Lt. Commander
# 31 Fang & G13
09-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I use both the Idealzon Fang and the Logitech G13 at the same time with my keyboar commands. Works well together....expanding shortcuts. However, you have to remember where everything is..lol
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-19-2010, 07:49 PM
If I hadn't been an avid player of World of ******** prior, I would have been using the standard keyboard and mouse that came with the computer. But since I was always on WoW, I picked up a G15 Keyboard and a Razer Naga before I ever bought STO. I love the Naga because I tend to move around a lot with my mouse in space and having the buttons on my mouse makes it so much easier to do things.

As of right now, the keyboard isn't using too many of it's macro functions or even the LCD screen (It's so bland).
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
I use the Saitek "Cyborg Command Unit", which was the cheapest gameboard I could see. It's a fine piece of hardware.

The software for programming it isn't very intuitive, and it sometimes activates two powers at once, which I think is probably a result of me not programming it right.

(Specifically- let's say I map a button on it to Ctrl+4. Hitting that button activates the power set for Ctrl+4 and the power set to just the number 4. This isn't a problem for me as I've arranged the powers so this happens to complementary things, but it would be a problem for some)

...and I can't help but think I'm using their indecipherable profile editor incorrectly. But I would reluctantly recommend spending the extra money for a Belkin or Logitech instead. Should be much easier to set up.
I think I have that controller, it was a bit annoying as the joystick etc were not particularly well placed or useful, and the interface was rather unintuitive.

I assume it's the same for all keypads, but the important thing is to avoid ctrl/alt/shift combinations.

The problem is:
- map button 'A' to 'ctrl-4' -> "40% speed".
- map button 'B' to '3' -> "fire torpedoes"

That works fine, but pressing A+B will tend to send ctrl-4 "40% speed" followed by ctrl-3 "30% speed", and my torpedoes would never fire .

The answer I found was to remap '40% speed' to an unused/useless single keyboard button (e.g. 'k'), and then map the controller button to that.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
I think I have that controller, it was a bit annoying as the joystick etc were not particularly well placed or useful, and the interface was rather unintuitive.

I assume it's the same for all keypads, but the important thing is to avoid ctrl/alt/shift combinations.

The problem is:
- map button 'A' to 'ctrl-4' -> "40% speed".
- map button 'B' to '3' -> "fire torpedoes"

That works fine, but pressing A+B will tend to send ctrl-4 "40% speed" followed by ctrl-3 "30% speed", and my torpedoes would never fire .

The answer I found was to remap '40% speed' to an unused/useless single keyboard button (e.g. 'k'), and then map the controller button to that.
the main thing i have is the naga mapped to the numpad and the alt/shift/ctrl keys on the g13 that way if i need to activate an ability i can just press either combination and not have to worry.. and in regards to throttle thats set to my naga wheel and the torpedos are set to the 2 (front) and 4 (aft).
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow
I use the Saitek "Cyborg Command Unit", which was the cheapest gameboard I could see. It's a fine piece of hardware..
I wrote above that the saitek was a bit poor, I'd like to revise that...

After using the g13 and the saitek unit, a mini-review of the 2 keypads:

- the lcd display on the g13 is very cool, but I can't find any practical use for it. I don't look at my hands when playing, if I did then things would go even worse than they normally do. I managed to get the fps and internal pc temperatures displayed on it, but I don't really look at those either.

- the control software for the logitech is better. The ability to record a macro on the fly is great, but most of the time you want to map g14 to 'p', mapping it to a macro that presses 'p' makes the overview screen a complete mess.

- build quality of the logitech unit is far superior (the thumb-thingy on the saitek unit always feels like it's about to snap off - although it never has to be fair).

- the buttons on the saitek unit I find far better. I have large-ish hands:

-> The g13 has a lot of keys that I find pretty painful to press (g1/g8/g7/g14 require moving my hand, g2/9/6/13 aren't very easy to find, g15-19 are basically 'unfindable' for me, pressing the joystick is poor, and the button to the left of the joystick is fiddly if you use the other button near the joystick or the joystick itself). For me personally, there are 6 'great' buttons and some others that I can find with some degree of accuracy... which is rather terrible .

-> The saitek is simply a far superior design. I can press/locate most of the buttons easily, my little finger rests on the left-side buttons. The only slight downers are buttons 21 (under the palm - weird), 16/15 (2 buttons for my thumb is overkill) and F1-4 which require stretching.

I want to like the g13, and if it works for you - I'm happy, but I can't overstate how terrible I find the keypad layout. It might be hand size, but I would recommend anyone buying one to try it out first!

----

In terms of the keypad in-game, some macro ideas:
- use the in-game macro (explained elsewhere) to execute abilities with a shared cooldown.
"engineering team 3 + engineering team 2" -> that will execute engineering team 3, or if it's on cooldown execute engineering team 2.
- use a keypad macro to cause a button to switch between 2 abilities without shared cooldowns (useful to save on buttons, but provides no real advantage)
"transfer shield strength + extend shields" -> program the keypad to send a different button on each press. Not very useful really.
- use an in-game macro to put relevant abilities on one button (e.g. rsp+epts+balance shields)
- and using speed presets can also be decent.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm running a G13 with all my power keys remapped into the numberpad. Works great!

The only macros I have are on the G15, which has F2-F5 followed by "T" to follow various teammates.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
ahk=free, razor gaming mouse=60.