Lt. Commander
Hey all, I just bought the game tonight and was wondering how exactly the content Cryptic adds works. First off I'm a little confused about what Series, Episodes and Seasons are. Going based on the names I can kind of guess that Seasons are larger updates that don't happen often. Series are a chain of quests for lack of a better way to put it, and episodes would be the individual quests?

Also, are there level requirements to take part in this content? If so, do the series/seasons' content tend to be increasing? What I mean is, are the quests being added now primarily for capped level players?

Lastly, what types of endgame content is there?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Seasons are huge expansions that come along every 3 months with content overhauls and fixes. Season 3 comes out Dec. 9.

Series' are 5 episode arc stories released 1 mission a week to recreate the feel of a TV show. The next Series is due out in January. Each arc has a minimum level requirement, but no max. All the requirements are really low, so a beginner only needs to level a bit before getting access.

Episodes are just quests/missions like any other MMO, you get them through playing through the story missions and exploring the galaxy!

Endgame is currently high level raids for people really into gaming with fleetmates and friends. Once The Foundry (mission editor/builder) gets released, that'll be a new type of end-game.

Congrats on buying the game! We welcome you with open arms! If you haven't used the retail key yet, please consider using my referral key in my sig. Helps me build toward prizes, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I bought the game through the cryptic site here, and I don't believe I ever got a key. Though I was able to log in and was in the process of creating my character when the servers came down for maintenance. I've checked all my emails and there is no key in them either.

Also, a friend who plays this just pointed out to me that my handle is used in game. I wasn't aware of that and don't really care for this name. Is it possible to change it some how, even if there's a fee involved?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Ah then there may not have been a key. Just check your account on the main website (not the forums), and look under activated features. It should say if you have some retail version.

Sorry to hear you started right when the server came down. They haven't needed to that emergency shutdown very often lately.

Edit answer: I don't believe that your handle can be changed. Your character names can be changed with a C-Store transaction though. This inflexibility is to prevent the system from losing account data.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Sorry to hear you started right when the server came down. They haven't needed to that emergency shutdown very often lately.
In a way I'm glad, it actually gives me some time to think through what perks I want and how I want to look like. I was kind of rushing initially.

I was googling a bit about the raid episodes you mentioned and had a question in regards to them. Are these repeatable? I hate comparing MMOs to WoW, but are these raids similar in that you can do them like one time a week or something?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcE0118
In a way I'm glad, it actually gives me some time to think through what perks I want and how I want to look like. I was kind of rushing initially.

I was googling a bit about the raid episodes you mentioned and had a question in regards to them. Are these repeatable? I hate comparing MMOs to WoW, but are these raids similar in that you can do them like one time a week or something?
You can grab the raid missions once every 20 hours, so they're akin to daily missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm a bit blown away right now. During the downtime I was looking around the forum and was wondering what the Foundry was. User created quests and content seems like a very cool thing, especially with the enthusiasm a lot of Star Trek fans have. Who knows what things they'll come up with. I see it's in beta right now, is there any word when this will go live?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcE0118
I'm a bit blown away right now. During the downtime I was looking around the forum and was wondering what the Foundry was. User created quests and content seems like a very cool thing, especially with the enthusiasm a lot of Star Trek fans have. Who knows what things they'll come up with. I see it's in beta right now, is there any word when this will go live?
It's on the test server Tribble right now, although with variable stability.

Not really. Just sometime 'soon' after Season 3 comes out on the 9th. Even after it gets on Holodeck (the live non-test server), it'll still carry the Beta moniker until it has all the features that are planned for it.