Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Without getting into any silly arguments like some already have in this thread, I'll just agree that I wish there was an open PvP nuetral zone instance. I dont enjoy the instanced PvP matches with 5 v 5 or whatever the number may be. Its fun to have the randomness of open PvP zones where anything can happen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artika1 View Post
STO is losing players? or you just stating your opinion as fact? ya just your opinion as fact. This game is not powerlevers game. you need to have fun and enjoy it. If you cant do that you are going to be unhappy.
Now come on are you serious, do I actually have to answer this question, even the Devs will put their hand up and say the amount of people play Star Trek On-line is well below what the most popular IP on the planet should be able to pull in. One world wide server and you still struggle to get a team together, have long pvp queues.

You may love the game, Cryptic and all their staff but at least talk realistic, STO has been a total and utter disaster, pick any forum on any site and see what people say about this game, it's 90% bad and thats why I and all my friends left. I want it to be good, thats why I am here, trying to offer suggestions, it's just better if we all talk as realists and stop being so abusive tbh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Now come on are you serious, do I actually have to answer this question, even the Devs will put their hand up and say the amount of people play Star Trek On-line is well below what the most popular IP on the planet should be able to pull in. One world wide server and you still struggle to get a team together, have long pvp queues.

You may love the game, Cryptic and all their staff but at least talk realistic, STO has been a total and utter disaster, pick any forum on any site and see what people say about this game, it's 90% bad and thats why I and all my friends left. I want it to be good, thats why I am here, trying to offer suggestions, it's just better if we all talk as realists and stop being so abusive tbh.
Without agreeing or disagreeing, I'm just throwing this out there as an actual source of information rather than people simply posting their opinions:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-trek-online
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's quite easy why people don't end up staying in STO.

1) Repetitiveness: Keep doing the same missions day after day, especially with multiple characters, it becomes boring. Exploration missions are really terrible with this.

2) Fast Climb to High-End: For a hardcore player this can be easily done within a few days. They hit high-end, do everything, grind emblems and equip their characters and that's it, nothing else to do.

3) A war without a war. Territoral PvP on multiple fronts would really add to the emersion of actual war and give players a reason to fight.

4) Socializing: Outside of Earth, there is very little communication and very little reason for players to socialize. The return of the STFs might get some people to gain friendships for a little while at least.

These are a few things I view as STO's flaws.
Sounds largely similar to my experience with WoW. It's a genre thing. Although I do agree that leveling up is too fast. I would like to see it take 6-10 hours of gameplay per level once you reach captain, with that increasing every level. Hitting that last level should take a long time, and there needs to be content to do instead of exploration missions. That's the only thing I can fault them for. Otherwise it's an excellent mmo imo.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Now come on are you serious, do I actually have to answer this question, even the Devs will put their hand up and say the amount of people play Star Trek On-line is well below what the most popular IP on the planet should be able to pull in. One world wide server and you still struggle to get a team together, have long pvp queues.
First of all, Star Trek is far from the most popular IP on the planet. In fact, before the JJ Abrams movie (to which this game doesn't correspond) darn near everybody was ready to stick a fork in it and declare it done a couple years ago. Even the JJ Abrams was a modest success. It made less money than the poorest performing of the Star Wars prequels. STO is doing as well as it is because of the remaining popularity of an aging franchise.

Secondly, you're primarily discussing PVP. PVP is pretty far removed from the IP. It just is. I can't think of a single episode or movie that corresponds to any of the PVP scenarios that we have in game. That's reality. And that reality is why Star Trek game have, by and large, done pretty poorly in the past. Games are about combat and continuous action, whereas Star Trek, most of the time, is about reasoning one's way through moral quandaries for example.

I'm not arguing, in any way, that PVP shouldn't be in the game or that we shouldn't have an open pvp sector. I want both. But in terms of having a robust and successful PVP game, the Star Trek IP isn't that much of a draw.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Sounds largely similar to my experience with WoW. It's a genre thing. Although I do agree that leveling up is too fast. I would like to see it take 6-10 hours of gameplay per level once you reach captain, with that increasing every level. Hitting that last level should take a long time, and there needs to be content to do instead of exploration missions. That's the only thing I can fault them for. Otherwise it's an excellent mmo imo.
I agree that it needs to take longer, but I also understand why it is the way it is. Cryptic would have to double the number of episodes Fed side to even out the levelling curve. Because there's nobody, I mean nobody, who would be happy with slower levelling if what that meant was 'Run the same Exploration mission 20 times instead of 6'.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I think a PVP open area for actual territory is a great idea, it provides depth and more of a sense of urgency. I just included this back and forth from the Borg gear section to help make the point.

Quote:
This is just STUPID!!!

Personally I think this is the WORST thing that STO can do to the game!!!! So now they are going to turn it into WOW, where if you don't have the special drop item from doing the raids as a hardcore player, then you are basically S.O.L. as a PVP'er in any run.

I hate the Borg, I think they are a great enemy to have in the game, but even the discussion about having them as a playable faction makes no sense what so ever in a light RP sense.

What I have loved about STO up to this point is the fact that the casual gamer can compete and mix and match their builds to compete with their play style. Are you seriously sitting around saying to yourselves "We should be more like WOW", NO!!!! WOW was great for a little while when it first started, then went to good, now it is at "Meh", sure it is fun for the guy/gal that had the Korean skill farmer rank up there guys and get the gear for them. But for the REAL average player it is LAME IN PVP because of this stuff.

This equipment is about to STOP all of that and make it Borg centric. If you don't have the "I WIN" equipment in your ship then "You Dont".

