Lt. Commander
For months now, I've noticed that the graphical quality on Tribble is vastly superior to what I get on the holodeck. This started last summer and may have coincided with the driver update for my laptop. The colours are spectacular, the explosions and ships are more detailed, the beams have floating little bits around them, and the skill displays are much better (for example, on holodeck APtSIF gives me a faint golden circle around the ship while on tribble it appears as a brilliant yellow and red cloud).

At first I was excited,because I thought this was an update related improvement. But it never happened, and I kind of forget to ask players about it. I've posted a bug and GM request for help, but they don't seem to have the time.

Clearly my system can handle the superior graphics on tribble. There are no problems like one would expect from running an inferior card, such as lag etc. So I'm assuming it is setting related, but I can't find what I should do.

Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Did you compare your video settings on tribble to the video settings on holodeck? Each installation exists independently with their own settings, but use a common launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devast8tor View Post
Did you compare your video settings on tribble to the video settings on holodeck? Each installation exists independently with their own settings, but use a common launcher.
Thanks man... I had no idea. No wonder my changes made no difference. I'm not sure how tribble and holodeck got to be different, but I'll take what I have now.

I even managed to improve on both because i noticed the resolution was set to half. I have a very slight lag problem now that I've changed it to full, which only occurs during the most crazy of battle displays. I'm wondering if this is effecting just the display, or is it also effecting my battle response? Any suggestions as to what might fix it, without losing half my resolution?
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
The half resolution setting is designed to increase framerate performance. If you're seeing some lag and stuttering at your current resolution without half-res enabled, you can either lower the game resolution or lower some of your quality settings as a trade-off. If you only notice the lag occassionally and primarily play PvE, you may not need to do anything. If you plan to participate in PvP, you'll want to eliminate that lag to ensure you don't miss the torpedo headed for your tailpipe.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Just as a matter of curiosity, how would I go about switching from holodeck to tribble?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Tribble is the test server used for testing new builds before they are released to the live server (Holodeck). You can find connection details in the FAQ posed in the Tribble Test forum section.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
in a nutshell, all you have to do is sign up here: http://www.startrekonline.com/test-shard-signup

then log into your launcher, click the Tribble button above the progress bar, let it patch and start like normal