Lt. Commander
# 51
11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
Sometimes you get the best results by going back to basics.
That's not how it has worked in 726 episodes or 11 movies; and it's not how it works in our non-fictional world either. Ultimately it just comes down to people trying to justify a vanity item when they know if they ever saw it happen in canon they'd be among the first to call foul. As I said above, no one would accept that a TOS Constitution could defeat a Sovereign, Galaxy, Ambassador, Excelsior, or even a TMP Constitution refit if they saw it happen in canon.
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I'm perfectly fine with the NX and Connie being in the game as Starter ships.
What i am against is all these crazy yahoo's that think they should be capable of going Toe to Toe with T4 or T5 ships.
Yeah, I mean I think introducing these ships a t1 ships was a nice way to appease everyone. Lets just leave it that and move one. Personanly I would like to see some newer designs by Cryptic to fit the bill of the time. Move on with the story. I loved seeing the classic stuff, but I'm getting over it.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I'm perfectly fine with the NX and Connie being in the game as Starter ships.
What i am against is all these crazy yahoo's that think they should be capable of going Toe to Toe with T4 or T5 ships.
I don't think they should be able to. That is correct. What I believe (and this is MY personal opinion) is being asked for is the ability to make those ships PLAYABLE at higher levels instead of being space junk. I think I have stated before that BO's and player ships do nothing to create any type of attachment. Picking a ship and being able to keep it through your career would be very starfleet ish in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsranger View Post
I don't think they should be able to. That is correct. What I believe (and this is MY personal opinion) is being asked for is the ability to make those ships PLAYABLE at higher levels instead of being space junk. I think I have stated before that BO's and player ships do nothing to create any type of attachment. Picking a ship and being able to keep it through your career would be very starfleet ish in my opinion.
Then put Mk XII equipment in them! Seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Being able to keep it doesn't mean it should become more powerful, though. Picard was the captain of the Stargazer for 22 years. He called it an underpowered ship. There's nothing wrong with flying an underpowered ship. My new alt is flying an NX all the way to Admiral. I'm currently Lt. Cmdr 5. Choosing to fly a ship throughout your career doesn't mean you should also get to be as good as players who want to keep upgrading to new ships with more advanced tech and abilities. Because that's what you're really wanting: your ship to be just as good as every other ship even though it is outdated.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Then put Mk XII equipment in them! Seriously.
I was referring to the BO stations. There is no reason not to give more abilities. I personally dont care about hull, considering if my shields are down I get vaporized in anything but a cruiser anyway...
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Being able to keep it doesn't mean it should become more powerful, though. Picard was the captain of the Stargazer for 22 years. He called it an underpowered ship. There's nothing wrong with flying an underpowered ship. My new alt is flying an NX all the way to Admiral. I'm currently Lt. Cmdr 5. Choosing to fly a ship throughout your career doesn't mean you should also get to be as good as players who want to keep upgrading to new ships with more advanced tech and abilities. Because that's what you're really wanting: your ship to be just as good as every other ship even though it is outdated.
You missed the part where I agreed that they should not be as powerful. Gimp the heck out of it but make it a little viable. Barely able to handle normal mode would be more than ok.
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
You missed the part where I agreed that they should not be as powerful. Gimp the heck out of it but make it a little viable. Barely able to handle normal mode would be more than ok.
I guess you haven't seen any of the videos of people flying their TOS Constitutions at VA level, and winning at Normal and Advanced levels. You get plenty of rank abilities in the game to win, even without the extra BO abilities. As I said above, I'm currently flying an NX at Lt. Cmdr and plan on taking it all the way to Admiral. I play on Advanced and haven't died once yet in some 20 /played hours. My skill level might mean I have to go back to normal at Captain or higher but I plan on the ship still working fine.
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Personanly I would like to see some newer designs by Cryptic to fit the bill of the time. Move on with the story. I loved seeing the classic stuff, but I'm getting over it.
I agree with you. Let's look at the short list of upcoming ships:

Oberth T1 (science starter)
Ambassador T4 variant
Vesta, probably T3/T5
Vulcan D'Kyr, NX era
Andorian, don't know time period but probably NX era design

The Vesta is the only modern design forthcoming, and in canon it would be nearly 30 years old by the STO timeline.

The game really needs to get back to its roots and focus more on the 25th century it's supposed to be about, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Well i just did the Deferi daily missions at VA1.... with my connie, and i even kept the blue phasers on!!! :p