Lt. Commander
# 1 Diminishing Returns?
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I've always been told that stacking consoles has diminishing returns. But, these data show console stacking to be linear. Is there a flaw in my logic?

Trained 9/9 cannons, 7/9 phasers

Phaser DHC Base: 829 dps
+22 Phaser Relay: 892 dps
+22 Phaser Relay: 956 dps
+22 Phaser Relay: 1020 dps
+22 Phaser Relay: 1083 dps

That is 63 or 64 skill points (rounding) per +skill from the console. The results are linear.

Also, using +22 Pre-Fire Chambers yielded identical results. So any combination of phaser relays + prefire chambers will give you the same +dps.

Finally, if anyone was curious, respecing to 9/9 phaser increases the base dps to 851; then the results remain linear again from that point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
There are diminishing returns on some consoles, but not others. Ones that add a +skill or a +% do not have diminishing returns except for that one +35% shield strength console, which you can only have one of.

Ones that add just a flat +x to some nebulous value are effected by diminishing returns. A good example would be armor consoles. Try stacking 2 armor consoles together.

The same effect comes from skills. For example Polarize Hull adds +x to damage resistance. But if you activate and look at your resistance %, it will be much lower.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Interesting. I didnt know the weapon consoles where stricly additivate. I assumed they worked like the Armor consoles. Those work on the basic formula of NET DAMAGE = BASE DAMAGE / ( 1 + (<armor> / 100) ). Where <armor> is the total amount of armor points from console, abilities, etc.