Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
11-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conrad
Do you really think that if a world was discovered containing rich amounts of Dilithium would not be approached by the Federation if it was a pre-warp society? H*** no! The Federation would hang the Prime Directive and jump at getting the minerals as soon as possible.
Ask the Halkans.

In 2267, Captain James T. Kirk paid a diplomatic visit to the Halkans, in order to negotiate for the Halkan's abundant supply of Dilithium. But the Halkans refused, due to their totally pacifistic nature. They even reminded Kirk that he had the power to take them forcibly.

And his answer?

"But we won't. Think about that."

To this day, the Halkans are not members of the Federation, and the Federation has not thrown the Prime Directive out the window in order to get the Dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-14-2010, 04:51 PM
let the Typhoon and Vesta classes take up the role of battleship... the typhoon for its coolness and the vesta... for.. well... the canon peeps.
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
They even reminded Kirk that he had the power to take them forcibly
Starfleet had already thrown the Prime Directive out the window. Kirk chose to uphold it and therefore makes a different situation. If anything, you confirmed my point that Starfleet is about choosing what's best for the Federation over the Prime Directive. They chose not to pursue this case because if they went over Kirk's head, Kirk would have been in full protest and the matter would have brought Starfleet's hypocrisy into the light. For all we know, Starfleet has a secret mining operation that goes on there anyway.

The captains each have their own way of upholding the Prime Directive, but the captain's don't dictate the type of ships that Starfleet commissions hence why a battleship line is very likely.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-17-2010, 04:18 AM
imo the excelsior should never be as capable as the sovereign, due to starfleet tech progression.

as far as the whole "battleship" thing goes, even when they have built ships like the defiant, they were only intended for defence (keeping the fed safe from borg attacks), not attack.

Something else that i would point out (im sure someone has already though) that while the federation and starfleet are set on exploring the galaxy, not conquering it, their neighbours aren't. the klingons, the romulans etc all pose a threat to the federation, and for such a big organisation defence has to be something taken very seriously, hence the kind of weapons they've developed. they have to be able to show that, as sisko said, they "can and will defend themselves".

calling the defiant a "warship" is a sadly vague term that gets thrown around way too much (even in trek) imo.
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-17-2010, 05:54 AM
In Star Trek the Sovereign its the more powerfull ship of the Federation. In this game, the Sovereign its the worst T5 crus the feds have.
Hell, we not even have a Sovereign bridge, we have a Prometheus Bridge, but not a Sovereign one.. we even have a some variations to the Galaxy and Defiant bridges.
Sovereign its the forgoten class, even if its the actual flag ship in the game (Enterprise E under cap Data), but the old Excelsior have the same hull, more fire power and more turn rate.
Lt. Commander
# 46
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
I always kind of wished that ships leveled. It wouldn't make complete sense though...but would be cool from a gameplay point of view.

Similar to how certain items "level" with you, I thought it'd be cool that the longer you flew a specific ship, the better it would become. So by the time you were ready to take a new tier of ship, you could either choose to continue to level your old ship, or pick up the new tier. The new tier would be at the same level as the leveled up old ship. So if a person decided to level an old ship, they wouldn't be penalized or be FORCED to take a new ship.

Hull, Energy, Consoles, BO layouts would all increase on your ships as you raised your level. Of course, the problem would be is that a person in a TOS Connie would be able to take on a Sovvie. But that's already happening with "refits" of old ships. So why not? I for one would love to take a TOS Connie to the highest level and still be able to kick @.
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcomZiran View Post
I always kind of wished that ships leveled.
If you limit it to a certain degree, that would be very cool. This way low-tier ships would remain viable for a longer period, but newer ships would still be better. As it should be, for reasons of canonicity, realism and atmosphere.

In fact, I think you'd only have to upgrade the BO power slots. The biggest difficulty I discovered with my Nova at the later Captain-levels was that I did not have enough BO abilities. Pretty much everything else (except for the hull) can be upgraded with Mk-gear, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
If you limit it to a certain degree, that would be very cool. This way low-tier ships would remain viable for a longer period, but newer ships would still be better. As it should be, for reasons of canonicity, realism and atmosphere.

In fact, I think you'd only have to upgrade the BO power slots. The biggest difficulty I discovered with my Nova at the later Captain-levels was that I did not have enough BO abilities. Pretty much everything else (except for the hull) can be upgraded with Mk-gear, after all.
Weapons Slots can't be upgraded through consoles or MK Gear either.

Based on that, I would be in favor of upgrade ships being given 1 additional weapon slot, fore and aft. If you do that, and upgrade the BO slots, then you'd have some workable low level ships. Would the hull still be weak? Sure, but your BOs can overcome that.
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
In Star Trek the Sovereign its the more powerfull ship of the Federation. In this game, the Sovereign its the worst T5 crus the feds have.
Hell, we not even have a Sovereign bridge, we have a Prometheus Bridge, but not a Sovereign one.. we even have a some variations to the Galaxy and Defiant bridges.
Sovereign its the forgoten class, even if its the actual flag ship in the game (Enterprise E under cap Data), but the old Excelsior have the same hull, more fire power and more turn rate.
So wrong

Starcruiser is a (marginally) better support ship

Excelsior is inferior due to limited heals

Assault Cruiser is nearly as powerful as the Excelsior in terms of DPS, but with nearly the same healing potential as the SC. It might "only" do 80% of the damage in the short term, but in the long term it can stay much longer in combat, which means that throughout a match it will do more damage than the Excelsior.

I can fit dual EP2W3s, dual ET1s, dual EP2S2s, DEM3 along with beta and 2 beam skills. With that setup Ive broken 1mil damage in a C&H match 3 times in 2 days, with an average around 450-550k for a "full" match.

Not bad for someone that started flying the ship 4 days ago eh?
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matunus
I have to say that the souv does not need a refit, it is NOT a battleship.
100 % agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
imo the excelsior should never be as capable as the sovereign, due to starfleet tech progression.
Basicly I agree. But the Defaint shouldnt be capable to do that, too. And the Intrebit. And a B'rel class BoP.
But in a game you just cant make a high level ship class that much stronger then another one.

But to refits; there are limits. I mean, i would love to see Constitutions and NXs and Mirandas on high levels but it would not be very reasonable to see them blowing up a souverign.
I still like the Idea of "Secondary ship classes"; wich means there are "retrofits" of almost everything from runabout over NX till Constitution, that work with the Skill of the prime Ship (Assault or Retrofit cruiser for the Constitution for example) but are, in 1 vs 1no match for original T5 ships. But they would have any kind of support abilitys wich would make them a better choice then the "prime ship" now and then in a team.
or may be, at last, they come as some kind of t4 refit but just available at admiral, so you could at last do the Daily stuff (exploration, deferi missions ect) with them.