Lt. Commander
# 11
11-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Well, I will say it.
I am going to create instance maps of places on earth to use generically in some of my adventures.
Star Fleet academy
Star Fleet HQ
various other locations....The Vulcan compound ....all kinds of places

I am surprised nobody mensioned it yet
Not sure that's really possible.

As far as I've seen there are very little to no Federation building models in existence at the moment for you to use, let alone anything that would capture the unique feel of the buildings we've already seen on screen. Terrain, as I understand it, also can't be changed and all we can do is choose from surfaces they've already made and used.

Plus... any view of San Fransisco and Paris would be lacking if you couldn't see the Golden Gate Bridge and Eifel Tower in the distant background. In fact.. I don't think there's any surface in STO right now that demonstrates a capacity to have complex "out-of-bounds" backdrop, such as city-scapes.

Anyway... feel free to try, but I'd be prepared for frustration.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post

As far as I've seen there are very little to no Federation building models in existence at the moment for you to use, let alone anything that would capture the unique feel of the buildings we've already seen on screen. Terrain, as I understand it, also can't be changed and all we can do is choose from surfaces they've already made and used.

Plus... any view of San Fransisco and Paris would be lacking if you couldn't see the Golden Gate Bridge and Eifel Tower in the distant background. In fact.. I don't think there's any surface in STO right now that demonstrates a capacity to have complex "out-of-bounds" backdrop, such as city-scapes.

tell the truth, not sure either...BUT
we will find out when it launches

interior buildings will not be much problem though
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-10-2010, 02:07 AM
This all sounds really awesome...can't wait....I'll be first in line!
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post

This is what I was thinking too. I'm under the impression that ground and interior maps are all cookie-cutter until later when they can add the ability to produce our own maps.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Well, we will use what what they got...as best we can. As time permits, we can request various
placeables...after they iron out the wrinkles and squish the bugs
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Well, we will use what what they got...as best we can. As time permits, we can request various
placeables...after they iron out the wrinkles and squish the bugs
A lot can be done with some basics (and why I'm asking for some building materials like walls, beams, et cetera), you should see some of the maps that people have created in FarCry2. For example, the game (and everything in it, all props, terrain, plants) is designed to look like it's in civil-war-torn Africa, but people have made some amazing maps, including downtown NY from I Am Legend, Paris, Disneyland... Personally, I made one of my old hometown (New Smyrna Beach) boardwalk and a pretty good crashed starship. The beach is still inprogress (just did it because I was feeling homesick) but here are some shots of starship.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...iaOverhead.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...RoomAccess.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Corridor1.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Entrance2.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...EngineRoom.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...wn/Engines.png

Anyway, everything there was designed for an African civil was setting, not a crashed spaceship.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-13-2010, 08:58 AM
hmm well, going though most answers.....and they did give us a bunch...it is kinda a
good news, bad news kinda thing.....at launch...it will get better over time.

Bad news, gotta use pre-made interior and ground maps...might have a lot to choose from.
That will limit what we can do at the start, but the good news will make it a small thing.

The good news, we can use most game maps to include real public areas..and copies of current
game maps that we can modify (place stuff).
Also there will be some star fleet exterior building available at launch.

So if you wanted to make you own star base....you will have to use a copy of a current SB,
however you can place what you want in it. Not perfect but useable.

Also, if you wanted to make an adventure of Vulcan...you can put it on Vulcan...the public one.
very cool.

meow