Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.LoveMonkey
I'd just like to point out that in theory Wikipedia should be the biggest mess of lies and misinformation in the world but it's actually quite accurate.
Wow. Just wow.

May I forward your post to a person I know who was falsely labeled a sex offender on Wikipedia? Never confuse wiki and reality. The only reason its accurate about technical matters is that 99% of its users couldn't possibly spell the entry titles correctly in order to find and mutilate them. Otherwise I'm sure the entry for 'Hertz' would read: 'That's what she said.'
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
Wow. Just wow.

May I forward your post to a person I know who was falsely labeled a sex offender on Wikipedia? Never confuse wiki and reality. The only reason its accurate about technical matters is that 99% of its users couldn't possibly spell the entry titles correctly in order to find and mutilate them. Otherwise I'm sure the entry for 'Hertz' would read: 'That's what she said.'
I'm sure that's true for a few titles like Quantum Physics or something like that, but titles like...America...are still surprisingly accurate.

Of course you can point to a lot of cases where it's wrong or incomplete, and it's never on the level that you could reference it in a paper, but aren't you the least bit surprised that it isn't full of things like;

11:00....
America!!1!!11!!11!!!!!!:
BEST ****ING NATION IN THE UNIVERSE! WE *#*$ PEOPLE UP THE *#@! LIKE NAZIS AND COMMIES!

11:40
America:
yeah, because you're all GAY! OH yeah BURN!

12:00
America:
A place where people can't stop editing their own damn country's entry because they're all to self centered...

12:10
America:
Ruled by James Preston Smith...the man with the largest ***** in the world because he's so awesome and owns everything and is super handsome and awesome.

Beacause that's what I'd expect, not this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

Which is very thorough and informative and has some pretty helpful links and historically accurate facts. And I'm pretty sure most people can spell it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Of course you can point to a lot of cases where it's wrong or incomplete, and it's never on the level that you could reference it in a paper, but aren't you the least bit surprised that it isn't full of things like;
It was pretty much like what you cite in the early phases of its life cycle, believe it or not. After Stephen Colbert made a public mockery of it a few years back on national television, though, they instituted rather draconian editorial review policies to stop that from happening. But even as recently as a year ago I could edit

So, in terms of its relevance to the Foundry, wiki isn't as it is now because people online are inherently rational and decent. Quite the opposite. Its the way it is now because its strictly controlled. How strictly Cryptic enforces the rules surrounding it will be the absolute gauge of its quality in terms of feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
It was pretty much like what you cite in the early phases of its life cycle, believe it or not. After Stephen Colbert made a public mockery of it a few years back on national television, though, they instituted rather draconian editorial review policies to stop that from happening. But even as recently as a year ago I could edit

So, in terms of its relevance to the Foundry, wiki isn't as it is now because people online are inherently rational and decent. Quite the opposite. Its the way it is now because its strictly controlled. How strictly Cryptic enforces the rules surrounding it will be the absolute gauge of its quality in terms of feedback.
The last I heard the ability to rate missions was only going to be given to people who passed the approval process. If this isn't the case anymore we could have a problem but I don't see a lot of griefers wanting to go through a job interview only to troll for a few reviews and then get banned from it for a month for trolling.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
The last I heard the ability to rate missions was only going to be given to people who passed the approval process. If this isn't the case anymore we could have a problem but I don't see a lot of griefers wanting to go through a job interview only to troll for a few reviews and then get banned from it for a month for trolling.
There's no 'interview' in my understanding, they just have to agree to the EULA, and abide by it. Meaning it will have to be policed.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
There's no 'interview' in my understanding, they just have to agree to the EULA, and abide by it. Meaning it will have to be policed.
Cryptic is pretty good with enforcing policy. At least on the forums, iquit threads get closed within the first page usually, trolls get banned after a few warnings. I can remember a few, some who probably didn't need to be banned but were, but at least it shows them erring on the side of caution. At least one or two were quite intelligent and very thoughtful, they were just persistent and a bit zealotous about their crusade against the evils of Cryptic.