Lt. Commander
# 21
11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe this is something those rare material drops can be used for. Want to upgrade the ensign science BO slot on your Sabre to Lt? You need 2 Beta-Tachyon Particle Trace and 1Antithoron Particle Trace. Meanwhile upgrading the existing Lt tactical slot on the same Sabre to Lt.Cmdr would only require 1 Metreon Particle Trace.

This would help drive ship changes to be within their class, and to make these upgrades a much slower (and meaningful!) process. So when you see a player in a decked out Nova in T5, you know they put in the effort and time to do it and you won't see 80% of players running around T5 with every low-tier ship under the sun; they would still mostly be the original T5/T4-refit ships.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
Maybe this is something those rare material drops can be used for. Want to upgrade the ensign science BO slot on your Sabre to Lt? You need 2 Beta-Tachyon Particle Trace and 1Antithoron Particle Trace. Meanwhile upgrading the existing Lt tactical slot on the same Sabre to Lt.Cmdr would only require 1 Metreon Particle Trace.

This would help drive ship changes to be within their class, and to make these upgrades a much slower (and meaningful!) process. So when you see a player in a decked out Nova in T5, you know they put in the effort and time to do it and you won't see 80% of players running around T5 with every low-tier ship under the sun; they would still mostly be the original T5/T4-refit ships.
Yup, i think everyone agrees on that point.

The USS Equinox comes to mind. Although the Nova is supposedly a Science ship, the Equinox crew saw itself forced to make do with whatever they had in order to survive. And that also means making the ship combat worthy.

Another plus that i'm thinkin about, is that Exploration would gain a whole new life with this system in place, so it TRULY is an win-win idea. Just hope that devs take notice and decide to make something like this come true for us.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Bump for great justice!

Come on people, an simple "I agree!" or even "+1 /10characters" would help a lot

Please dont let this one get buried.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd love for something like this to make its way ingame...
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Agreed. Granted I like my Intrepid Retrofit and fly it often, I do miss my Nova and wouldn't mind seeing a T-5 version.

However I know many will scream it'd ruin Immersion, but heck. That's out the window when a old D-7 can rip down the shields of a Sovereign.

But this gets my support.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I like your ideas OP, however I'd like to see some specifics on where might see the ships end up stat wise.

Also, how do you intend to overcome the ship's power penalty, which applies to shield power (and weapons I think?) Would this be occuring naturally, be redesignating the ship? Or do you intend for the power penalty to still apply?
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
I like your ideas OP, however I'd like to see some specifics on where might see the ships end up stat wise.

Also, how do you intend to overcome the ship's power penalty, which applies to shield power (and weapons I think?) Would this be occuring naturally, be redesignating the ship? Or do you intend for the power penalty to still apply?
I'm still reading your ideas on the subject, however i loved the idea of having to upgrade specific components of the ship (like in a to-do list) before it qualifies for a tier change. Power penalty could be easelly explained, from my point of view, by a warp core upgrade.

I don't think it would ruin immersion, since we already have several examples of ships which have the exact same hull but it is in different tiers, like the Excelsior, and the Defiant.

I don't think it's too far fetched to say that a Constitution for instance can benefit from a T5 Intrepid Warp core. Adapted for the connie, of course..
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-20-2010, 09:26 AM
I like this suggestion. It's a nice varient of my idea http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=189719 . I honestly don't mind which, but I hope Cryptic implements one of our ideas as it'd be great to reuse older ship classes.

EDIT: I can see yours as being a little "Grindy" though. Would it be more grinding then it's worth, do you think? I like the idea of upgrading the ship myself, but...
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
I'm still reading your ideas on the subject, however i loved the idea of having to upgrade specific components of the ship (like in a to-do list) before it qualifies for a tier change. Power penalty could be easelly explained, from my point of view, by a warp core upgrade.

I don't think it would ruin immersion, since we already have several examples of ships which have the exact same hull but it is in different tiers, like the Excelsior, and the Defiant.

I don't think it's too far fetched to say that a Constitution for instance can benefit from a T5 Intrepid Warp core. Adapted for the connie, of course..
I wasn't talking so much as how to explain away the power penalty, so much as how to address the actually penalty that applies to flying a Lower Tier ship with MK X and above gear.

So, based on that, would your idea actually reclassify the ship up to Tiers 2, 3, 4 and 5? Meaning if you took a Miranda and upgraded it, would it's Tier classification increase, or would it still be a Tier 1 ship, but using upgraded parts and added slots?
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
I wasn't talking so much as how to explain away the power penalty, so much as how to address the actually penalty that applies to flying a Lower Tier ship with MK X and above gear.

So, based on that, would your idea actually reclassify the ship up to Tiers 2, 3, 4 and 5? Meaning if you took a Miranda and upgraded it, would it's Tier classification increase, or would it still be a Tier 1 ship, but using upgraded parts and added slots?
Ah no no, the ships would be reclassified.

Like i said, this could be done by having specific pre-requisites.

For example, if you want to make a miranda T2 worthy, you'd have to upgrade its Hull Material, Warp Core, Phaser Emitters, Torpedo Tubes and Impulse Drives. *Insert other systems here*. Once these components have been upgraded, you'd have either an "Upgrade Tier" button or it'd be automatically reclassified.

These components would be harder and harder to upgrade with each tier change like i said in the op. So it'd take 1 day of material gathering for ONE tier upgrade, 3+1 days for TWO tiers upgrade, 9+3+1 for THREE tiers upgrade and 27+9+3+1 for FOUR tier upgrades.
Closed Thread