Lt. Commander
# 111
12-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
Also remember, English is not everyone on the games primary language. It boils down to separating being "rude" from "constructive criticism". People may ask for feedback, but blunt honesty would realistically de-motivate a lot of aspiring Foundry authors- Just because someone says "be honest with me" does not mean as a human being they will react well to a flood of bashing. Stephen King had a wall full of tacked up rejection papers from publishers to remind him how many rejections he went through and did not give up, before hitting it.

BUT this community will 99% likely be not made up of "professional" aspiring writers- just creative gamers who want to express their idea and try and help make. fun missions. If you were a boxer, you learn to take a punch.
If someone asks you to come help in a fight, and your not a trained or tough person, your "enthusiasm" would quickly fade with a well placed punch.

Think about it.
Using the Stephen King analogy might not be the best. The rejection notes he received can be assumed that he got the hate mail and so the analogy is sort of defeating the purpose of your words before it. Point is, as we are taught in school...at least i hope you all were, I was, that if you want say, then say it in a way the person can achieve success from, not something that will shoot down the esteem of that person.
Lt. Commander
# 112
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
Also remember, English is not everyone on the games primary language. It boils down to separating being "rude" from "constructive criticism". People may ask for feedback, but blunt honesty would realistically de-motivate a lot of aspiring Foundry authors- Just because someone says "be honest with me" does not mean as a human being they will react well to a flood of bashing. Stephen King had a wall full of tacked up rejection papers from publishers to remind him how many rejections he went through and did not give up, before hitting it.

BUT this community will 99% likely be not made up of "professional" aspiring writers- just creative gamers who want to express their idea and try and help make. fun missions. If you were a boxer, you learn to take a punch.
If someone asks you to come help in a fight, and your not a trained or tough person, your "enthusiasm" would quickly fade with a well placed punch.

Think about it.
It's a shame the internet hasn't prepared most people for meaningful, honest criticism. Even a good criticism to improve a mission will be blown out of context without emotional cues.

I suspect I will use a lot of these to help get my opinion heard without offending people:
:p
Lt. Commander
# 113
12-02-2010, 02:02 AM
IM GOING TO PUT MY TWO CENTS IN, the games i will most probalbly enjoy will be the ones that the Authers put there hearts into, i have been watching many ideas that i have a pretty thick notebook of my personal ideas << a lot of MAR's based ones BTW >> that im almost willing to take a sick day from work to start scripting and map modeling.

Remember a Hack that has heart will come up with more memorable stories than the professional with disintrest imho
Lt. Commander
# 114
12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Remember a Hack that has heart will come up with more memorable stories than the professional with disintrest imho
Completely and utterly agree! Which is often why "idea guys" who work with a "writer" make incredible teams!