Lt. Commander
# 21
11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
But my mission will have Orion Slave Girls all souped-up on Nerve Toxin!
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
No, spoke to him on the TTS channel, he's not interested in reviewing any authored missions or authoring any missions either and every player has this option, they are entitled to choose this option if they wish to.
Wow. Hell my only concern is the spamming, I'm not likely to create any missions but I intend on playing the hell out of other people's missions. Well like you said its his option, not my business.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Honestly, I want Foundry to go Open Beta so I don't have to play my own missions - I'd much rather play everyone elses'.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
I don't think it will be as bad as some think it will be

you publish a mission....it goes into the system....why spam chat to get folks to try it ?
many will...just from the mission menu....lotta bored folks out there.

I would not bother 'promoting' my mission, I would get started on my next one...or do some myself.
Speaking as someone who use the CoX Mission Architect; after the initial "Oh coll I created my first mission' aura wears off, you'll go into the search tool, and see 1000+ missions ALL looking to be played; and you might even have issues finding your own mission that you just did.

Aftyer a few days of seeing eithe zero plays, or 1 to 3, with no real feedback to speak of, you might start tjhinking - "Damn it, I spent a lot of time making this, it's good, but it's buried in that sea of missions and no one can really see what sets it apart. I know, I'll post on the Forums....oh damn, looks like a bunch of authors had the same idea - look at the length of these threads...oh well, at least the list is shoreter..."

Then after a few more days of either not a lot of plays or little to no feedback...

"I'm gonna bit the bullet...I'm going to throw a shout out on the ESD/Klingon Homewaorld, couldn't hurt..."

^^^^
This is where the 'Play my mission please?!" spam will start generating from once te Foundry is available - and those from the clsoed beta will have a head start as their missions will already be up; or they'll be able to do a quick 'cut and paste' to the open beta phase; but all their missions will be up before yours too. Again, not saying this is a good or bad thing overall; but the repository of missions will be HUGE; and people who spent a lot of time will start doing stuff to promote their work as they WANT people to play it, and give feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Just getting prepared for the flood of requests that the Foundry open beta will be bringing us. So there it is, up front, no I will not, so don't ask.
RIght on! While we're at it, let's complain about the playable Romulan faction that isn't out yet either.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
@Armsman; Do you have other players in your friends list or in your fleet (if you are in a fleet) who you consider to be friends?

You can send other players direct links to your authored missions, and I would suggest that asking your friends, before going to either the forum or the zone chat channels is a good idea, unless of course they specifically state that they are not interested before asking them.

@Captain_Revo; I believe a game wide chat channel has already been created by a player, I think they called their channel "LeForge" but I'm not sure, although anyone can create a channel dedicated to authors and / or reviewers, Cryptic gave the players the tools to do this a long time ago, so they wouldn't need to implement a new default channel, but good creative solution from you sir
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
those from the clsoed beta will have a head start as their missions will already be up; or they'll be able to do a quick 'cut and paste' to the open beta phase; but all their missions will be up before yours too.
An excellent point.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Pro-Tip:
When Foundry hits Tribble (whenever that is), create a channel called "UGC" or "Foundry" and join that. Get as many people there.

These tools are fairly straightforward but some cool tricks will require some foreknowledge
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Is this about to become the STO version of Telemarketing?
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Is this about to become the STO version of Telemarketing?
More like the STO version of "fanboy/girl who writes a new chapter each night and wants you to read it during lunch."