Lt. Commander
I'm planning on buying the lifetime STO package next week. I've been playing mostly Guild Wars for ~5 years (Heroes Ascent PvP) and am thinking about the transition I have to make. In Guild Wars, you had to unlock skills by aquiring points through kills/wins in matches (now you can buy the pvp unlock pack). PvE is pretty much optional. I've been reading through some posts & I checked out the wiki a bit, it seems that I'll be forced to pve to unlock the skills. I can live with that if I can manage to make friends & have fun while doing the quests. I wonder though, is there a faster way or at least a guide that can show me how to find the specific skills I would need for my build? Being a fan of Star Trek: Voyager & my favorite Guild Wars class being the necromancer, I would like to make a science Intrepid & later on a Sovereign frontliner.

Sorry for being lazy & not searching through all of the posts but if someone knows of a link to a guide for quickly achieving a pvp-worthy science ship, could you link me to it, please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I'd sugguest you play STO for awhile before commiting to the Lifetime Subscription. Liking Star Trek doesn't mean you'll like this interpritation of Star Trek so spend 2-3 months seeing if you like it before spending a lot of money on it. I've seen far too many posts from people who thought they'd like it and spent a lot of money only to fine it really wasn't the game for them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I still play GW a bit; started in '05.

The skill system is different here. All skills are 'unlocked', but you need to put points into them. You gain skill points as a form of XP, by doing PvE or PvP. You can only add points to skills of your 'rank' or below. So at Lieutenant, you can only throw points into Lt skills.

There are also Bridge Officer abilities and Kit abilities...these are more like GW skills in that you get access to them if you have a BOfcr with that ability, or wear the appropriate 'kit'.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
When you get through the tutorial, you will be Lt. 2 (level 2). You cannont PVP until you are level 6. And at level 6, you have access to the Klingon faction. PVP is level banded by rank. So at level 6, you will be PVP'ing against level 6-10 players. When you hit level 11 (LtCmdr), you will pvp against level 11-20 players.

I must say that PVP at Lt level for Federation absolutely bites (at least against Klingons). The bird-of-prey for the Klinks is far superior to the Miranda in terms of maneuverability, and can thus make better use of cannon weapons.

If you're serious about PVP, consider rolling a Klink when you hit level 6.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Oh, now i get it! Your level gives access to skills & you can acquire points through pvp to level those skills. Thx for the replies.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicing01 View Post
Oh, now i get it! Your level gives access to skills & you can acquire points through pvp to level those skills. Thx for the replies.
You can do it via PvE as well. It isn't a PvP based game by far, although I've seen people get *really* into their builds for it.