Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Assimilated Tractor beam...cool. I am going to love this stuff, and I can't wait until the final Borg STF, the hive is released to I can go and get my TB! These all look cool, and the graphics on hem are cool too. Good job Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Now am I correct in assuming that in order to get the "Set" bonus, you need to have that many of the Borg parts equipped? Like in order to get the Set 4 bonus, you'd have to have 4 Borg parts equipped?
yes

this message is too short
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Now, joking aside, the set looks okay. Nothing here is unbalanced. I think that the idea of having sets is cool and adds something to gameplay. Also, if something seems a little unbalanced, Cryptic will just change it so that it isn't. None of this is bad and overall, I think it will help the game a lot. I can't wait until the Hive comes out and we get to see what the final ability will be (please be Shield Neutralizer.)

Oh, and from the description, the console stacks. I can tell I am going to be seeing a lot of those around.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciritai View Post
This is just STUPID!!!

Personally I think this is the WORST thing that STO can do to the game!!!! So now they are going to turn it into WOW, where if you don't have the special drop item from doing the raids as a hardcore player, then you are basically S.O.L. as a PVP'er in any run.

I hate the Borg, I think they are a great enemy to have in the game, but even the discussion about having them as a playable faction makes no sense what so ever in a light RP sense.

What I have loved about STO up to this point is the fact that the casual gamer can compete and mix and match their builds to compete with their play style. Are you seriously sitting around saying to yourselves "We should be more like WOW", NO!!!! WOW was great for a little while when it first started, then went to good, now it is at "Meh", sure it is fun for the guy/gal that had the Korean skill farmer rank up there guys and get the gear for them. But for the REAL average player it is LAME IN PVP because of this stuff.

This equipment is about to STOP all of that and make it Borg centric. If you don't have the "I WIN" equipment in your ship then "You Dont".

I will not be using this equipment personally, and if I see that it has become impossible to even dent an opponent in PVP because he/she has chosen to basically assimmulate then I wll probably stop playing PVP all together and potentially PVE if STO decides to scale missions based on the Borg tech, because they suddenly become TOO easy with that crap on their ships.

This is why most casual players (people with work, real life, etc) stopped playing WOW seriously. They were getting sick of losing to someone who had all the best stuff compared to the theirs, because they didn't have time to do the raid to get the gear. This will make things lame and the flames on the forums will be nasty.

I love being able to keep my ships equiped with Star Trek cannon style weapons (i.e. Disruptors for my Klingons and Phasers for my Feds), I get that some people prefer other types, but designing weapons and equipment that is "better than average" will tip the scales ina bad direction.

That my opinion, whatever! Let the Flame War begin with the Borg sycophants begin.

Survey says!!! EPIC FAIL
LOL, its apparent that you are not a serious experienced PVP player because if you were you would realize that these items are not a "make or break PVP" to have them or not.

Even when I do grind them all, I will only be using the console.

Get over it. Your a casual gamer and have casual gear. But even in this game you dont' have to be on a rated PVP arena team to get the best gear. It doesn't take very long at all to have all purples if that is your perrogative. I actually have many purple deflectors but have a blue (rare) deflector that owns them all.

I am a ex WOW player and I can excitedly report that his game is nothing like that gear grind nonsense, however there does need to be rewards for serious players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciritai View Post
I agree, I LOVE the customization and itemization, and I really do hope that it is just the beginning. But I REALLY hope that this does not become the end all, be all for the game. I want STO to be a serious MMO, I feel that it is, I just want to make sure that it stays true to it's roots when it advertised it was for both serious and casual gamers, which it has been so far.

I have been able to dedicate time seriously, but have also been hamstrung by real life (like all of us) from time to time. I just don't want this to become "No Fun" for some people based on "Having to Have" certain pieces of gear.

That is all I am saying (REALLY), that is what ruined WOW for me and to a lesser extent EVE. Both are games that I enjoyed playing, but once there was a "Gear Race" gap for me and others, it became less fun because you became fair game to the campers. gankers, etc. Now STO admittedly has a built in firewall currently in the form of PVP venues, but with the call for open PVP in all sectors by some, this has the potential to go down that road.

My rant is just my initial reaction to something I saw as potentially ruining all of the improvements they have been making throughout the year. I love the fact that this MMO is not a "gear quest" game and that is what keeps me playing, I know I am not the only one who feels that way, I just wanted to say it. If the gear is added but kept in check somehow, then I don't care what another player adds to their ship. It's theirs and they are paying to play, so enjoy. But when I feel that I am being forced to use or add something that doesn't fit my character, play style, or side, just to play day to day, then I see THAT as a problem. Having it as an option = Great, compelling me to use it to compete = Sucks.

Not flaming you, I am just responding to your valid point.
Sorry but i just plain disagree with your post and that's putting in nicely, else i invoke the wrath of the forum gods

There is already gear grind in this game as you need to do daily's to get emblems to get good gear.
The difference in this game and others is the good gear is only slightly better than standard stuff with only minor % chances to affect things, however in a PVP environment even the slightly % chance can mean the difference between winning and losing.

Anyone playing any game or even any real life activity, the person that does it more and invests more time will always have an advantage (both through experience and gear)

This game you want where a casual that hardly plays can come in and compete with someone that invests a large amount of time in the game just doesn't exist ( it doesn't exist in any real life activity and it don't exist here.) i'm afraid cryptic marking spin has gotten to you. Sure you may be able to compete in PVE ( so easy i can go afk with autofire on and still win) but in PVP there is no way ever a casual player will compete with a regular pvper.

