Lt. Commander
I hate all these marks , i do mostly pvp , i have nearly 2000 marks of excellance but the gear is complete trash. Where do we even get marks of honour from..... why so many , can we not have a system that we use that we can spend on anything from any marks etc , did i say i hate it coz i do lol its a complete mess.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I actually agree with you for a change! There really are too many different currencies in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-30-2010, 04:00 AM
They are trying to streamline this by having the vendor in Group Omega exchange one for another, but I have to agree. I would prefer a single currency system for equipment like that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Currency One: Energy Credits (EC)
Currency Two: Gold Pressed Latinum (GPL)

That's all we need.

If they would tie Marks to Rank like they do for buying starships, we could buy everything with EC from faction vendors and use GPL for everything else.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Currency One: Energy Credits (EC)
Currency Two: Gold Pressed Latinum (GPL)

That's all we need.

If they would tie Marks to Rank like they do for buying starships, we could buy everything with EC from faction vendors and use GPL for everything else.
This. I agree all we need is EC and GPL
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
This. I agree all we need is EC and GPL
The trouble with that is rampant inflation - due to the slow release of end-game content, cash has been stockpiled to such a degree that for something to be expensive it would need to cost millions/tens of millions of EC.

That means that any new purchase item would immediately be purchased, removing any need to work towards the rewards.

So cryptic added 'marks'... when those started getting stockpiled they added 'emblems', eventually those will get stockpiled and we'll probably get yet another currency.

This is fundamentally broken.

---

IMHO, the game needs:
- EC.
- marks.

EC is for the exchange, and is subject to rampant inflation. One option is to allow the purchase of marks with EC at a variable exchange rate (the more you spend, the more expensive marks become).

Marks is for rewards, and is un-inflatable:
- you get 1 mark for a mission in tier1, 10 marks in tier 2, 100 marks in tier 3 etc.
- you are limited to stockpiling 100 marks in tier 1, 1000 in tier2, 10000 in tier 3 etc (equivalent of having run 10 missions in a new tier if you save up).
- any marks that you gain beyond the limit go into a pot, when the pot reaches 10% of your cap then you receive a random blue/purple item, and the pot is reset.

People have something to work towards, and you can add another tier without coming up with "yet another sodding currency".
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't mind having a few different currencies, but al the 1st to 5th level badges are stupid and annoying.

If they want to avoid the "hoarding" mentality, they just need to institute a cap on the top amount of badges/marks/emblems we can get.

I am actually favorable on a distinction between PvP and PvE marks. Maybe even one between PvP, PvE (Exploration, Missions, Sector Defense) and PvE (Fleet Actions and Raids).

The types of rewards could be:
- PvE
- PvP

The "tiers" of rewards would be:
- Badge (Even Mark Uncommon Gear)
- Mark (Even Mark Rare Gear)
- Emblem (Very Rare endgame Gear, Convertible into Marks of any type, probably shouldn't be typed)

PvE and PvP vendors might offer different types of gear, bindable on equip. This promotes people actually using all aspects of the game (From fleet actions over story missions to player vs player), and for those that don't, it promotes trade (Exchange and Direct). It could also include some consumables (new and old ones) for Badges or Emblems.

Badges should be easily awarded by repeatable missions with little or no timers.
Marks might be linked to missions on a daily timer for larger numbers of Marks, and missions with a hourly timer or so with small amounts of marks.
Emblems would be purely daily rewards.

Higher tier gear costs more, and higher tier missions award more. Just settle for a "reasonable" factor (say, a factor of 5) and maybe disallow buying gear not from your tier (to avoid people at higher levels buying large stocks of lower tier gear and flooding the Exchange.) Restricting the stuff you can actually buy to that of your level also solves some UI problems with too many items in view.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I don't mind having a few different currencies, but al the 1st to 5th level badges are stupid and annoying.

If they want to avoid the "hoarding" mentality, they just need to institute a cap on the top amount of badges/marks/emblems we can get.
If you simply cap it, people will lose an incentive to continue playing the game (that's bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
PvE and PvP vendors might offer different types of gear, bindable on equip. This promotes people actually using all aspects of the game (From fleet actions over story missions to player vs player), and for those that don't, it promotes trade (Exchange and Direct).
You can't make the rewards bind-on-equip...
- today players obtain these items.
- tomorrow some players reach their cap, and lacking anything else to do sell any excess on the exchange.
- new players start buying the stuff on the exchange, and then (more rapidly than their predecessors) find themselves in the same situation.
- the exchange is flooded with high level equipment, and the price drops down to whatever a merchant will pay for it.

(I think there are other issues with this, but I'm not an economist)

-> end game rewards must be bind-on-pickup.

It's a minor side-point, but multiple currencies don't encourage exploration. A player who has only ever PvE'ed gets worthless coins from a PvP match - it would be a better incentive if they got coins they could actually use.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2010, 08:08 AM
I've said before, there should only be one flavor of PvP Mark/Badge/Emblem, and one PvE flavor. You should earn the same Marks at Lt as at VA; if you choose to save them until you reach a higher rank that's up to you.

I have characters with hundreds of lower tier badges, all wasted.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
If you simply cap it, people will lose an incentive to continue playing the game (that's bad).
That's why you also put in some consumables. Stuff that you need to rebuy. If you make the stuff you gathered useless with the next level cap expansion, you effectively have the same problem.

All those 1st Grade Badge of Explorations are useless for a Captain.

Quote:
You can't make the rewards bind-on-equip...
- today players obtain these items.
- tomorrow some players reach their cap, and lacking anything else to do sell any excess on the exchange.
- new players start buying the stuff on the exchange, and then (more rapidly than their predecessors) find themselves in the same situation.
- the exchange is flooded with high level equipment, and the price drops down to whatever a merchant will pay for it.
You are right about the end-game issue. (it isn't a problem previously, since you can't really "haord" Badges, marks or Emblems when you're getting XP while gaining them). Maybe end-game gear could be ... what ever the other type of bind is. And of course, if the gear you can buy is not very rare gear, it is still only something as a "temporary" solution - people will still hunt for very rare items.

Quote:
It's a minor side-point, but multiple currencies don't encourage exploration. A player who has only ever PvE'ed gets worthless coins from a PvP match - it would be a better incentive if they got coins they could actually use.
If the coins he gets allows him to buy something the other type doesn't give him (and he might still want), then they aren't worthless to him. Especially once consumables are part of the mix.

Consumables are "dangerous" in that they can be too important or powerful, but they have on advantage - they are used up, you can't really "flood the market" with them.