Lt. Commander
# 1 Foundry Christmas Wish List
12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Things I would LOVE to see under the STO tree :p

1. Be able to direct a player BACK to sector space to fly to a custom space map attached to a different
door than the first one I used.

2. Designate SOL system and the Klingon Capital system as available doors.

3. Allow us to delete actors from FRIENDLY NPC Groups.

4. Include the Captain (player) in the available list of pop up conversation..put it in with
the Bo's ............getting tired of just the officers relaying the story with the captain just
getting one-liners.

5. Fix the NPC actor placement code...up and down on the foundry map is backward...I put the
actor next to the north wall, when played they end up next to the south wall. Right/left seems to work.

6. 3D placement maps in the foundry...

7. Klingon turbo lifts

8. Various piles of wrecked spaceship to place on interior ship maps when we want the place
really torn up.

9. Add the following emotes for contacts ... surprise, unsure, mirth (silly)

10. Allow the writer to substitute a comment bubble over the head of the person speaking,
instead of that big pop up box all the time. If the person speaking is not within 15 meters of
the player, it defaults back to the box.

Tis the season to be jolly................MEOW :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Allow us to set a path for NPCs to follow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Allow us to set a path for NPCs to follow.
yup yup make that number 11. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
any more to add to our christmas list?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
The Captain as talker would be nice. That's a feature they should in their own missions, too.

But if that's too much to ask for - at least give us a little more text on our buttons. This way, we can have a semblance of actual dialog.

---

I would like the ability to give a contact more then one text thing to say and more then one reply. I know, that route lies madness, err branching storylines, but at first I'd like to start with something basic as having the option to ask an NPC multile questions and getting the replies, without having to do it all sequential or other awkward manners as it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
lol conversations with no captain choice

Npc - blah blah blah blah blah
Player - ya
Npc - blah blah blah blah blah
Bo - blah blah blah blah blah
player - ya
Bo - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ect.

kinda 1 sided.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The Captain as talker would be nice. That's a feature they should in their own missions, too.
It is something I'd rather not see, personally.

The BOffs and such, they can say things that are their duty to say. And while they are my crew, they are still NPCs, so someone else taking control of them is more acceptable.

The captain isn't. He's something of the player's design. He might always make references to poetry and plays. He might be exceptionally chatty. He might only say what needs to be said. Whatever he is, it belongs to the player. Their choice, not the writer of the mission.

Now, multiple answers, that, on the other hand, adds to it, as players can pick the one that is most appropriate to their captain...potentially anyway, since currently doing that tends to result in mission failure

But once we get that in the foundry, I expect we'll see players making some more intricate conversation trees, closer to the bioware games, a bit more of a chance to roleplay.

Anyway, the short of it, giving my captain choices of what to say good, putting words in my captain's mouth bad.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
It is something I'd rather not see, personally.

The BOffs and such, they can say things that are their duty to say. And while they are my crew, they are still NPCs, so someone else taking control of them is more acceptable.

The captain isn't. He's something of the player's design. He might always make references to poetry and plays. He might be exceptionally chatty. He might only say what needs to be said. Whatever he is, it belongs to the player. Their choice, not the writer of the mission.

Now, multiple answers, that, on the other hand, adds to it, as players can pick the one that is most appropriate to their captain...potentially anyway, since currently doing that tends to result in mission failure

But once we get that in the foundry, I expect we'll see players making some more intricate conversation trees, closer to the bioware games, a bit more of a chance to roleplay.

Anyway, the short of it, giving my captain choices of what to say good, putting words in my captain's mouth bad.
Ahhhhh ...you expect me to say your wrong, but your not.
>>> IF <<<<
the fighting and such in your mission is more important than the story
basically..an object based mission

PERFECTLY FINE

Some folks wanna do social areas
some PvP battles
some objective base --- all valid

however, if you want to tell a story, as the main part of a mission.......the captain has to speak.
if you read a novel....who has the majority of the spoken lines ? The main character.

Objective mission...you present a challange ...the player wins or loses <or does a bunch of respawning>...very cool

Story mission...you tell a story ... the outcome is set..the player will rarely need to respawn,
combat has a reason, it is not for combat sake.

So in short
We need captian pop up conversations.......for storytellers
other types prob could live without it.

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd like to see the Original Starbase exterior/blank interior maps.

I'm talking about the starbase from the movies and TNG era surely some of these would still be in service in STO's timeline.

Also the ability to manually pilot the ship into spacedock and see other ships docked there.

something like:

10k from starbase a pop up appears but instead of saying would you like to dock an option to open the outer doors and then you pilot your ship in and when you reach a point inside it asks if you want to dock and then plays a cut scene of your ship coming to rest in space dock.

Once docked it places you on your bridge and you walk to the air lock.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
however, if you want to tell a story, as the main part of a mission.......the captain has to speak.
if you read a novel....who has the majority of the spoken lines ? The main character.
The big difference though between this and a novel is that in a novel, the main character belongs to the author, while in an RPG, he belongs to the player.

Quote:
Story mission...you tell a story ... the outcome is set..the player will rarely need to respawn,
combat has a reason, it is not for combat sake.
This is the case is in pretty much any non-randomly generated mission in STO. A story gets told. The outcome is set. Combat is there for a reason (typically mobs guarding the area). Yeah, most have quite a bit of combat, but that's because combat has a good ratio of playtime versus developer time. Yet they do it without taking control of the player's character.

And for some of these missions, a primary thing players would like to see? The option to say or do a few different things. For their captain to do what their captain would do, in other words. Many would like to punch Drake, for example, because that's what their captain would do. Or, as another example, I dislike having to be all federation to get info from the Breen captive. It just felt wrong for my KDF captain to have to behave in that manner to complete the mission.

A good gamemaster will typically plan for a couple of different ways to get the info. The story will still get from A to B, but the players are given some illusion of choice, and their actions will determine how they get there and, since it is the route they choose, it'll increase their enjoyment of it. It'll increase replay value, as players will be interested in how it'll differ for their super nice captain as opposed to their tough guy one.

It is, however, more work, since you are doing more work for a certain amount of playtime. Not to mention trying to put yourself into different mindsets.

Quote:
So in short
We need captian pop up conversations.......for storytellers
other types prob could live without it.
You only need it for a subset of storytellers. Fan fic writers, basically. The GM type will avoid infringing on the characters.

But, on the bright side, for what you want, it might be possible with the cutscene stuff, whenever that eventually gets in. Why write fanfic when you can make a fanfilm instead?

If they do make such pure story, little player involvement stories possible, I do hope that authors clearly label their missions as such, to indicate that it is them telling a story, not a mission for the player to play.