Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Stations Redesign
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I was thinking today, why are low level ships limited to only Ensign level Bridge Officer stations? The immediate answer is that they are low tier ships and you don't want them to be to powerful. But when you think about it, a Lieutenant player can't use a Commander BO, so what would be the harm in having a Commander level station on the ship?

I propose that all ships get reconfigured to be serviceable at the top level. Hull and weapon slots shouldn't be changed much but all ships should have a reasonable amount of BO slots. They would still be flimsy but you wouldn't be gimped with almost no BO slots.

Example:
TIer 0
TOS Connie
Commander Engineer
Lt. Commander Science
Lieutenant Tactical

Miranda
Commander Tactical
Lt. Commander Science
Lieutenant Engineer

NX-01
Commander Science
Lt. Commander Engineer
Lieutenant Tactical
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
That would work if you actually had a CHOICE of which starter to choose from

ROFL: that just gave me a thought

TOS Connie: Charmander
NX-Class: Squartle
Miranda,Shikar,Centaur: Bulbasaur.

I probably just scarred a few players with that right there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-05-2010, 02:19 AM
I agree, im currently capped at Vice admiral, but my favorite ship will always stay my Stargazer class, i can live with the few weapons slots, but since the ships are...apparently so dependant on officer skills (more than your own sometimes ) it is seriously bringing me down, it woudl be nice to reservice those ships in ways that even at higher levels we could use to ships properly
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Yeah, this is an excellent idea. It also allows players that want to keep their ship to play with it all the way to endgame, if they want to, since as they promote their officers they're still viable in their ship.
Plus, you're limiting the ship only by it's tier (ie. number of weapons, consoles etc) so its balanced at endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
What's to stop yourself from getting a fully trained Commander BO from someone (via trade) and putting it onto your ship while you're still an Lt?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
What's to stop yourself from getting a fully trained Commander BO from someone (via trade) and putting it onto your ship while you're still an Lt?
I tried this going along those same thoughts once, the game prevents the trade. You must be the appropriate rank to use the officer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarkean View Post
I was thinking today, why are low level ships limited to only Ensign level Bridge Officer stations? The immediate answer is that they are low tier ships and you don't want them to be to powerful. But when you think about it, a Lieutenant player can't use a Commander BO, so what would be the harm in having a Commander level station on the ship?

I propose that all ships get reconfigured to be serviceable at the top level. Hull and weapon slots shouldn't be changed much but all ships should have a reasonable amount of BO slots. They would still be flimsy but you wouldn't be gimped with almost no BO slots.

Example:
TIer 0
TOS Connie
Commander Engineer
Lt. Commander Science
Lieutenant Tactical

Miranda
Commander Tactical
Lt. Commander Science
Lieutenant Engineer

NX-01
Commander Science
Lt. Commander Engineer
Lieutenant Tactical
I like this idea, but I'd make one change...

The NX comes with two Tac Device Slots, therefore indicating somewhat that it's a TAC ship.
So make the Miranda the SCI ship and it would be fine with me.

Science makes more sense for the Miranda Class anyway, Terrell and Chekov were on a Scientific Mission for Dr. Marcus, when Khan stole the Reliant.