Lt. Commander
# 11
12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Add a bridge to that TOS interior from the Time Travel mission and you've earned your paycheck for the day
This times 1000
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
That's a good point, I'll consider adding patrol maps as well.

I'm still curious how many authors will create unique missions versus stories based off of Cryptic made missions. All of the ideas I've seen so far are totally off the beaten trail
I made one during closed beta that tied into the overarching Undine-Spies-in-Starfleet story, The Vulcans wanted to leave the Federation over the faulty, misleading wars started.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:

I'm still curious how many authors will create unique missions versus stories based off of Cryptic made missions. All of the ideas I've seen so far are totally off the beaten trail
There are a couple of patrol maps I sorely, sorely want.

More is better, put em in
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:

I'll chime in and raise two points:

1) I'm wary of playing with stories you set in motion because you might contradict me later.

2) Star Trek is huge. I mean, HUGE. I started off with stories like a locked room murder mystery that frankly can't be done without branching dialogue. It's part of why I haven't published anything (the other part being that I tend to gravitate towards customizing maps and learning tricks in the system to make unique content and I'm wary to make stuff that will break and be forgotten when The Foundry goes live.)

My approach right now is to start with what I know I can do in the Foundry. Look at a few mechanics or costumes that intrigue me. Then I research and write up an outline, emphasizing a five act story structure that mimicks the shows. Right now, I'm sitting on a couple of these but focusing on learning and bughunting in the system's mechanics when I test.

My big thing, inspired by the weeklies, is to build on the TV shows but not to over-emphasize one at the expense of another. My ideal mission type builds on elements we've seen in all five shows and avoids hitting you over the head with the Enterprise crews themselves, as I think that can easily overshadow the player.

So my missions will have nods to Colonel Green from TOS and Enterprise or Garth of Izar or Paul Manheim. People who were minor in the scope of the shows but who might be important in-universe.

Down the road, I'd love to have a mission that talks about Carol Marcus and her work and her legacy... and never really acknowledges Kirk.

That's truer to life, I think. The universe doesn't revolve around the TV series casts for people who live in that universe. Those characters' adventures are important but they're just one aspect of it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
When we are talking interiors, we definitely need some "damaged" interiors, like they were used in the Q episode or one of the Klingon missions.

My first test mission was set in Wolf 359 (unfortunately, we don't have a map for that, so I had to haphazardly build something that didn't look anything like Wolf 359), moving aboard a ship wreck. Unfortunately, there is no ship wreck interior, so it looks like a perfectly crisp and totally unfitting ship interior.

Zero meant yesterday there wasn't a good reason to use instanced versions of the social maps for UGC. I respectfulyl disagree - you don't know what players will do with that, but you can be sure they will find a use for it, and it might be good.

(Heck I even have an idea for activity on Risa, on the current map. Some kind of "Damsel in Distress Story" or "broken hearts" story. Why not play that on the map for Risa?)

You can prioritize the type of maps you want to give out, sure, but at no point you should have the impression that some maps would be useless. More is better. (As long as you give us some decent ways to filter out the maps. You might need to think about that again...)
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
When we are talking interiors, we definitely need some "damaged" interiors, like they were used in the Q episode or one of the Klingon missions.

My first test mission was set in Wolf 359 (unfortunately, we don't have a map for that, so I had to haphazardly build something that didn't look anything like Wolf 359), moving aboard a ship wreck. Unfortunately, there is no ship wreck interior, so it looks like a perfectly crisp and totally unfitting ship interior.

Zero meant yesterday there wasn't a good reason to use instanced versions of the social maps for UGC. I respectfulyl disagree - you don't know what players will do with that, but you can be sure they will find a use for it, and it might be good.

(Heck I even have an idea for activity on Risa, on the current map. Some kind of "Damsel in Distress Story" or "broken hearts" story. Why not play that on the map for Risa?)

You can prioritize the type of maps you want to give out, sure, but at no point you should have the impression that some maps would be useless. More is better. (As long as you give us some decent ways to filter out the maps. You might need to think about that again...)
There are a couple damaged interiors in the library already... in fact the very first map in the interior maps list (Alini Saratoga) is the damaged interior from the State of Q mission you were thinking of.

Most of the social maps are in there too. The only ones I think I'm missing are ESD/Sol and Qo'Nos space.

Anyway, maps will come in at a steady pace, and unless there is a specific reason we can't make it available all of the maps in STO will eventually make it in.

I'm also welcome to suggestions for better filters for those maps, and I believe we will soon make the search box cover the name AND description.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the reply, mapolis. I will have to recheck and rebuild, i suppose. (Provided I can get it to work again at all, yesterday evening I suddenly had some issues getting onto the GameServer - logging and character selection worked, but getting into playing my char didn't...)

This might be stuff to filter for (without looking at the tool and remembering which filters we already have.)

Some broad categories one might filter for:
- Ship Interior
- Base Interior
- Ground
- [By Faction]
- Social Maps
- Storyline Mission Maps
- Patrol Mission Maps
- [By Sector Block] (So if I remember there was a cool map in a Pi Canis mission, I can look here)
- Social Hubs (Example: Earth Space Dock and Gandala, but not Andor or Vulcan)
- Damaged Interior

That should allow narrowing down to the maps you are actually interested in.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Quote:
The only ones I think I'm missing are ESD/Sol and Qo'Nos space.
The Great Hall on Qo'noS was going to be part of a mission I'm currently creating and Qo'noS space is vital to the mission I'm currently creating, why would the Qo'noS space map be left out?

Also, I was going to use The Great Hall, but you can't actually use The Great Hall that is active, full of NPC's and players. You instead have to create a duplicate of the map, which means once the player has transferred to the duplicate map of The Great Hall, the place is empty. To make my mission authentic, I would have to attempt to duplicate each and every single NPC.

Why is there not a way to have a character interact with an object or to talk to a contact or get a dialogue pop up, which then allows you to trigger a beam animation and a map transfer back to the original Qo'noS Space map or the original Great Hall?

Why can't I include in my story arc, a way for the player to leave Qo'noS, enter sector space to set course for another system?

Also, it would be a great addition, if you could include animation options for contacts or when interacting with anything like a pop up, not just objects and after interacting with an object, contact or pop up or anything, it would be great if a map transfer could be triggered.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Why can't I include in my story arc, a way for the player to leave Qo'noS, enter sector space to set course for another system?
This you can do. What you want is to set the first transition from the Planet to sector space.

Then make the next transition from sector space to the place you want to go.

For example, my mission takes place on DS9, but must be acquired on Sol Station. When I playtest, the game takes me directly aboard DS9 so I can start the mission, but in the regular game I would have to get myself there somehow -- travel to and beam down to the habitat ring.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_NerdChieftain_o_HON3
What you want is to set the first transition from the Planet to sector space.
How do you do that?

So far I've only been able to figure out that you can enter a system map that you have created, if it's not under your list of maps, you can't enter it.