Lt. Commander
this TRUE STORY is HILLARIOUS!

ok... so like many, i go questing and pick up a bunch of gear, fill up half my inventory, and then do some fleet actions to grab first place, a blue mk 11 item, some emblems, and fill up the rest of my inventory.

then, like i have many times before, when my inventory is full i go back to Qo'nos/ESD and dump my inventory on the floor, post the rares and a couple uncommons/commons on the exchange, and throw the rest at the vendors!

SO...

i have noticed some mk 11 commons sell REALLY well on the exchange, like phaser beam arrays and turrets.
so i have made a habbit of checking these items before i toss them at the vendor or the bit bucket.

this last time i had a mk XI Plasma turret uncommon with [crtH] and a common mk XI plasma turret.

so i check the exchange and the uncommon mk XI plasma turrets are selling for 38,000.
hardly worth it...
i was about to toss the common in the trash, when for some reason, i decided to check the price on it anyway!

i found that the mk XI COMMON plasma turret was selling for 188,000 <---
i rubbed my eyes, and double checked BOTH items.
YUP... the uncommon mk XI plasma turret is selling for 38,000
and the common mk XI plasma turret was selling for 188,000
i double checked the damage on each and they were both the same...

so i said... "what the heck... i'll post them both for 1,000 EC less then the lowest price and see what happens"

------------------------------------------------------
ONE DAY LATER
------------------------------------------------------

i get a game mail that says:

item sold on the exchange:
you sold Mk XI common plasma turret for 187,000 credits to [name ommitted]

- LOLz -
i almost fell out off my couch laughing (true story)

then i went to check on the mk XI plasma turret [crtH] i had posted....
IT WAS STILL ON THE EXCHANGE!
no one bought it because a few more players posted uncommon mk 11 plasma turrets for even LESS then 37,000 credits!!!

EPIC!

so now my brain hurts!
i think the exchange is just fine as it is...
but i hope you all got a chuckle form this TRUE STORY

BUYER BEWARE...
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Curious. Either there is something messed up with search, or people just don't bother looking at higher quality level gear, on the assumption it must be more expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-30-2010, 07:03 AM
I nearly wet my pants when I had put up items on the exchange and then a person on my friendlist bought it...

Creeeeeeeepy.
I even sent him a complimentary mail. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2010, 07:30 AM
I've noticed this trend as well, its a shame people dont do some digging for the right deals. In a STO economy you have to look high and low for just the right price.

Funny tho, very funny
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Maybe this happens because commons don't bind on equip? This means you can resell them after you have found something better. Uncommon, Rares and Very Rares will bind to you, so they become almost worthless once you don't need them anymore.

Maybe some people are hoarding commons for crafting, expecting that they need Mark XI gear soon to craft new stuff? Well, they'll be disappointed, the latest update on Memory Alpha Crafting indicates that the base item concept is gone.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
More likely that even at 189k the price just doesn't matter...people have millions and millions of EC.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I nearly wet my pants when I had put up items on the exchange and then a person on my friendlist bought it...

Creeeeeeeepy.
I even sent him a complimentary mail. :p
yeah i know it's really wierd.
i sell a lot so... this actually happens more then you would think

it's funny when a rival buys stuff from you, especially crap that you consider to be absolute JUNK.
it often explains why they are so easy to kill...
or sometimes... it amazes me how well they fight even though they are using such garbage gear!
in some cases it generates a LOT of respect!

other times i see buddies buying things form me, and i have to send them a giant --> OMG LOL <-- game mail poking fun at them!!

one time with a friend named Kimzi... i offered to give the money back because they paid so much for such a CRAPPY weapon.
he insisted on not giving the money back...
but i STILL brutally poked fun... to the entire RP community in our RP chat channel... it was AWESOME!

but yes.... VERY creepy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Maybe this happens because commons don't bind on equip?
interesting... i have been playing this game for 300+ days and i never really figured this out... or paid attention enough to care!

this actually might be a good explanation!
i never really thought something like a garbage common weapon drop would have a good resale value... kind of like a 1986 Honda (HOW DARE YOU??!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
,.... or people just don't bother looking at higher quality level gear, on the assumption it must be more expensive.
DING DING DING

i think we have a winner!

never underestimate noobs!
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Curious. Either there is something messed up with search, or people just don't bother looking at higher quality level gear, on the assumption it must be more expensive.
That is my thought, or that they don't even bother setting the search parameters to uncommon, rare, etc. and just leave it on "all."