Lt. Commander
# 11 Section 10 - Conclusion
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Dynamics:

So in summary, this graphic should make more sense if you've been able to stay with me until the end here.
GRAPHIC
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1289520140

Immersion into an MMO is what gamers want. Hopefully I have addressed the concerns of the many in this analysis in an attempt to bring the following into Star Trek Online:
  • Resource Tutorial Missions - An array of missions familiarizing the Player with the Resource War and how to get them started on their way towards Terminal Crafting to Resource Gathering.
  • Additional Layers of Game Play
  • Accolades – Players & Fleets
  • Increases the number of Trade Items on the Exchange
  • Creates Greater Community Involvement & Participation
  • Provides Players a way to create Fleet Starbase build outs using the “Foundry”, that MAKES SENSE, provides practicality, expands the player galaxy and isn’t just additional visual phluph.

Hope that helps with some of the creative juices Cryptic!

"See you...out there!"

Chef@Admiral_Chef
Admiral_Chef@yahoo.com

Special Thank You to:
My Fleet Mates in Jupiter Force for being a sounding board and helping out with all the screen shots I used in the artwork for this, especially John Havoc, B-Ryan and Susano. (word up yall).
Sto-wiki! That site has some great content!
And
My Wife, for putting up with my obsessive need to finish this thing the passed few months!
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Its a great idea Chef and you've given it tons and tons of hard work. I'm not gonna recopy all my feedback from when it was in development cause you have incorporated most of it but my biggest thing was my in system starbase idea. I didn't see it in your wall o text and you or Cryptic are welcome to use or trash it.

When your faction owns all the possible mining platform spaces in a system (ground and space), you would then be able to construct a starbase. The starbase would then provide extra defense for the system and depending on what type of starbases we'd make these they'd provide extra defense and then that system would officially become Federation territory. This could possibly then be the staging point of possible first contact or diplomacy missions (something for the Federation Ambassadors to do). The starbases would also have to be maintained, although not as much as fleet bases.

However this system could be taken back by the opposing faction. This would have to require a minimum of like 50 people or something to essentially raid the system (and once they attack a notice would go out to all people of the same faction to aid in the fight). Then the defending faction would receive a warning that a Federation system was being attacked and then players would travel there to defend it. The starbase itself would have some NPC defenses (ships and turrets) but not enough so that it can defend itself against a massive raid. What would follow next would be an epic space battle (with necessarily no time limit) where the attacking faction would either try to destroy the starbase and at least half of the space mining platforms (easy route) or they could choose to completely take over the entire system by destroying all the mining platforms and capturing the starbase (hard route). The latter would be like a SB 24 kinda thing where you fight your way to the base send like half of your force down while the rest stay in space to defend you. You would then have to take over vital areas of the station and force the occupying faction to flee. However members of the defending faction can also beam down to defend the base. The battle would be over once the base was captured and the platforms destroyed. If the defending faction successfully repels the attackers then nothing really changes but if the attackers win they either take control of the base and can construct new platforms(if they went the hard route) or they get half of the system's platforms and the defenders get the other half (if they just destroyed the base).
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow you spent a lot of time on this I have to admit this would be a really cool idea if the Devs ever decide to add mining.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't have the 4 hours it would take me to fully read and comprehend this but if it wasn't already mentioned I'd say a Mining/Trader Faction consisting of any and all species which could do missions for one side or the other in addition to fulfilling contracts placed by Player Fleets and various alien factions would be awesome.

This would allow people who want to mine and trade the ability to do so without forcing people that wanna play sto w/o grinding minerals to build a starbase these traders can always buy a variety of ships (including things like the generic science ship that was once featured on the Pre-Launch STO ships page) or faction ships that are retrofitted for a higher level (though still not as good as some other ships at that level) Traders/Miners shouldn't be able to fully defend from enemies unless in a group when they can concentrate fire otherwise even on normal most enemies should be a good challenge...this would allow them to either team up with numerous other traders for mining OR they could enter player faction missions and mine the numerous asteroids or take samples for reporting to the local mining agency for that faction (complete with a finders fee and perhaps a portion of the mined mineral(s) sent to their mailbox weekly for a set amount of time...)
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ryan777 View Post
Its a great idea Chef and you've given it tons and tons of hard work. I'm not gonna recopy all my feedback from when it was in development cause you have incorporated most of it but my biggest thing was my in system starbase idea. I didn't see it in your wall o text and you or Cryptic are welcome to use or trash it.

