Lt. Commander
# 21
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
The team is working as fast as they can to get The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online into an open beta state. I know it's disappointing to keep being asked to be patient for your chance to take a crack at making your own Star Trek Online Episode, but please understand there's a lot going on here.

This feature includes some awesome new tech, and it needs to be tested thoroughly to make sure it provides a good user experience for you. We've ran across some wrinkles on the back end which need ironing before we can show you the awesomeness that is The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online. We want you all to have a great experience when making your episodes, and we believe it's worth the wait to be able to provide that.

I'm fairly certain once this goes to Tribble, you'll agree.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Posts like this confuse me because it sounds like your talking about it going LIVE(on holodeck) not on the TEST SERVER(Tribble). I mean, if the system is crashing the server I understand why its not on Tribble. But if its not, then why isnt it on the TEST server? Once again, you sound like you want it to work perfectly before you put it on Tribble, but that doesnt really make sense considering Tribble is the test server, not live.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
The team is working as fast as they can to get The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online into an open beta state. I know it's disappointing to keep being asked to be patient for your chance to take a crack at making your own Star Trek Online Episode, but please understand there's a lot going on here.

This feature includes some awesome new tech, and it needs to be tested thoroughly to make sure it provides a good user experience for you. We've ran across some wrinkles on the back end which need ironing before we can show you the awesomeness that is The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online. We want you all to have a great experience when making your episodes, and we believe it's worth the wait to be able to provide that.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Thanks for the update .

Also I know The Foundry (Beta) is just a myth, you all just wanna see how long we're willing to wait for something before giving up. . Now hand me my Ambassador Class and step away from the docking port!

Oh and the post above mine makes a good point.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Heh, I'm guessing you guys wish you had never mentioned it was going to Tribble before you did a dry run to make sure it wouldn't be totally broken, eh?

I agree with Nagus, and I think that there was probably not enough people in the Closed Beta. I just hope that it gets resolved soon, but I'd rather wait for it to be usable than having it now.

(Although, I'm really hoping that it won't be too much longer before it is in a working state.)
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
Posts like this confuse me because it sounds like your talking about it going LIVE(on holodeck) not on the TEST SERVER(Tribble). I mean, if the system is crashing the server I understand why its not on Tribble. But if its not, then why isnt it on the TEST server? Once again, you sound like you want it to work perfectly before you put it on Tribble, but that doesnt really make sense considering Tribble is the test server, not live.
It's rather simple really:
Don't make new bugs yet.
Currently with their limited test group they have a lot of bugs or at least more bugs than they want. When you add in an extra 2,000 people (or more) that'll create even MORE bug reports. To keep the Devs from going nuts it's better to fix all the bugs you know about as best as you can BEFORE you add in a larger player base. That way you know that most new bugs are the result of a larger player base and not the result of something else.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
Heh, I'm guessing you guys wish you had never mentioned it was going to Tribble before you did a dry run to make sure it wouldn't be totally broken, eh?

I agree with Nagus, and I think that there was probably not enough people in the Closed Beta. I just hope that it gets resolved soon, but I'd rather wait for it to be usable than having it now.

(Although, I'm really hoping that it won't be too much longer before it is in a working state.)
they said its a back end issue and i dont believe it has anything to do with foundry itself but just with hooking it up to tribble. i doubt a billion beta testers would have made this situation any different.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
It's rather simple really:
Don't make new bugs yet.
Currently with their limited test group they have a lot of bugs or at least more bugs than they want. When you add in an extra 2,000 people (or more) that'll create even MORE bug reports. To keep the Devs from going nuts it's better to fix all the bugs you know about as best as you can BEFORE you add in a larger player base. That way you know that most new bugs are the result of a larger player base and not the result of something else.
That may be what he meant, but thats not what he said. It sounds like their trying to make it "perfect" before they put it on Tribble, but thats not what Tribble is for. Thats what HOLODECK is for(or at least, as close to "perfect" as a system can be in an MMO).
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
That may be what he meant, but thats not what he said. It sounds like their trying to make it "perfect" before they put it on Tribble, but thats not what Tribble is for. Thats what HOLODECK is for(or at least, as close to "perfect" as a system can be in an MMO).
no they are not trying to make the foundry perfect they are trying to make the stability perfect or as near as they can. its a totally different thing.

they are having trouble hooking it up, not having trouble making the foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Understandable that this would take quite some time. Preferrably, I would say keep the Foundry AWAY from the test/live servers until it's been perfected as much as possible on your end.

On a related note: Is the intent of the Foundry, to relieve some of the burdon of "content creation" from your own developers, and move said burdon over to your subscribers instead?
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
On a related note: Is the intent of the Foundry, to relieve some of the burdon of "content creation" from your own developers, and move said burdon over to your subscribers instead?
Officially, no. Unofficially, its debatable, and there is no way to prove anything regardless of what anyone will say.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
they said its a back end issue and i dont believe it has anything to do with foundry itself but just with hooking it up to tribble. i doubt a billion beta testers would have made this situation any different.
You're probably right about the number of testers. However, I think they really should have tried to see if the code was stable enough to handle being on Tribble before they said anything about it going into Open Beta. (The fact that they found it to be unstable when hooking it up to Tribble shows that they could have (and probably should have) done it before saying it was going into OB last week.) It probably would have saved a bunch or rabble rabble rabble...

(Then again, we're not privy to the number of users or manner in which it's interacting with Tribble that's causing it to crash, so it might have be spotted earlier if they had had more people in the CB. I'm still happy to wait until it doesn't crash my client to get my hands on it, though.)