Lt. Commander
# 1 Night of the Comet; Comments.
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, I have to say I'm kind of underwhelmed.

After the near total awesome of the last two episodes, I was looking forward to a big finish, and what do we get?

An easy 1v1 fight.
A handful of moderately challenging fights with Devidians, but nothing we haven't done before.
A meeting with Scotty, who has a strangely lustful attitude that's somewhat out of character;
we get to mix a drink.
A fight which is either a series of moderately challenging 2v1 ship duels or a ridiculous 8v1 slaughter, even on lowest settings. Either way, nothing we haven't seen before.

The highlight of the mission was the slingshot thing, where we're made to actually pilot the ship, which was new and somewhat challenging.

I'd like to have seen failing the slingshot have a consequence. Maybe we end up in the wrong time, and have to figure out a way to get back.

I'd like to know how a bunch of 250 year old klingon ships could pose ANY threat to a state of the art Vor'cha Battlecruiser? Ship to ship fights in the past should be a cakewalk. Ask yourself, would the Ticonderoga Class USS Vincennes have ANY trouble disabling the old tall ship, USS Constitution? Could the Constitution even HURT the Vincennes, or would the cannonballs just bounce off?

The Klingon disruptor pistol reward is too small, and has the pulse sound in addition to the classic disruptor sound, both playing at once. It should be just the classic sound.

I like the classic phaser pistol and rifle. Very nice. Too bad I can't give them to my crew, too (since my whole crew is in TOS uniforms and are still flying a TOS Constitution).

All in all, for me, a disappointing finish.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2010, 02:57 AM
I think the mission was good.

Only thing that struck me as odd was mixing a drink in a battle situation and the whole dialouge that came with it.

Scotty in his younger days was allways about the Ladies, so no that is not realy out of character.

But since when is "TRANSWARP transporter technology" one of Scotty's specialities?

I think that stupid idea was introduced by JJ Abrams... that made my inner Nerd cringe a lot worse then anything else in this mission.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
I think the mission was good.

Only thing that struck me as odd was mixing a drink in a battle situation and the whole dialouge that came with it.

Scotty in his younger days was allways about the Ladies, so no that is not realy out of character.

But since when is "TRANSWARP transporter technology" one of Scotty's specialities?

I think that stupid idea was introduced by JJ Abrams... that made my inner Nerd cringe a lot worse then anything else in this mission.

Preach on brother man!
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Scotty was never all about the ladies. I can count on one hand the love interests he had, and still have fingers left over. In fact, I can count the number of women that reciprocated his attention and still have ALL my fingers left over.

Let's see...

Mira Romaine, Lights of Zetar. He was interested, but she seemed ambivalent. He hurried around obsessing over her health. Never did get anywhere with her.

Carolyn Palomas, Who Mourns for Adonais. She was just kind of there, and never showed any more interest in him than in any other away team member, even after Scotty got zapped trying to defend her. She quickly went off to be with Apollo. He never did get anywhere with her.

The Dancer, A Wolf in the Fold. On Argelius, he briefly pursued a dancer before being possessed by Redjac and killing her.

I don't usually quote from Memory Alpha, but even there they realized he wasn't a ladies' man.

Quote:
Although a gentleman at heart, life as an engineer for Scott was often lonely, as he often attempted to pursue hopeless relationships with much younger female officers that were often perceived as being out of his league.
A gentleman wouldn't make a comment like the one he made in this mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I'd like to know how a bunch of 250 year old klingon ships could pose ANY threat to a state of the art Vor'cha Battlecruiser? Ship to ship fights in the past should be a cakewalk. Ask yourself, would the Ticonderoga Class USS Vincennes have ANY trouble disabling the old tall ship, USS Constitution? Could the Constitution even HURT the Vincennes, or would the cannonballs just bounce off?
B'Vat was established to have updated his fleet with 25th century tech in some other missions, with implication in "Treaure Trading Station" that he had frequently used time travel for his personal goals.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Scotty was never all about the ladies. I can count on one hand the love interests he had, and still have fingers left over. In fact, I can count the number of women that reciprocated his attention and still have ALL my fingers left over.
Be careful now. Scotty is missing a finger...
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I have to say this was my least favorite of all the weekly series missions.