When your faction owns all the possible mining platform spaces in a system (ground and space), you would then be able to construct a starbase. The starbase would then provide extra defense for the system and depending on what type of starbases we'd make these they'd provide extra defense and then that system would officially become Federation territory. This could possibly then be the staging point of possible first contact or diplomacy missions (something for the Federation Ambassadors to do). The starbases would also have to be maintained, although not as much as fleet bases.

However this system could be taken back by the opposing faction. This would have to require a minimum of like 50 people or something to essentially raid the system (and once they attack a notice would go out to all people of the same faction to aid in the fight). Then the defending faction would receive a warning that a Federation system was being attacked and then players would travel there to defend it. The starbase itself would have some NPC defenses (ships and turrets) but not enough so that it can defend itself against a massive raid. What would follow next would be an epic space battle (with necessarily no time limit) where the attacking faction would either try to destroy the starbase and at least half of the space mining platforms (easy route) or they could choose to completely take over the entire system by destroying all the mining platforms and capturing the starbase (hard route). The latter would be like a SB 24 kinda thing where you fight your way to the base send like half of your force down while the rest stay in space to defend you. You would then have to take over vital areas of the station and force the occupying faction to flee. However members of the defending faction can also beam down to defend the base. The battle would be over once the base was captured and the platforms destroyed. If the defending faction successfully repels the attackers then nothing really changes but if the attackers win they either take control of the base and can construct new platforms(if they went the hard route) or they get half of the system's platforms and the defenders get the other half (if they just destroyed the base).
Sorry about that B,

I was up 36 hours finishing this post.

If in some way there could be a trigger mechanism like you mention, that when one faction has TOTAL control over a mining system, to where they can form some time of base or blockade, that would be ideal.

It would be taking it to the next level of Territory Control.

Ideally as well, when they expand exploration to deep space, new resource maps could include species which each Faction could then open up negotiations (fed side) or raids (kdf side) for the rights to mine or build starbases in their areas.

Having a system on "Lockdown" as you mention, would be a great additional level of immersion. It would force players to come up with keen strategies to ensure no one side controls a single system to prevent them from building a defensive outpost there...And hence force them to lay siege on the Outpost before returning to warring over the resources being protected.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
ive saved this post and i might get round to having a look at it some time. you have clearly done tons of work thinking about this, and i hope a dev or two takes a look.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
ive saved this post and i might get round to having a look at it some time. you have clearly done tons of work thinking about this, and i hope a dev or two takes a look.
Indeed.

At times it felt like I was working in a Bajoran Ore Processing Station to get it finished!

Enjoy the read.

I'll be happy to answer any questions or comments anybody may have.

and yes,

DEVS LOOK HERE!
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Chef View Post
At times it felt like I was working in a Bajoran Ore Processing Station to get it finished!
I DIDN'T SEE THAT ON YOUR CHARTS! I want a Bajoran (slave) ore processing plant!
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHurrDerr
I DIDN'T SEE THAT ON YOUR CHARTS! I want a Bajoran (slave) ore processing plant!
This ^ One that looks like DS9 too, please!

And yeah with lockdown you'd almost be making it (if it wasn't already) open PvP. So with this we not only fix crafting but then we get open PvP too. Killing 2 bajorans with one stone ftw! Now if only we can incorporate exploration in here too lol
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ryan777 View Post
This ^ One that looks like DS9 too, please!

And yeah with lockdown you'd almost be making it (if it wasn't already) open PvP. So with this we not only fix crafting but then we get open PvP too. Killing 2 bajorans with one stone ftw! Now if only we can incorporate exploration in here too lol
Yes, the Resource Maps are open pvp.

Any player of any level or rank may enter the map.

Perhaps there would need to be some sort of auto-balance.

OR

No auto-balance, and lower level players had better bring some "back up" with them, when entering a system.

As for the Bajoran Ore Processing Station...

I've not done the cost breakdown and power drain estimates for Cardassian Economics =P

Maybe with the faction expansions when they roll out.