I will not be using this equipment personally, and if I see that it has become impossible to even dent an opponent in PVP because he/she has chosen to basically assimmulate then I wll probably stop playing PVP all together and potentially PVE if STO decides to scale missions based on the Borg tech, because they suddenly become TOO easy with that crap on their ships.

This is why most casual players (people with work, real life, etc) stopped playing WOW seriously. They were getting sick of losing to someone who had all the best stuff compared to the theirs, because they didn't have time to do the raid to get the gear. This will make things lame and the flames on the forums will be nasty.

I love being able to keep my ships equiped with Star Trek cannon style weapons (i.e. Disruptors for my Klingons and Phasers for my Feds), I get that some people prefer other types, but designing weapons and equipment that is "better than average" will tip the scales ina bad direction.

That my opinion, whatever! Let the Flame War begin with the Borg sycophants begin.

Survey says!!! EPIC FAIL
Quote:
While I somewhat understand your point, I think every game, that is not completely based on RNG, will be dominated by players with more time to invest. May it be better gear or just more experience. You cannot compete when you're investing just a small part of the time like others do. And that is the way it should be.

I personally like the new stuff, just because it shows, Cryptic pays attention to itemization at last. This specific stuff isn't a must have (not in pvp at least) and I doubt you will be kicked out of a STF group because you haven't got all parts together.

So it's a tiny step into the right direction, evolving STO into a serious MMO. We can all just hope this is nothing more but the merely beginning of it.

Quote:
I agree, I LOVE the customization and itemization, and I really do hope that it is just the beginning. But I REALLY hope that this does not become the end all, be all for the game. I want STO to be a serious MMO, I feel that it is, I just want to make sure that it stays true to it's roots when it advertised it was for both serious and casual gamers, which it has been so far.

I have been able to dedicate time seriously, but have also been hamstrung by real life (like all of us) from time to time. I just don't want this to become "No Fun" for some people based on "Having to Have" certain pieces of gear.

That is all I am saying (REALLY), that is what ruined WOW for me and to a lesser extent EVE. Both are games that I enjoyed playing, but once there was a "Gear Race" gap for me and others, it became less fun because you became fair game to the campers. gankers, etc. Now STO admittedly has a built in firewall currently in the form of PVP venues, but with the call for open PVP in all sectors by some, this has the potential to go down that road.

My rant is just my initial reaction to something I saw as potentially ruining all of the improvements they have been making throughout the year. I love the fact that this MMO is not a "gear quest" game and that is what keeps me playing, I know I am not the only one who feels that way, I just wanted to say it. If the gear is added but kept in check somehow, then I don't care what another player adds to their ship. It's theirs and they are paying to play, so enjoy. But when I feel that I am being forced to use or add something that doesn't fit my character, play style, or side, just to play day to day, then I see THAT as a problem. Having it as an option = Great, compelling me to use it to compete = Sucks.

Not flaming you, I am just responding to your valid point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I bought the game on release and levelled a Klingon to max, I quit the game 2 weeks later along with all my m8's.

I returned 5 weeks ago and have since levelled up a Fed Science officer to max level, kitted the ship out with purple weapons and equipment and am pretty much ready to quit the game again.

WHY?

Well the simple reason is there is nothing at all for me to do. Yes I could spend the next 2 months farming the emblems for the XII gear but tell me why? What is the point? I can't do anything with them?

When I played WOW I farmed good gear for a reason, it was so I could attack the enemy faction. About 6 or 7 of us would gear up and then attack the Alliance, ride into their lands, cause mayhem, have an adventure, see how long we could last, get chased away by 10 or 15 Alliance, it was amazing fun.

Why in Star trek is there no neutral zone? An area of space that I can venture into and feel at risk? An area that would be exciting, an area that is not safe. I always remember watching ST and when the enterprise ventured into the neutral zone it was exciting, how can you leave this out of STO?

I would love a neutral zone where instead of enemy signal contacts, you had a system where if you came close to a ship of the opposite faction you get the option to hail them and warn them to leave the zone or attack them. If you attack you and your team are taken to an instance a bit like the current pvp battlegrounds and have to fight the enemy and his team, how cool would that be? It would add something of an adventure to this very boring end game mmo, it would certainly give me a reason to keep playing and farm for good gear.

I see no reason anyone should object to this feature being added to the game as the pvp players get something to do and the PvE players that detest pvp don't need to enter the zone, they can just continue to play the game as they do already, it's win, win.
Sounds like you need to go back to WoW, which is a known PvP game. This one is not. If it was, I'd leave it too.

It's a PvE game with PvP elements in it, that are a personal choice. You'd be happy in WoW, clearly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I support the developers, and I understand the situation that they are in. There are simply not enough staff to keep up with content that can even think to compare to the more popular mmos.

But I understand what the original poster is saying. There isn't much to do. It's just a fact. There's no reason to get offended by that statement. It's not the developers' fault, they are doing the best that they can with a small staff.

I think we can all agree that this game was released too early. I'm afraid Cataclysm will eat into subscription numbers, but I hope that one day star trek will be all it can be!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
I think we can all agree that this game was released too early. I'm afraid Cataclysm will eat into subscription numbers, but I hope that one day star trek will be all it can be!
As someone who spent 5 months playtesting Cataclysm I agree that it will eat into sub numbers - the subs that were borderline bored with STO anyway - but in a month or two, after they've blown through Cataclysm, they'll be back. The two games satisfy two different itches; and STO's really the only decent non-PvPcentric SciFi MMO out there to play.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 AM.