Lt. Commander
# 11
12-06-2010, 07:18 AM
They can take free submissions for a ship from anyone. They can't make a contest out of it or offer a prize, though. People would have to submit ideas out of the kindness of their hearts.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmutt View Post
Was anyone else really annoyed to read in "Ask Cryptic" that the up coming contest "Design the Enterprise F" will probably only be open to the U.S.?
Let me put it this way....my avatar is patrolling California waters.....and he's hungry!
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
funny yall should say that, I live in the US and I dont even care to try and design the Enterprise F. So...Meh, i wont complain when it turns out looking like a flying toilet seat.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
I remember when TNG launched and thousands of fans were on the various BBSs complaining about how awkward and ugly the D looked compared to the Constitution TMP refit or the Excelsior. One man's Picasso is another man's flying toilet seat.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I remember when TNG launched and thousands of fans were on the various BBSs complaining about how awkward and ugly the D looked compared to the Constitution TMP refit or the Excelsior. One man's Picasso is another man's flying toilet seat.
yea, you can't really go pleasing to the eyes with most modern art masterpieces.....still i digress.....maybe Ole George W should run for the EU leadership...he's change those laws real quick for being to complicated to understand...and then he'd invade a small country and start diggin for oil ... what can you do? He's a Texan.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
They can take free submissions for a ship from anyone. They can't make a contest out of it or offer a prize, though. People would have to submit ideas out of the kindness of their hearts.
Been there, done that.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=174624
(page 2)
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
yea, you can't really go pleasing to the eyes with most modern art masterpieces.....still i digress.....maybe Ole George W should run for the EU leadership...he's change those laws real quick for being to complicated to understand...and then he'd invade a small country and start diggin for oil ... what can you do? He's a Texan.
With George W at the helm,you don't get a ship that looks like a toilet seat.....you get a toilet seat
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmutt View Post
Was anyone else really annoyed to read in "Ask Cryptic" that the up coming contest "Design the Enterprise F" will probably only be open to the U.S.?
Not really, as I understand the limittations of international bussiness law and do not let such trivial things bother me. Its rather childish to act so considering that Cryptic must obey the restrictions of world commerce law and may not have the resources to throw a worldwide contest.
Thanks for setting the precendent though for my future excuse of ranting why its unfair the US players can't involved in something. I would have posted a complaint about how the US players couldn't get the England to be in the world record attempt by Cryptic from a few months back without spoending money and time to travel, but I didn't wantr to come off as childish.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
How about doing away with the computer/subscription part of the contest...that is what is making it limited to the US.

What about just having the Enterprise F contest and the person who wins, gets a unique title in-game and the pride of having designed the new enterprise?
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
How about doing away with the computer/subscription part of the contest...that is what is making it limited to the US.

What about just having the Enterprise F contest and the person who wins, gets a unique title in-game and the pride of having designed the new enterprise?
You're assuming that's the only reason. There could very well be other factors. For example, what about your copyright. Just saying "out of the kindness of my heart, I'll give this to you for free" might not be valid in every country. And suddenly someone could argue that Cryptic is using a copyrighted element from a subscriber in Croatia, which violates Croatian right, and thus unless Cryptic stops using it, would ban all access to the game for Croatian users.
Certainly, that might be a ridiculous example. But could you guarantee it?