Lt. Commander
# 41
11-18-2010, 04:51 AM
you dont have to be at full throttle till you line up with the last ring, then you can jam the throttle to full and get a mulligan, me i did it in the varanus fleet support carrier at full impulse muahaha, now thats faster then light!
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-19-2010, 01:26 AM
this is gold. ill enjoy picking this post apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo86 View Post
I suffer with lag and it made this particular puzzle very frustrating. By the third ring, my ship was dancing all over the screen and ended up shooting off in the wrong direction. I achieved it by the sixth or seventh attempt, by pure fluke I might add.
I live in Australia. South Side of brisbane. i get lag, but yet in all 4 of my active toons, i have only failed the time warp part once. Fortunately i did not lag this time, but lag is no fault of cryptic. you need to look at ways of bettering your ping time to the server. if you are on ADSL, i suggest you disable the line crossover(think thats the term for it- cant remember now) , which will take a couple of hours to happen, since it happens at the exchange, but it will decrease ping time significantly.

Quote:
This whole mission was badly executed anyway. The slingshot idea was original,
not really. the same maneuver was attempted in an episode of TNG and also VOYAGER

Quote:
but surely it would have been better using a bridge-only puzzle whereby you configured your starship's consoles (by degrees, angles of attack, impulse power, etc) to perform the manouevre. Perhaps even having you consult your ship's computer for a historical look back on how Captain Kirk did it. By meddling with your ship you would have sensed a lot of satisfaction from getting it right, perhaps even arriving in the wrong time as a failure option, and having to fight your bay back.
the first line of suggestion there would require a radical overhaul of the space flight engine, since right now it is impossible for you to be on the bridge, and have your ship moving through sector space at the same time

Quote:
Scotty looked nothing like Scotty and the whole cocktail mixing puzzle was bizarre considering the impending doom. In previous missions you had the choice to knock someone out or talk to them. Why couldn't we have knocked out the equipment vendor and stole her flux regulator thingy?
i do admit i had a bit of suspended disbelief when scotty looked more like the 2009 movie scotty than the TOS scotty, but bad graphics can be the cause of that

Quote:
The final third was also impossibly difficult - why oh why a defiant class vessel equipped with antiproton weapons could not take on 23rd century D-7's is a mystery.

Bah!
because you aren't actually MEANT to kill any of those ships. your trying not to disrupt events that happened in the past- that could do irreparable damage to the timeline. of course one could argue that destroying Driffens comet is already doing irreparable damage to the timeline, but Drake has got people working to cover that up for you.

if you read your mission briefing, your job was to go back in time to destroy Driffens Comet- which would stop the Devidians from feeding on people in Drozana station. As we saw with Scotty- if the devidians had been allowed to feed, they would have affected the timeline.

as for the mission difficulty- i only found it really hard to complete on elite- and that was because i ran out of regenerators form killed in one hit so many times on the gorund
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-19-2010, 04:43 AM
apt.pupil

I see what you are saying, but I apologise if I made it look like I'm blaming lag on Cryptic. I would love to have a high-end gaming PC to play STO on, but I just don't have the money to buy one! I have lived with lag from day one and I do not have the technical know-how to do anything about it.

Slingshot was attempted in TNG and VGR?!?! Episode names please!!

Reference the bridge only puzzle, I didn't mean it had to be real time. Most puzzles in this game you can spend forever on if you want to, so the in theory the ship would not be moving through space and reacting to your puzzle choices. Rather you would complete puzzle, click "Engage" for example in your hypothetical text box and you will then cut to the space view and succeed or fail depending on whether you selected the correct options (like in the cocktail mini-game on the latest FE.) Would it have not have been fun going from console to console/deck to deck/BOFF to BOFF trying to calibrate your ship to the maximum effect?

My graphics are pretty sharp even for a medium spec computer, and McCoy looked exactly like McCoy on the previous mission. Scotty looked nothing like James Doohan or Simon Pegg, end of story. Perhaps they couldn't adhere to artistic license??

