Lt. Commander
# 11
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
What would be really awesome is if they completely re-did the forums into a complete LCARS thing. I know, I know, they would probably have to make a completely new, proprietary forum boards for it and it would never happen. But one can dream right?
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnighthawk View Post
What would be really awesome is if they completely re-did the forums into a complete LCARS thing. I know, I know, they would probably have to make a completely new, proprietary forum boards for it and it would never happen. But one can dream right?
LCARS is a terrible UI in terms of everyday usability.

It looks cool but it's so full of mystery meat and 80s Chic design decisions.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the forum. Any more Trek-y-ness and it would just be cliche and ugly.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimevalAtom View Post
Yup and that is why I feel our Forum looks more like a free web browser game forum than what STO should look like.

The Web page itself is not bad but it should be updated on a weekly basis ( I mean I have been here a month and the Rapier is still the feature ship).

But the forum is a complete disgrace

I play Star Craft II and just by looking at their forum and how they link their game and the accomplishment you earn in the game with the forum, for you to share with people, tells you why they (Blizzard) are number one and we are number .... (not sure but xfire I think put us in the 90's).

I believe STO is working hard to climb up the ladder of MMO games and perhaps one day be a contestant to WoW. But the improvement package has to be complete and no online game experience can be complete without a fantastic forum for people to communicate with one another and shared their game accomplishment.

Just look at how SC2 forum lets you see your character victories and accolades. STO could do that and more... We could see each other ships and BoFF and their stats, we could even see our trophies or special items that we value as family keepsakes

Anyways... I could go on and on but the bottom line is our forum is cheap very veRY VERY cheap looking, an embarrassment really for a game that has a monthly fee.

Just my opinion.

Again, there are bandwidth capped countries, and we have players from those countries in STO. Blizzard doesn't give a crap about their customers, they just want to look cool. Cryptic actually cares.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Th current one works on my iPad....don't mess with it! :p

Seriously, every time a website "updates" it functions less with my iPad. WTH? This is becoming a "Magical" pain in the a$$.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I personally prefer the forums pretty much just as they are. IMO, additional 'glitz' would just serve to make it harder to read the text, all for a little eye-candy that would be taken for granted after the first visit or three anyway. The primary function of a forum is to provide easily accessible text communication, and this one does that reasonably well. If you want eye-candy, go out to the main website (which I liked much better before it's recent incarnation, before everything got tucked into drop-down menus to allow more real-estate for graphics, etc.) Or go play the game, already! IMO, YMMV, etc and so forth.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
A bunch of nerds that complain for the sake of complaining? This shhip should do this, this window doesn't belong there, I like pie?

Sounds Trek to me

In all seriousness, forums are basically the same no matter what you look at, a banner at the top, text in the middle, and lots of "Ima Mod" at the bottom.

vBulletin costs money, but it's still as generic as any other forum (SMF, phbb, Lithium, SOE's internal forum software, that train wreck WoW has).

Personally, I think LCARS would hurt my eyes after a while (I prefer a dark screen).
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralChase
Again, there are bandwidth capped countries, and we have players from those countries in STO. Blizzard doesn't give a crap about their customers, they just want to look cool. Cryptic actually cares.
Maybe that is what Cryptic needs to do. Care less for what players want. Maybe then they can have a number one game like Blizzards LMAO.

The forum is just secondary stuff. The game itself has to be improve first.

But take a look at what Blizzard did with the game integration into the forum. You can display so mush more of your accomplishments.

Anyways, it was just an idea
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-02-2010, 06:44 AM
And it only took Blizzard how many years?

The forum is fine; the last thing anybody needs to waste time on is pretty-ing it up.