I loved the slingshot maneuver to get back in time. That was cool, it could have been done a little better but still, it was a great start to the mission. I did not, however, like having to use a holo-emitter to make my ship look like a piece of crap Klingon vessel. Surely it would not have been that hard to give Federation players a Constitution class holo-emitter, and the Klingons a D7 one. That also would have made an excellent end of series reward... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have loved a Constitution class holo-emitter for my ship.

I also did not like the concept of "set all weapons to stun and mow down the bar patrons". My plasma grenades do not have a "stun" option. I really like the concept of having to use non-lethal force in a situation, however that would have been the perfect opportunity to require us to "acquire" a TOS phaser that's set to stun. Then let us keep it too. How cool would it be to introduce mission "rewards" by letting us pick them up at the start and keep them when we're done rather than just handing them out at the end of the mission.

I really did not like the part with Scotty being my go to guy on Cassidy's liquor preferences. Scotty should have been involved with some kind of engineering miracle to help me deal with the comet, not giving me tips on how to get Cassidy "feelin' good". The whole "mix a drink" puzzle didn't fit the situation, there's a comet spewing triolic radiation threatening the very fabric of space and time and I'm worrying about what kind of glass Cassidy likes her drinks in? I would have rather just handed her one of my stun grenades and took what I needed.

Blowing up the comet was fine, not blowing up the Klingon ships made it interesting. It wasn't too bad leading them all to the far side of the station, then high tailing it back to the comet for a few good hits. But then the moment was completely ruined when Drake gets on the comm and informs me of some secret Borg device he installed, without my knowledge and completely oblivious to my chief engineer, that I can use to go back to the future. Why, exactly, didn't we use this at the start of the mission? And if my chief engineer couldn't notice something like installed in HER engineering room, she's fired.

I played all the Devidian missions on Elite. I understand that if you are on elite you and your entire team can be insta-killed if you are all within a certain proximity to the group. However, and maybe this was just my fault, I could not set up some decent angles where my BOs were spaced far enough apart to avoid all being one-shot killed at the same time. It felt very confined and took the fun out of figuring out the best way to attack the mobs, leading me just to zerg the last couple groups just to get it over with. If you're going to put one-shot kill enemies in the game, at least give us a map where we can fight them effectively in.

The irony here, the final boss was the easiest Devidian I fought since he never once did the insta-kill hold on me and my entire team. It was easy to position and flank around him and he went down the first time with no deaths. Hopefully someday Elite will mean more than just dealing with cheap shots and "making it even harder" is more than just a cluttered map to fight in.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:

Let's see...

Mira Romaine, Lights of Zetar. He was interested, but she seemed ambivalent. He hurried around obsessing over her health. Never did get anywhere with her.

Carolyn Palomas, Who Mourns for Adonais. She was just kind of there, and never showed any more interest in him than in any other away team member, even after Scotty got zapped trying to defend her. She quickly went off to be with Apollo. He never did get anywhere with her.

The Dancer, A Wolf in the Fold. On Argelius, he briefly pursued a dancer before being possessed by Redjac and killing her.

I don't usually quote from Memory Alpha, but even there they realized he wasn't a ladies' man.

A gentleman wouldn't make a comment like the one he made in this mission.
You forgot Uhura in STV. Besides, bars, booze and women are drawn together like Feds to Borg at Ker'rat. How could Scotty have NOT been a lady's man if he was a bar-hopper? He'd have to either be gay or dead, Jim.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe he was just a wildly unsuccessful lady's man.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I really like the concept of having to use non-lethal force in a situation, however that would have been the perfect opportunity to require us to "acquire" a TOS phaser that's set to stun. Then let us keep it too. How cool would it be to introduce mission "rewards" by letting us pick them up at the start and keep them when we're done rather than just handing them out at the end of the mission.
I think these ideas are brilliant.

I gotta say, it would have been nice if my Klink had had the option to just knock out Cassidy and get Scotty's goody, rather than playing bartenderess. Fed side, believable. Klink side....errr, not so much.