Lt. Commander
# 41
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
I see the discussion going down a dirty road so I'm going to opt out.
Start off with a poorly reasoned and poorly disguised I'm-right-everyone-is-wrong-why-won't-they-listen-to-me?-doom-thread, get called on it, and then cut bait on your own rant thread?

Impressive.

Stay classy, bro. Stay classy.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
I agree. I think after about a 1-year and a half lifetime subscribers are almost like freeloaders.
Well really you should be talking 2 years. That's roughly the length of service we've paid for up front. I find it rather remarkable that you'd insult yourself and every other lifetime subscriber in such a way.
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Well really you should be talking 2 years. That's roughly the length of service we've paid for up front. I find it rather remarkable that you'd insult yourself and every other lifetime subscriber in such a way.
The people who paid up front early only paid $240.00, thus the 18 month mark he's talking about.

Beyond that, to some extent, I agree with him. Once I cross the 18 month threshold I'm effectively dead weight to Cryptic. At that point I'm only good as a C-Store option; and if I don't use the C-Store I'm really just someone playing for free. Now I'd like to think I contribute a good idea on the forum every so often and spend enough time answer questions to newbs on the forum and in-game to justify being around at that point, but I'm no longer Cryptic's bread and butter player.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The people who paid up front early only paid $240.00, thus the 18 month mark he's talking about.

Beyond that, to some extent, I agree with him. Once I cross the 18 month threshold I'm effectively dead weight to Cryptic. At that point I'm only good as a C-Store option; and if I don't use the C-Store I'm really just someone playing for free. Now I'd like to think I contribute a good idea on the forum every so often, spend enough time answer questions to newbs on the forum and in-game to justify being around at that point, but I'm no longer Cryptic's bread and butter player.
There must be some discontinuity in cross-Atlantic pricing because I paid 40 GBP for the collector's edition of the game and then another 238 GBP for the lifetime sub, plus VAT (sales tax) at 17.5% at the time. So over this side of the pond, a life sub is equal to 2 years of game time, if not slightly more, but say two years for the sake of easy workings.

And of course, I'm not saying the guy's wrong, just that he maybe could have put it better. It really is down to us to make ourselves worthwhile after the lifesub payment balances out, maybe in reviewing UGC content, as you say helping on the forums, and of course, that far down the line there maybe more stuff in the C-Store that I'd be willing to pay for as well.
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Steve View Post
Just out of curosity, did you come from Victor1st's site?
I had never heard of this person until I read it in this thread. I just had to go look him up.

What a fascinating little creature. I have to wonder why he hates Star Trek. Not any reason he gives (which will obviously be misdirection), but the real reason. Fascinating...

Well, anyways, at least he has done the service of making himself obvious. That, by its own nature, severely limits his capabilities. After all, someone being noisy can not sneak up on you.
Lt. Commander
# 46
11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
There must be some discontinuity in cross-Atlantic pricing because I paid 40 GBP for the collector's edition of the game and then another 238 GBP for the lifetime sub, plus VAT (sales tax) at 17.5% at the time. So over this side of the pond, a life sub is equal to 2 years of game time, if not slightly more, but say two years for the sake of easy workings.
238 GBP is about $360.00 (more if you include 17% VAT). I paid $240.00 for my LTS during the pre-order special. The current price is $300.00. For me, between the LTS and price of the game I'm looking at about 18 months to break even. Most of the other pre-order LTS people are the same, depending on how many copies of the game they pre-ordered.
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
238 GBP is about $360.00 (more if you include 17% VAT). I paid $240.00 for my LTS during the pre-order special. The current price is $300.00. For me, between the LTS and price of the game I'm looking at about 18 months to break even. Most of the other pre-order LTS people are the same, depending on how many copies of the game they pre-ordered.
Aaaah right. I didn't pre-order.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM
As a lifer I am shocked when people think that a LTS gives them any preference or makes them deserving of special treatment. You made the purchase to save money just like I did. They don't owe you anything except lifetime access to the game.

It's a simple exchange.
They offer the lifetime sub.
I give them money for the lifetime sub.
Then they gave me the lifetime sub.
Transaction complete.

If you are really as selfless as you claim and wanted to support the game you wouldn't have bought the LTS, you would pay monthly.