Lt. Commander
# 21
11-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
If it's really a problem, change the name from "Photonic Fleet" to "Request Reinforcements," and remove the flicker effect from the ships. Problem solved.
shrug, like i said a few post before this. its prob never going to change, and i know some people who like it so .... yea .... guess ill have to get over it although your idea there would indeed solve it but then vice admirals have 2 requist assist powers
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-15-2010, 01:54 AM
I'd assume the torpedoes work like solid objects on the holodeck work, to some extent. The holodeck does replicate some of the solid items in the simulations, realize.

So it probably replicates the torpedo and transports antimatter over in small quantities. (per TNG, it can be transported in small quantities).

That's how I assume it anyway. End result is ships that can fire and shoot torpedoes. Yay. Just what I need to cover my behind sometimes on my sci alt :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Yeah, photonic fleet makes me think of the DS9 episode where the station's security protocol engaged. The ops replicator made a phaser emitter that started shooting at them, presumably drawing power from the replicator itself. So I imagine the holoemitters more or less create crude phaser emitters out of the photonic matter and then pump energy into them remotely. Kind of an interesting strategy, the weapons wouldn't be meant for surviving long, as they would be dematerialized and then recreated the next time.

Makes me wonder what's actually 'inside' the photonic ships. Obviously the shape could be a 'simple' hologram, but I imagine at least some of the exterior is materialized photonic matter, like the normal holodeck stuff. Then somewhere inside is the basic 'equipment' or 'structures' it needs to take the energy from the emitters and create propulsive energy, collimated weapon beams, and shields. But nothing like you'd see in a real ship, probably.

If it were in the normal holodeck, I could imagine the objects might not have anything inside that's really functional, since the emitters could just simulate any function with lights and movement. But if this was the case with photonic fleet, the emitters might as well just materialize photonic explosions directly on the enemy. It's apparent that this probably isn't so, so it's more like the emitters focus on creating something holographic where the ships are, which then are used to project weapons at the enemy. At least it seems so to me.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
If it's really a problem, change the name from "Photonic Fleet" to "Request Reinforcements," and remove the flicker effect from the ships. Problem solved.
We have that, too. It's a separate ability called Fleet Support. I just love it when I'm able to engage Photonic Fleet and Fleet Support at the same time during the same battle!
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
I like Cosmic_One's explanation. I have to admit, I've always found the idea of sentient holograms kinda stupid. (Red Dwarf'sd Rimmer is the only one I can take with a grain of salt) Why bother building ships when you can just send a fleet of holograms?
Because it's just as bad if a hologram dies as it is if a person dies?
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Because it's just as bad if a hologram dies as it is if a person dies?
so .... killing some1 with a holographic torpedo is double murder because ... not only does the enemy get destroyed but ... zomg the innocent hologram is dead!?
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
A thought occurs.

We seem to be assuming in this conversation that photonic fleet works the way traditional Trek holograms do, they've been traditionally explained, with light projections surrounded by forcefields and on-the-fly replication for things like food and bullets. However, since this is the early 25th century, we could assume that Starfleet figured out a way to reverse-engineer some of those advanced projection technologies Voyager found out about (i.e. isomorphic projection and particle synthesis) and implement them on a wide scale. It would iron out some of the inconsistencies (maybe).
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
photonic matter
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Either something is made up of energy (light) OR matter. Not both. As far as I remember the holodeck just uses force fields to make things "feel" real, they're still only projections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malashenko89 View Post
However, since this is the early 25th century, we could assume that Starfleet figured out a way to [...]
Of course. Star Trek holograms are a giant pot of BS, anyways, and the franchise never displayed much consistency when it comes to photonic stuff. So in essence, it doesn't matter how STO deals with it, since the series already messed it up.

It still "feels" wrong, at least to me - and apparently some other players as well. *shrugs* I dunno, I would just prefer something more "classic", I guess. And not basically a copy of Fleet Support, whose only difference is that the trigger condition is balanced by the NPC ship's strength.