Lt. Commander
# 1 Collateral Damage
11-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Now I am all for having challenging missions on STO, however this one for lack of a better term is “****ing me off”. Now I realize that these are not the same Borg that we saw at the beginning of the game, not only are these Borg much tougher, but there are way too many of them to fight at any one time. I have tried multiple tactics, but things always turn out the same way, my away team gets defeated, and I have to start the fight all over again (7 or 8 times so far). Often without the amount of large hypos I had when I started this mission.

There is no way that this mission should be this tough on Normal difficulty. It actually stopped being fun to play for me. At the time of my writing this feedback, I am frustrated, tired, and a bit angry. I am considering walking away from STO for a couple of weeks, in favor of playing Fable 3, or Fallout: New Vegas, or Mass Effect 2, something that doesn’t leave me feeling bitter and angry.

In closing this feedback, let me say that “I hate this mission” but I will be back to beat it. Because I love playing STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Anti-Borg ground tactics revolve around understanding your target priorities.
  1. Take out interlink nodes (to stop the entire group from respawning)
  2. Take out medical drones (to stop healing)
  3. Take out normal drones (to stop proto-drone spawns)
  4. Mop up the rest

(Along with the obvious points about expose/exploit and power use.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Nodes nodes nodes nodes nodes nodes nodes. Nodes.

I had the same problem the first time I fought "real" borg on the ground. Absolutely overrun by ridiculous lagging numbers of drones and seemingly no way to stem the tide. After two extremely prolonged fights where I thought that was just how it worked until you hit some key point and they started to subside, I realized it entirely came down to the interlink nodes. Take out the nodes, and everything falls apart, only a bit worse than fighting Romulans or Jem'hadar. On normal difficulty, the nodes are the only thing you really need to prioritize, since nothing else will die with one up.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Gentleman, Thank You.
11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
The tactics, and information you both provided, will no doubt, be the key to helping me complete this mission. Thank You both for you’re assistance.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Also, use the secondary shot of the new Proton rifle from the Devidian mission (reward), it's working wonders against the Borg and also against the Undine.
Lt. Commander
Okay, but what about the rest of the mission? After I kill all the Borg around the complex, I can't get into the complex because of that shield. And I can't figure out how to lower the shield. There are no flashing objects anywhere to interact with, and my tricorder won't point to where I can activate something to lower the shield.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyyank View Post
Okay, but what about the rest of the mission? After I kill all the Borg around the complex, I can't get into the complex because of that shield. And I can't figure out how to lower the shield. There are no flashing objects anywhere to interact with, and my tricorder won't point to where I can activate something to lower the shield.
Shoot the power couplings around the perimeter. It's just like shooting the borg devices in the tutorial.