier assingments.
In STO you have numerous crew that follows you through your career and you can place them where you wish according to the design/layout of the ship you choose and its classification.
The use of universal commander/LTcommander slots on each vessel ingame would erode the diversification of the said vessel by the classification of CRuiser/Escort/Science.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
if every ship has uni stations what will each ship lose to bring it back inline with the bop or would the bop gain an extra BO station increased hull and shields and more consols and extra wpn slots
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
This is not reality and STO is not a simulator.
In reality, yes, you would get command of a vessel and its would have its own crew already assigned and aware of thier assingments.
In STO you have numerous crew that follows you through your career and you can place them where you wish according to the design/layout of the ship you choose and its classification.
The use of universal commander/LTcommander slots on each vessel ingame would erode the diversification of the said vessel by the classification of CRuiser/Escort/Science.
Well I beleive I supplied some Ideas to avoid eroding as you put it the uniqueness and roles of the ships.

The way i see it if the system is to become more in Line with Trek, then the reality of Trek is what matters, and the system can be made to to reflect the Star Trek Reality even if that reality is Sci-Fi compared to "the" reality and it would not be a simulator.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
Well I beleive I supplied some Ideas to avoid eroding as you put it the uniqueness and roles of the ships.

The way i see it if the system is to become more in Line with Trek, then the reality of Trek is what matters, and the system can be made to to reflect the Star Trek Reality even if that reality is Sci-Fi compared to "the" reality and it would not be a simulator.
The reality of Trek was not a constant reality and tended to change from episode to episode depending on the needs of the production crew more than most may realize.

Your ideas on certain power being assigned to all ships was interesting and I can see the logic in it, but your ideas on BO powers is still aligned its self to Universal slot usage and the idea of some BO powers being random when asked for seemed way more complictated and uneeded.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The reality of Trek was not a constant reality and tended to change from episode to episode depending on the needs of the production crew more than most may realize.

Your ideas on certain power being assigned to all ships was interesting and I can see the logic in it, but your ideas on BO powers is still aligned its self to Universal slot usage and the idea of some BO powers being random when asked for seemed way more complictated and uneeded.
Yes the whole Idea here is to permit more flexibility to players, if you want to take your tactical crew and fly a Cruiser you could. You would be enhancing the tactical attributes of the Cruiser without however changing its primary role.

Right now however the current design imposes this via inflexibility, You have to have an engineering crew if you are flying a Cruiser.

More than that your cruiser will change role if you were to replace its crew with anything other than an engineering crew.

So the caveat is two fold. And I think that making the change to have abilities/powers associated with Ship equipment like it is with Kits and Weapons on the Ground solves both.

****

Now, on the Special Powers random system, this I added while I was typing, in order to keep those special powers in the game, and not suggest eliminating them all together.

But another approach could be that these powers come by default to BO's and since all other powers comes with Equipment and in relation to a Given Ship's role.

The Random system is optional, I just had that episode in mind with Enterprise D caught in a Causality Loop, where Picard was asking for Options from his crew, Riker suggested the Decompression of teh Shuttle Bay while Data suggested the use of teh Tractor Beam...these were random options to Picard and he chose one.

So it is a kind of a Mini game within the wider game, yet it does not have to be like that.

As long as the use of all these Special powers becomes rare or not at all in Combat, then Combat would be more Trek Like.

It is the amount of Crowd Control happening in the game, with mesmerizes and roots and snares and disarms etc that makes it feel like Paladins and rogues and healers dressed as starships, not the fact that there is a trinity of Roles.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.