Lt. Commander
So since this game come out who here has an Idea of what are the hard numbers of the Federation Forces, Romulan Forces, KDF, Breen, Cardassians and the Gorn? Any one care to take a guess?

For me I would say the Federation would have no less then 10k Ships to keep their borders safe since they are so vast. Beside 10K ships is small in number, 10k Ships could also fit one one entire planet, it would be stupid of the Federation to have less then that to protect over 150 fifty worlds at last count.

KDF I would say 5K , small but miltaristic. Romulans- 3k. Gorn 3, Breen I would say about 5k for them. Space is vast those amount of ships would be buyt a small drop in the ocean that is known as the Alpha quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd say 55k Federation admirals, 15k Klink generals.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 07:44 PM
The Federation varies in size and strength from episode to episode.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Klinks beat feds, even when outnumbered lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbond45 View Post
Klinks beat feds, even when outnumbered lol
I wonder about that. More klingons seem to also die when fighting feds. Attrition may be the death of klingons. BoPs tend to blow up or suicide, but they have small crews. On the other hand, larger ships have vast crews in comparison to fed ships, blowing each of them up blows up thousands of klingons.

The federation is probably reaching 200 members by now. Given that a single starfleet only fleet reached about 600 ships (7th fleet), i would guess starfleet has not much more than 10k vessels, including non-combat ones.

Ronald Moore once said though that he would guess the numbers at around 30k. Although he based that off reasoning by starship registry numbers.

Klingons? Should be much fewer, but i would think they have comparable numbers of combat-ready ships as starfleet. Starfleet could have huge numbers, but much of it is probably not combat-oriented. Those may still have armaments, but will probably never be included regularly in combat fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
One thing I never liked in the series, any series, is that they did not convey how big Starfleet really was. You never saw more than a handful of ships at a time, except for maybe the latter seasons of DS9. Even then, Starfleet seemed a lot smaller then it really should be considering all the worlds in the federation. I suppose, you could count *just* Starfleet ships, or you could count the aligned worlds ships as part of that as well, i.e. Vulcan ships, Andorian ships, and every other race out there that is part of the federation. In that context, the fleet would be REALLY REALLY large compared to say the Klingons or Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
Yeah, and I always preferred the "Best of Both Worlds" and old school Trek idea that Starfleet didn't have thousands of ship, but rather only a handful (after all, making a Starship is an incredible undertaking). Did not like the Deep Space Nine "copy and paste" where apparently there are 100,000 ships in Starfleet.

Yeah, right. And the Academy only takes a few dozen applicants each year and takes 4-6 years to complete. It's so strict BOTH Wesley Crush AND Captain Picard failed entrance exams the first time, but there's 100,00 ships of Starfleet Grads (who, also, are 90% Human, BTW).

Baloney. There's only a handful. Starfleet is the best of a billion, not a billion.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM
federation = a million ships of exploration

kdf = thousands of war ships

a war ship = alot more then 1 ship of exploration
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Did not like the Deep Space Nine "copy and paste" where apparently there are 100,000 ships in Starfleet.
the most they ever suggested was about 10'000 based on a quote that at one point the combined power of the breen, cardassians and dominion stood at 30'000 (so roughly 10'000 per major power maybe with the dominion holding the bulk of the ships) so we can guess that the feds are similar placed.

so 100'000 is not right. and a large chunk of them where just fighters or hulls of ships with minimal skeleton crews.

either way its still a hell of a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
I guess that's true. Trek has always been extremely vague when it comes to details - be it technology, biology or just simple numbers. In terms of STO, the usual MMO formula of a 40k'ish "eternal balance" between the opposing forces would seem to imply, same as with the Alliance and the Horde in WoW.

Sadly, it doesn't help that you blow up Typhoons and Negh'vars in droves. Could have been solved a little more elegant, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Did not like the Deep Space Nine "copy and paste" where apparently there are 100,000 ships in Starfleet.
Have to agree there. The battles of DS9 were quite epic and enjoyable, yet stood in a strong contrast to what we used to see in the other shows. Heck, Wolf 359 was 60 ships and they said that Starfleet was almost crippled because they lost them.
DS9 felt like the "more ships -> more explosions -> more viewers" kind of logic. Again, not saying I didn't enjoy it, but ... meh, it did feel very inflated, and unnecessarily so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Ronald Moore once said though that he would guess the numbers at around 30k. Although he based that off reasoning by starship registry numbers.
Which would include shuttlecraft and transports.
Registry numbers made a very odd "jump" from TNG to DS9, anyways. No idea what system they use - if they really just add +1 to each ship, or if they differentiate between ship categories, with the first one or two digits stating the ship's function (i.e. patrol frigate, explorer, etc).