Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Torpedo DPS Help
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I read somewhere that Photons fire more quickly which results in higher spamable DPS.

First, is this information correct? And what does it really mean?

Second, how can I as a Cruiser Captain take advantage of this? What should I do?

Third, would Quantum torpedoes be a better option in obtaining the most possible DPS?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Quantums hit with the most impact but fire slower: every 8 seconds rather then every 6, thus they have a lower DPS then the Photons. I used to love Quantums but have learned that Photons are one of the best-kept secrets in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I personally go with quantums because they move faster, so I have an easier time getting it on bare hull. Once you get comfortable with the travel speed for photons or any torp you will see your dps go up as you get better at timing the shot for when the shield drops.

Yes, photons can shoot more often, but that doesn't mean you can set them to autofire and get better dps, since shields reduce torp damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Quantum Torpedo's key advantage is that they can deliver a lot of damage in the short window that your enemies shields are down. Torpedoes are not very effective against shields (dealing only 1/4 the usual damage), so this can be an important factor. That is why many people run Quantum Torpedoes. If you have a way to ensure your enemies shields are down all the time, Photons would be better, but that's uncommon. Shields fluctuate a lot, but they are usually not down for long.

A similar rationale is why Tri-Cobalt Torpedoes (only available at Rear Admiral levels) are so popular among certain people (depending on your build).

As a Cruiser, you tend to have difficulties maneuvering your ship into a position to fire narrower arc weapons like torpedoes, which just adds to your problem of the short window of opportunity - so Quantums are probably the better choice. You will rarely be able to use the full firing rate of photon torpedoes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
While you can get better DPS with photons, all torps work best going through a downed shield. Which means you need to stay on an downed shield to gain the benefit of that faster rate of fire.

I have found in my PvP experience that you get just a short window of time to get any torp in through a downed shield facing before the target takes defensive measures and have decided for my needs that I would rather have the extra punch that the quantum's give if they hit rather than faster photon shots over time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-07-2010, 08:54 AM
The maximum theoretical torpedo DPS is 2 Photons. 1 torpedo every 3 seconds.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofabius View Post
I read somewhere that Photons fire more quickly which results in higher spamable DPS.

First, is this information correct? And what does it really mean?
As far as I know:
- photon torpedoes fire more rapidly than any other torpedo.
- photon torpedoes do less damage per volley, but more damage over time due to the rapid firing.
- quantum torpedoes travel faster.

Obviously, you then need to think about various things:
- high yield torpedo affects your next torpedo shot, so HYT is better used with quantums than photons.
- torpedoes are only really useful against hull, so spammable dps is not necessarily vital.
- photons give the best 'bang per buck' if you can keep your nose pointed at your opponent. If it takes you more than 6 seconds between shots to line up your nose/tail then photons are wasting their dps advantage.

I don't think there's much between the 2 types, try them and see which fits your playstyle better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
As a Cruiser, you tend to have difficulties maneuvering your ship into a position to fire narrower arc weapons like torpedoes, which just adds to your problem of the short window of opportunity - so Quantums are probably the better choice. You will rarely be able to use the full firing rate of photon torpedoes.
A Mk X Quantum will do 2,894 and a Mk X Photon will do 2,766. If you have a short window of opportunity it would be advantageous to use the weapons that fires the quickest. If you can only hold your firing arc for 10-20 seconds do you want to get 1-2 torps off or 2-3? Plus the damage disparity isn't that much different. 130 pts of initial damage is meaningless if you can get 2 shots off instead of 1 on the Photon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
A Mk X Quantum will do 2,894 and a Mk X Photon will do 2,766. If you have a short window of opportunity it would be advantageous to use the weapons that fires the quickest. If you can only hold your firing arc for 10-20 seconds do you want to get 1-2 torps off or 2-3? Plus the damage disparity isn't that much different. 130 pts of initial damage is meaningless if you can get 2 shots off instead of 1 on the Photon.
While the static numbers are close the place where the differences are in crits 130 can be over 2000 per torpedo on a crit.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM.