Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
The sovereign is too modern to need a refit in that sense.

What i do think it needs however, is a unique "Quantum Turret" power that actually uses the actual Turret on the ship model.
A power that say fires a volley of HY III Quantum Torpedoes.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
whats all this about federation battleships? the kdf dont have no battleships, and they really should, they dont build ships to explore they build ships to CONQUER
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
whats all this about federation battleships? the kdf dont have no battleships, and they really should, they dont build ships to explore they build ships to CONQUER
If memory serves me right, I think the Nehg'var is a battle ship. But if it isn't, they should make a dedicated Battle ship in game, something big and gruesome. Both sides needs a big, we built it for battle, style battle ship to fight each other with, big and gruesome, and powerful. (minus gruesome on the feds side of course.)

And before I hear "Feds don't build war ships...." I would like to point out, while they don't build dedicated, war operation only vessels, they have, and would build a ship that functions in the capacity of a battle ship to match their enemies. It goes back to the whole, you build one, I build one mentality, which frankly is smarter then lets not build a comparable ship to our enemies new, and improved combat vessel. War has proven that once one person builds a fancy new war machine, their enemies will soon have their own version following pretty soon after. (At least if that faction had any intelligence and desire to survive and win.)
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
That chance is long gone. Currently, the game consists of 90% combat. How would you balance a battleship against the existing categories? "Big and sturdy" is already covered by the existing cruisers. You can't just top that off by slapping a couple more phaser banks and launchers onto the hull, as that would clearly unbalance the entire game.

By the way, the playable KDF Negh'var is "only" a cruiser as well, comparable to the T5 Fed ones. Doesn't really fit, but that's balancing.

Yes, fights against dreadnoughts can be fun (did one yesterday), but that would only work if you make the match a 1-vs-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota2063 View Post
And before I hear "Feds don't build war ships...." I would like to point out, while they don't build dedicated, war operation only vessels, they have, and would build a ship that functions in the capacity of a battle ship to match their enemies.
That doesn't quite work out. You can't match a top-of-the-line dedicated battleship with something that is simply not as dedicated to performing this job.

Also, as we have seen in the shows, the Federation does not employ the "arms race" mentality (presumably as it would hinder its diplomatic efforts, but also because Roddenberry was an idealist).
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
There is no viable reason to create a "Sovereign Refit".

The Sovereign is already a T5, and already working as intended.

To create a "refit" of an existing T5 ship would be incredibly redundant.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Actually, the Sovereign-class is canonically a "Type 2 Explorer".

Which is why she was put on diplomatic missions instead of fighting in the Dominion War.

This is Starfleet. Not the Terran Empire.
I heard she wasn't fighting in the Dominion war due to CBS not allowing the rights for it to appear outside the movies. .. lol...
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
I heard she wasn't fighting in the Dominion war due to CBS not allowing the rights for it to appear outside the movies. .. lol...
Back then the franchise was still owned by Paramount.

But considering that we have also seen Galaxies fighting in the Dominion War I agree that there is likely some weird off-screen reasion to the Sovvie not showing up. Still, I think the explanation on MemAlpha is a nice in-setting "excuse".
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Back then the franchise was still owned by Paramount.

But considering that we have also seen Galaxies fighting in the Dominion War I agree that there is likely some weird off-screen reasion to the Sovvie not showing up. Still, I think the explanation on MemAlpha is a nice in-setting "excuse".
What's the excuse on Memory Alpha?

And I guess it would make sense that there were no Sovereigns seen fighting in the Dominion War; there's only 2 confirmed in existence (the class namesake at the E-E), and it was probably more efficient/economical to pump out Akiras instead.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I have to say that the souv does not need a refit, it is NOT a battleship.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
What's the excuse on Memory Alpha?
"While the Sovereign-class was not a key player in the Dominion War, such vessels as the Enterprise-E spent time during the war putting out diplomatic "brush fires" and extending the occasional olive branch, as the Federation Diplomatic Corps were busy attempting to put an end to the war. (Star Trek: Insurrection)"
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sovereign_class#History

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
And I guess it would make sense that there were no Sovereigns seen fighting in the Dominion War; there's only 2 confirmed in existence (the class namesake at the E-E), and it was probably more efficient/economical to pump out Akiras instead.
I suppose a certain "fear" to lose a ship as new and advanced as this would be justified. Aside from the impact on fleet morale it'd also include the danger of exposing valuable technological secrets to the enemy, should the Dominion have managed to recover parts of a wrecked Sovereign. It was state-of-the-art back then, after all.