Lt. Commander
I have been slowly playing since the game launched and in the last few months attained the rank of Rear Admiral, Lower Half. I have discovered the rank breaks immersion and is quite cumbersome; it makes dialogues unnecessarily winded and detracts from the experience as a whole. I decided to do some research to see if there were real life parallels and discovered most real English speaking navies use the title of Commodore. It seems that in 1983 the US Navy changed the rank of Commodore to RA, LH, in order to settle a pay dispute with the other Armed Services.

Considering most real life navies use titles such as commodore, that Star Trek is supposed to be a an idyllic portrayal of all the worlds’ nations working together, and the rank unnecessarily complicated: I propose the rank of Rear Admiral, Lower Half, be changed to Commodore, with appropriate changes to Rear Admiral, Upper Half.

~ WilliamKinglsey

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodo...ited_States%29
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh man - I'm sorry, but be prepared for some flaming. This topic has been discussed over-and-over-and-over in many threads.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Commodore

Quote:
The rank of commodore was used by Starfleet until at least the 2270s. In 2366, Geordi La Forge insulted Centurion Bochra by calling him commodore, to which Bochra promptly corrected La Forge as to his proper title.
/leaves room quickly
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-28-2010, 09:05 PM
And your point is? It's still a valid point and if he wants to post about it let him. It's better then necro'ing the older threads and cryptic actually takes these criticisms to heart. If you want things changed then you have to fuel the discussion to convince them that there is enough support for the change. It's not like it would take them a whole lot of effort to fix it either.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Commodore sounds better than Rear Admiral, Lower Half. I support changing it to Commodore in game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I say that when a character gets to that rank, both titles of Commador and Rear Admiral Lower Half become accessable. When getting to the next rank, the character gets access to the tiles Rear Admiral Upper Half, Fleet Captain, and Rear Admiral(no appendage).
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
I say that when a character gets to that rank, both titles of Commador and Rear Admiral Lower Half become accessable. When getting to the next rank, the character gets access to the tiles Rear Admiral Upper Half, Fleet Captain, and Rear Admiral(no appendage).
That would be fine.

~ WK
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Sisko
Commodore sounds better than Rear Admiral, Lower Half. I support changing it to Commodore in game.
Agreed, as I have before.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Oh man - I'm sorry, but be prepared for some flaming. This topic has been discussed over-and-over-and-over in many threads.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Commodore

/leaves room quickly
Community edited wiki with no, repeat no, canon examples to back it up on that particular point.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
That would be nice, but I think Fleet Captain is a lower rank than Commador not a higher rank.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
That would be nice, but I think Fleet Captain is a lower rank than Commador not a higher rank.
Chirstopher Pike was Fleet Captian in "The Menagerie". It is a command officer rank. During the battle of Fort Donelson, a flotila under command of Flag Officer Andrew Foote attempted to assault the fort, but was mauled by the fort's artillery. It is notable in that there was no Admiral Rank in the US Navy at this time. One can argue that Flag Officer Foote could have been either a Commador or a Fleet Captain.