Lt. Commander
# 521
11-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
At least, that we know of. There hasn't been a reference to a Starfleet Commodore since The Motion Picture. Enterprise, as a prequel, may or may not count.

I'm in favour of the Commodore rank, but to be fair, we haven't seen a Commodore in a long time.
An other thing we haven't seen in a long time is Uhura's ear piece, the TOS uniform, Consitutions class ships, and LaForge's visor to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd84 View Post
The reason I suggest cadet is that we should start out atthe academy on earth where we learn the basic controls and functionality of the game. From there we would then graduate at be posted to our ship under the ensign rank. Cadet would level 0-4 and ensign 5-10 similar to WoW where you would start in Darnassus and learn your basic skills and then travel out from there. First! They will have to make earth visitable and design and create starfleet command and starfleet academy as playable areas.
I fully support a new intro to the game with a Cadet rank and training at Starfleet Academy instead of the one in place now. Then I would like to see a lot more levels at the captain rank and additionally more for each rank above that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Klutz1983
is there any idea about when the level caps will be increased higher than vice admiral.
I rather not have any additional caps until they have changed the system.
Lt. Commander
# 522
11-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I still maintain that the answer is to separate ranks from skill levels. You can still have a minimum skill level requirement for the ranks but make it optional as to whether or not you want to be promoted (rank-wise). As the game moves into the future we're going to need to continue to increase in skill levels, but the number of ranks is already ridiculous and will only increase in absurdity if we continue to tie our levels to them.

They really need to make a separate game for Admirals and Generals anyway. The game we're playing right now from Ensign to Vice Admiral is actually still a "Captain" game, in command of a single vessel and crew, going out and doing things on our own. For example, I definitely do not feel like I'm playing a Vice Admiral, the game I'm playing feels just like I'm playing a level 51 Captain (which btw I do not define as good or bad, just acknowledging that the game at level 51 is no different than the game at level 31). As an aside, why are our Admirals still taking orders from Lieutenants? All our starfleet mission contacts should be Admirals.

An "Admiral" game needs to be more strategic, in command of multiple units and/or resources and have a larger scope than what we do with our single ships. Honestly, an "Admiral" game should play a little more like an RTS, where you command from a starbase or flagship over multiple units against large forces and fronts, controlling territory and resources. Those mission contacts that we have in the "Captain" game (that should be Admirals)? We should be more like them to the (probably NPC) ships in our fleet.

Also, as this type of game may be more for some than others, we should have the option to "step down" from being an Admiral if we find that the "Captain" game is more to our liking.
I agree with you 100%
Lt. Commander
# 523
11-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
...and there should be a Commodore btw there were several in the original series...
I think that has been explained at least once already. Commodore is an outdated obsolete rank. That is why Rear Admiral is split into upper and lower half. At the time when the Series hit TV Commodore was still a valid naval rank, but since the early 80's the rank Commodore is no longer in use.
Lt. Commander
# 524
11-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I think you'll find that Commodore is still used in many parts of the world -

British -

1. Admiral of the Fleet
2. Admiral
3. Vice Admiral
4. Rear Admiral
5. Commodore
6. Captain
7. Commander
8. Lieutenant-Commander
9. Lieutenant
10. Sublieutenant
11. Acting Sublieutenant

Australian Navy
O-11 Admiral of the Fleet
O-10 Admiral
O-9 Vice Admiral
O-8 Rear Admiral
O-7 Commodore
O-6 Captain
O-5 Commander and Navy Chaplain
O-4 Lieutenant Commander
O-3 Lieutenant
O-2 Sub Lieutenant
O-1 Acting Sub Lieutenant
S-1 Midshipman

Belgain Ranks use Commodore - http://www.wielingen1991.org/en/crew_f910/ranks.htm

US is one of the only places in the world to se Rear Admiral Lower and Upper Half.
Lt. Commander
# 525
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
An other thing we haven't seen in a long time is Uhura's ear piece, the TOS uniform, Consitutions class ships, and LaForge's visor to name a few.

I gather this is supposed to be sarcasm? We haven't seen Uhura's earpiece, so it could theoretically still be in use in some way. The TOS uniform has been superceded, evidenced by the fact that characters are wearing a different uniform. If it was still in use, everyone would be wearing them (Uniform means all the same). The Constitution has also been superceded, as evidenced by the existence of other ships, and Geordi's visor has been replaced by implants which we have seen.

You're referring to technology, which has a limited life span. A title does not.

I fully support a new intro to the game with a Cadet rank and training at Starfleet Academy instead of the one in place now. Then I would like to see a lot more levels at the captain rank and additionally more for each rank above that.

I rather not have any additional caps until they have changed the system.
Comments in colour.
Lt. Commander
# 526
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Comments in colour.
Yes, that was meant as sarcasm. As we already have all those things in the game. We both want the Commodore rank in the game too. As it is "only logical" as Spock would have said.
Lt. Commander
# 527
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
Yes, that was meant as sarcasm. As we already have all those things in the game. We both want the Commodore rank in the game too. As it is "only logical" as Spock would have said.
Ah, then we agree. I didn't realize you meant in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 528 RE:
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaw
I think that has been explained at least once already. Commodore is an outdated obsolete rank. That is why Rear Admiral is split into upper and lower half. At the time when the Series hit TV Commodore was still a valid naval rank, but since the early 80's the rank Commodore is no longer in use.
Correct indeed.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Commodore
Lt. Commander
# 529
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizenmyou View Post
And as mentioned repeatedly in the last 50 pages, Memory Alpha is not the definitive source of information, as it is fan created and can be edited at will.

Note that your link leads to the comment that the rank "appears" to have been discontinued. The reason they say this is because there is no evidence that it has been discontinued, beyond the lack of references to it. It may indeed have been discontinued, but with no actual evidence of this, we cannot say for sure. Of course, that has ALSO been said repeatedly in the last 50 pages.
Lt. Commander
# 530
12-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratprinceuk View Post
US is one of the only places in the world to se Rear Admiral Lower and Upper Half.
Well Star Trek is an American invention, and the Federation is based on US military/naval structure, the Starfleet HQ is located in California, San Franciso to be precise, so get over it.

And by the way Belgian naval forces don't use Commodore anymore, as you might have noticed your information is from 1991, they use Flotilla Admiral and Division Admiral instead of Rear Admiral lower and upper half.

Historicly for me Commodore never really was a nice rank to have anyway. Actually it wasn't even a rank it was more of a title first. It became a rank a bit later. It just meant they didn't want to promote you to Admiral, but you still had to do the job. Captains could be promoted straight to Admiral without even seeing the Commodore rank. It was invented to prevent a flood of Admirals.
Closed Thread