Lt. Commander
# 21
11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
I do support this and hope that klingons will get some new species as well. But thing with the federation compared to the klingon empire, federation is made up of thousands of species.

I heard that there was some "cat" species similar to Caitians that were coming to the klingon empire but i think they are still being approved my cbs
Kzinti. I think the problem with them is that CBS doesn't own the rights to the species.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
Kzinti. I think the problem with them is that CBS doesn't own the rights to the species.
Its more complicated than that... but it is a good paraphrase of the issue.

We are instead looking into other Feline species that might be allied with the KDF.

Someone on the team mentioned the "Purrsians" and I spit my coffee out over my desk... so we're still looking. :p

btw... don't mistake the 4 species on the list as Fed centric - we are looking to add more species to all factions.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
The fact that the Federation has more playable species is simply a reflection of the Federation-centric point of view we had from all of the shows, not a sign that the devs hate Klingons. The Federation simply has a much much larger pool of aliens to draw from, whereas the Klingons...well if we were strictly canon here then the only playable species in the Klingon faction would be Klingons.
Limed for Truth.

Everything I've ever read about Klingons has pretty much stated that they're a race of conquerors. Conquered races are suitable for menial labor and resource gathering and that's about it. I could see some sort of an alliance formed with the Gorn, but the Gorn still wouldn't actually be considered KDF (at least, not by the Klingons anyway). Orions, Lethean, and Nausicaans... I'm not even sure how the Klingons can stand to be associated with undisciplined pirates and barbaric mercenaries.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Someone on the team mentioned the "Purrsians" and I spit my coffee out over my desk... so we're still looking. :p
Careful... they'll blacken the sky with their hairballs...
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:

We are instead looking into other Feline species that might be allied with the KDF.

btw... don't mistake the 4 species on the list as Fed centric - we are looking to add more species to all factions.
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Lyran Stahl, please look into these guys if you haven't already! I have fond memories of playing as them in Starfleet Command as a kid. Having them join the Klinks would be interesting indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I STILL don't understand the whole klingon joined trilll thing.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=99233
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=145685
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=153071

Lt. Commander
# 27
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:

How about one of these sentient feline species seen in the Trek universe instead:

Lyran Star Empire? (SFC2)

Mirak Star League? (SFC2)

Sivaoan? (ST novel "Uhura's Song")

Eeiauoan? (ST novel "Uhura's Song")

Or these non-Trek universe ones?

Khanate of Orion? (Starfire)

Klirathi? (Wing Commander)

Hrruban? (Anne McCaffrey's Doona trilogy: "Decision at Doona", first published in 1969)

Mrrshan? (Master Of Orion)

Aslan? (Traveller RPG)

Or just throw some random letters together then tweak a little so it can be pronounced (or not) and viola! You have a new race name for your new KDF cat species. Tweak the Caitian model to look more unkempt, add in nasty claws, and tweak the face to add a vicious toothy fang-filled snarl and we are ready for Tribble!

Lt. Commander
# 28
11-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Uh no... please no non-Star Trek races

before we know it we'll have hordes of Goa'uld swinging their Batleths at an army of Yoda's armed with sonic screwdrivers :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I used to be against Joined Trills for the KDF because I believe Trill is a member of the Federation (it's a contentious issue), but I realised that isn't actually a good reason when you think about it.

In Star Trek, they seem to have this weird thing where you're always a citizen of the planet your species is from, which isn't something that happens in the real world. Just because someone is a Trill doesn't mean they're necessarily a citizen of Trill-planet, and therefore a Fed citizen. Just like for example someone may be Chinese but they don't have to be a Chinese citizen, and they can join the military of whatever country they are citizen of.

Of course, that logic means that any race should be able to join the KDF, and any race can join Starfleet. It's up to you whether thats a good idea or not.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig32 View Post
Uh no... please no non-Star Trek races

before we know it we'll have hordes of Goa'uld swinging their Batleths at an army of Yoda's armed with sonic screwdrivers :p
Plus, there's no way STO could get the rights to use non-Trek species anyway.