And I know I wasn't supposed to attack the D-7's, I take the time to read the mission briefs because I like to get involved with a good story, but whenever I respawned they kept manouevring directly over the asteroid fragments, meaning I got annihilated before I could even squeeze off a shot at one of the rocks. Whether this was some sort of glitch I do not know, but I had no other choice but to take on a few to thin the numbers. Not that I succeeded, in fact most of the asteroid fragments were destroyed by the shockwave of my exploding warp core...
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
apt.pupil

I see what you are saying, but I apologise if I made it look like I'm blaming lag on Cryptic. I would love to have a high-end gaming PC to play STO on, but I just don't have the money to buy one! I have lived with lag from day one and I do not have the technical know-how to do anything about it.
the minimum you need for decent internet speed on your pc wise is nough to play this game on minimum requirements. the rest has entirely to do with your internet connection type.

ADSL technology uses an old copper pair wiring system to deliver the internet through the phone line. ADSL's speed and latency(which is relative to lag) are dependant on several factors- mostly out of your control:
  1. The distance from your home to the exchange
  2. The length of either RJ45 phone cable or Cat5e Enthernet cable running from your modem to your pc
  3. Line attenuation(english: the amount of noise that can cause a delay in signal processing or damage to the signal)
  4. line interleaving. this is what i mentioned you could fix yourself earlier.
all in all, you need to call up your Internet Service Provider to get a straight answer when it comes to ADSL internet technology. If you live in Australia, we have a mangled mess of ADSL, Cable, or Wireless- while our government is trying to build a fibre to the home network. Fibre is preferred because of the greater speeds that are not nearly as effected by distance, since the information travels through fibre optic cables at the speed of light, with a much higher bandwidth capability, which affects download speed

Quote:
Slingshot was attempted in TNG and VGR?!?! Episode names please!!
unfortunately i am terrible with names, but the TNG episode was one where Picard helps a friend of young wesley crusher from having the runabout he stole being crushed in a gas giants stratosphere. how he does that is to use the gravimetric pull of the gas giant to slingshot the runabout to safe orbit. And with voyager, i can specifically remember the circumstances anymore. its been too long since i watched it, but iirc it was in season 2 or 3. it wasnt a major highlight of the episode, but it happened. i remember tom Paris performing it

Quote:
Reference the bridge only puzzle, I didn't mean it had to be real time. Most puzzles in this game you can spend forever on if you want to, so the in theory the ship would not be moving through space and reacting to your puzzle choices. Rather you would complete puzzle, click "Engage" for example in your hypothetical text box and you will then cut to the space view and succeed or fail depending on whether you selected the correct options (like in the cocktail mini-game on the latest FE.) Would it have not have been fun going from console to console/deck to deck/BOFF to BOFF trying to calibrate your ship to the maximum effect?
to be completely honest, i would prefer to pilot the ship myself through the process, rather than mucking around with on display text prompts.

Quote:
My graphics are pretty sharp even for a medium spec computer, and McCoy looked exactly like McCoy on the previous mission. Scotty looked nothing like James Doohan or Simon Pegg, end of story. Perhaps they couldn't adhere to artistic license??
there i get the short end of the stick. im on an intel core duo E7300, with 4GB RAM and a RADEON HD4850. my substandard components make ground graphics very very terrible, and if i try to boost them above defaults, i get cryptic game crashes. space is no issue.

Quote:
And I know I wasn't supposed to attack the D-7's, I take the time to read the mission briefs because I like to get involved with a good story, but whenever I respawned they kept manouevring directly over the asteroid fragments, meaning I got annihilated before I could even squeeze off a shot at one of the rocks. Whether this was some sort of glitch I do not know, but I had no other choice but to take on a few to thin the numbers. Not that I succeeded, in fact most of the asteroid fragments were destroyed by the shockwave of my exploding warp core...
i only ever had the problem of B'Vats ship dying repeatedly from something that i couldn't see in my science vessel. my solution was to leave the map for half an hour, and then go back. eventually i did get the comet broken and the smaller fragments destroyed before the D7s could even get close to draining my shields.

I never had that same problem with my Engineer, or my tactical however(both fly sovereign class ships) so i dont consider any foul play there