Lt. Commander
# 231
11-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannamoth
Say if your content gets played 100,000 or 500,000 times you should get a VERY RARE, VERY RARE TITLE.

Something like "Oracle of the Federation" or Seer of the Empire". Have to wait and see, thresholds may be smaller or larger.

I imagine there will many terrible attempts at writing but out of a few hundred or thousand we may get a pearl!
How many people do you think play this game? make it 500.
Lt. Commander
# 232
11-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Wow...the whining, complaining, and trolling on this forum well never stop amazing me. The Community asked for a UGC tool so we could share our stories with the community. It is not here for us to get paid for making the content. If you don't like making content and not getting paid for it, then there is a really simple solution. DON'T MAKE IT. No one is pulling your arm or demanding that you author missions and content. You do so of your own free will and by using the tools given by cryptic, you are therefore agreeing to provide this content free of charge. Simple as that. Deal with it! Move on!
Lt. Commander
# 233
11-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Get paid for making content. You guys should listen to yourselves...
Lt. Commander
# 234
11-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris_Carter View Post
Get paid for making content. You guys should listen to yourselves...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
Wow...the whining, complaining, and trolling on this forum well never stop amazing me. The Community asked for a UGC tool so we could share our stories with the community. It is not here for us to get paid for making the content. If you don't like making content and not getting paid for it, then there is a really simple solution. DON'T MAKE IT. No one is pulling your arm or demanding that you author missions and content. You do so of your own free will and by using the tools given by cryptic, you are therefore agreeing to provide this content free of charge. Simple as that. Deal with it! Move on!
multiple props to the two of you, im glad someone has as much common sense as me on this particular subject. these were two of the points i was trying to make in my previous post.
Lt. Commander
# 235
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyn
mmk, so i was reading one of the MMO news sites covering UGC in STO and there was concern over whether it was FAIR for devs to implement a feature that was essentially charging people a monthly sub to develop content for them.

yeeeea, i don't think that's happening, the devs won't head to the beach once UGC comes out...
(they can't... dev skin vaporizes on contact with sunlight)
some guy in Texas with a $139 tricorder replica won't be crafting our weekly episodes on a Mountain Dew fueled fanfic spree
(he'll be in the Cryptic office)
BUT i think there will always be the possibility that someone will create something so kick-ass that the devs will integrate it into the game
(like a sticky... in the forum of our hearts...)
Sooo if this situation comes to pass would the creators get a lil sum'n sum'n? like C-Moneys?

I used to run a Star Trek roleplay group on SL, with our own region, and builds. I've already seen some content alluded to here(it's no surprise that at least one person at Cryptic was aware of our presence). There is nothing legally wrong with Cryptic doing this, as we do not own the Star Trek IP. We are allowed to create stories and such within their IP because we don't get a profit, and it is protected speech. But, simply because they are based off of the Star Trek IP, we do not have ownership.

I cannot write a book based in the Star Trek universe and sell it without the IP holder's consent. I cannot sue when they use a similar story(though, I have seen situations where you could claim writer's royalties when it comes to on screen episodes).