More gear is always a good thing, as it allows more variety and setups. I welcome this extra stuff and hope to see more types and sets in the future. Though i would prefer a weapon rebalance and torpedo rebalance as well as a shield rebalance first.

As others have said this stuff is not even the best gear and not a "must have" and to get the set bonus you would sacrifice a lot. I can't see anything in here that would be useful in PVP except the console.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermist
Sorry but i just plain disagree with your post and that's putting in nicely, else i invoke the wrath of the forum gods

There is already gear grind in this game as you need to do daily's to get emblems to get good gear.
The difference in this game and others is the good gear is only slightly better than standard stuff with only minor % chances to affect things, however in a PVP environment even the slightly % chance can mean the difference between winning and losing.
No, it doesn't. That's where I disagree already. It will matter if there are two groups with perfect tactics and builds working agaisnt each other, but that never happens.
Other aspects define the gameplay far more. And I like it that way.

The entire Emblem Hunt is mostly pointless. There is currently exactly one item that you should probably have - the item that increases your shield capacity. Beyond that, emblem hunting is just for the nice fuzzy feel of having "all purples". It's not to beat a STF, a Fleet Action, a storyline episode or an enemy PvP team.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No, it doesn't. That's where I disagree already. It will matter if there are two groups with perfect tactics and builds working agaisnt each other, but that never happens.
Other aspects define the gameplay far more. And I like it that way.

The entire Emblem Hunt is mostly pointless. There is currently exactly one item that you should probably have - the item that increases your shield capacity. Beyond that, emblem hunting is just for the nice fuzzy feel of having "all purples". It's not to beat a STF, a Fleet Action, a storyline episode or an enemy PvP team.
LOL WAT?

the entire emblem hunt pointless?

The whole game of STO, is based around reward hunting. Everything from explore marks to PVP badges to mission rewards all offer rewards to get better gear from stores. If you took all this and just offer missions with no rewards other than XP and see how long the game lasts, STO would be dead overnight. Just look at the the people crying about the breen officer and wheres mah TOS phaser reward i want one! QQ! MOAR!

As for emblems being pointless, Wrong. You pretty much need co variant cap x3 + field generator (why i asked for shield rebalance) and +26 weapon consoles, not to mention the entire STO economy and exchange prices are based around the supply and demand of unbound gear which the easiest way to get is to buy from emblems.

I bet your one of those federation players that goes into PVP with any old setup and is the first to die because he's the squishy one, then comes onto forums to cry how klingons are OP

FACT is that the emblem hunt (once you have completed all the missions) is pretty much STO's end game as there is nothing else to do. Apart from PVP and griefing people in drozana and Kerat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermist
LOL WAT?

the entire emblem hunt pointless?

The whole game of STO, is based around reward hunting. Everything from explore marks to PVP badges to mission rewards all offer rewards to get better gear from stores. If you took all this and just offer missions with no rewards other than XP and see how long the game lasts, STO would be dead overnight. Just look at the the people crying about the breen officer and wheres mah TOS phaser reward i want one! QQ! MOAR!

As for emblems being pointless, Wrong. You pretty much need co variant cap x3 + field generator (why i asked for shield rebalance) and +26 weapon consoles, not to mention the entire STO economy and exchange prices are based around the supply and demand of unbound gear which the easiest way to get is to buy from emblems.

I bet your one of those federation players that goes into PVP with any old setup and is the first to die because he's the squishy one, then comes onto forums to cry how klingons are OP


FACT is that the emblem hunt (once you have completed all the missions) is pretty much STO's end game as there is nothing else to do. Apart from PVP and griefing people in drozana and Kerat.
i think your right if you've not got good gear or good weapons and sheilding then you might aswell go into a PvP without your ships sheilds and well then it would be like being a tier one ship with no points speced into it against a maxed out +2 NPC ship or pvp'er who has maxed out 6 klingon chararcters

(note:all the klingons had at the begining were PvP's so you want to know why we are "OP" because we "practice" when u feds are fighting easy little NPC's
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaniol View Post
i think your right if you've not got good gear or good weapons and sheilding then you might aswell go into a PvP without your ships sheilds and well then it would be like being a tier one ship with no points speced into it against a maxed out +2 NPC ship or pvp'er who has maxed out 6 klingon chararcters
what a crock of BS below is a pic of me fighing at BG5 in a t2 ship with the gear that came with it, we had run a couple of matches and before i was using t5 shields and weapons but they laughed and said i should use the t2 ones so i did for this, which was why it was worth a screenshot, well for me at least.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3...0051822534.jpg

If using t2 weapons made little difference then using t5 or t6 wpns of any colour will not make any real difference. Yes it might save you to have a slightly higher hull or shield once or twice but tbh how you play will save you more often than an extra 1000 shield facing or 6k hull strength. Course the kdf is OP so a t2 bop is equal to a t5 escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
12-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaniol View Post
i think your right if you've not got good gear or good weapons and sheilding then you might aswell go into a PvP without your ships sheilds.
This reminds me of the old days in this DOB video.

While gear is usually not that important in this game, there have been items - like the proton rifle or the freeze grenades in their first incarnation - which imbalanced the gameplay. So far this has been limited to ground combat...

I'm not a fan of gear with pvp impact coming from STFs or other PvE-only grinds. I'd prefer if such gear was limited to PvE boni, like the anti-borg weapons in the Marks of Valour store.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 AM.