Lt. Commander
# 31
12-07-2010, 06:30 AM
It's simply impossible to coordinate anything complicated without voice comm. I agree that integrated voice would be awesome; I wish Skype or Mumble or somebody would offer a plugin module to game developers.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
everything is do-able without vent.
It's also doable without a monitor or keyboard... but it would be extremely difficult since you would have to memorize every map, and be able to calculate aprox how many meters your character has walked in any given amount of time. You would also have to memorize every enemy you would ever encounter and know when to hit the TAB key to target, and time all of your attacks apart from each other. You would also have to calculate where your mouse position would be at any given time without being able to see it since you would have to activate all your attacks by clicking on them. That would be extremely difficult, however I am sure there is someone out there who could do it.

For the rest of us though, having a monitor AND a keyboard just makes the game easier.Kind of like ventrilo, it isn't necessary to use in order to play, but it sure makes things easier. Besides, that is a very Star Trek thing to do isn't it? They always use their com badges in the shows and movies to communicate verbally with each other don't they? Just think of it as role playing!
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
Ventrilo users have some how got it into their heads that they are in some way better than other players because they use this system and as people are being denied access into teams for not having ventrilo i thought it was time this was brought up.

So i ask the STO population does vent make you a better player or does it just make you stuck up and pig headed !? Does having children ( and adults ) barking orders at you make the team your in feel superior than those without vent !?

We should all work together imho and not have a devided player base because of Ventrilo, do you agree !?
Vent and TeamSpeak give their users an unmistakeable advantage, in that if all the team is using a VoIP server, they have absolutely no need to type, or press any keys outside of battling, as well as being able to plan strategy and strategy changes faster.

It can seem like they are pig- headed if they are reluctant to talk to team members who aren't using VoIP servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Based on this thread I'd say the "big deal" is that some don't like to be told what to do, no matter what the reason or the source. Ultimately the same people complaining about being told what to do on vent are going to be complaining about being told what to do in chat.
Doesn't matter if im doing it in zone/team/fleet chat or vent/TS(i host my own TS server, and use the fleets vent server), youll see/hear me bark out orders. I am a strategist, and if someone else doesnt take the initiative in the first 6 seconds, i will take it and co-ordinate the team. of course my preferred communique type is through VoIP, because if i start barking out orders, my usefulness in the combat gets reduced. i am not using bridge officer/captain abilities, maneuvering or mashing my spacebar into the floor when typing a command. Oh and in case your were curious- im not 14 years old either.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
Vent and TeamSpeak give their users an unmistakeable advantage, in that if all the team is using a VoIP server, they have absolutely no need to type, or press any keys outside of battling, as well as being able to plan strategy and strategy changes faster.

It can seem like they are pig- headed if they are reluctant to talk to team members who aren't using VoIP servers.
I agree, I think that most gamers stand on two sides of the fence, one side uses voip and can't understand why anyone would play a game and not use it. The other side doesn't use voip at all and can't understand why anyone would use it at all. The thing is, using VOIP gives players an advantage in game. There are no disadvantages regarding actually gameplay in using VOIP. Communicating faster = better teamwork which = players doing their jobs correctly and when they should = higher chance of success.....is my math wrong there?

I know that playing games should be fun, and nothing else "should" matter. But for some people it is about more than being fun, that is something a lot of people don't understand. Just because YOU only see STO as just a game, doesn't mean everyone will. Some people take it a little bit more serious than you might. I am not saying that is good or bad, I am saying that if people take things more serious than you, don't expect them to treat you the same as they treat themselves or their comrades. It is perfectly fine to group and not use voice when the rest of your team is, just know that for you it is just a dungeon or instance, but for them it is now an "ok who wants to type and tell this guy what the strat is, cuz I don't....." game. As long as you are aware of that, than that is fine. And I know some people who don't like to use voice because they don't feel comfortable with another human hearing how they sound....fine, that is a personal problem in all honesty, but that is fine. You can still enable voice chat and listen....your ears will still work even if you don't want to use your throat right?

Just understand that because you are choosing not to participate in the same way they are, that you will not be treated the same. So don't get ****ed at them because of that. If you had a coworker that wasn't taking his job seriously and was just doing the bare minimum to get by, and choosing not to utilize all of the tools available to them in order to get the job done easier or more efficiently, wouldn't that frustrate you even a little bit? It is sort of the same thing.

That is all I am saying.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Vent is a usefull tool

Especially communicating with a fleet, and in a STF instance. Not only are you verbaling talking but you are transmitting information alot faster in this fashion to your members or group members at a faster rate then you would typing.

I prefer anything now, to be runned in some sort of voice communication software like ventrilo. I cant go back to group chat.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
Ventrilo users have some how got it into their heads that they are in some way better than other players because they use this system and as people are being denied access into teams for not having ventrilo i thought it was time this was brought up.

So i ask the STO population does vent make you a better player or does it just make you stuck up and pig headed !? Does having children ( and adults ) barking orders at you make the team your in feel superior than those without vent !?

We should all work together imho and not have a devided player base because of Ventrilo, do you agree !?
never met the people you described.
Lt. Commander
# 37 Vent
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I have used Vent for years and haved played many MMOs with it. Pocket groups like you talking about often within guild or Fleet were they seem to invite the same people all the time ignoring the rest of the fleet or guild happens all the time. They tend to lock out other players because they leaned to play as team to such a point they even know what the other players can and can not do. Getting into one of these group is like breaking into Fort Knox. This is almost always a guild or fleet killer. It makes the other players feel left out. To make thing worse the the group dose not think they are doing anything wrong. Making players feel left out is the fastest way to kill a fleet or guild.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
I have used Vent for years and haved played many MMOs with it. Pocket groups like you talking about often within guild or Fleet were they seem to invite the same people all the time ignoring the rest of the fleet or guild happens all the time. They tend to lock out other players because they leaned to play as team to such a point they even know what the other players can and can not do. Getting into one of these group is like breaking into Fort Knox. This is almost always a guild or fleet killer. It makes the other players feel left out. To make thing worse the the group dose not think they are doing anything wrong. Making players feel left out is the fastest way to kill a fleet or guild.
Well whether they are doing something wrong or not is kind of subjective. Guild's are allowed to be ran however they would like to be ran, as long as they don't break any in game rules. I don't think there are any rules that say guilds HAVE to invite everyone in the guild to ALL events. You can either choose to meet a guilds requirements to get invited to an event, or choose not to. Every player has this same choice, unless you have some sort of physical disability that prevents you from meeting said requirements. Sometimes having VoIP or vent IS a requirement, maybe not to join but to fully participate within the guild. Is it right or wrong? Well from the guild's side no it isn't. From the player who isn't getting the invite's side it is. But if I fail to meet a dress code requirement for my job, and for some reason I am just incapable of meeting that requirement, whether it is because I choose to or maybe I don't own any clothes at all, I am pretty sure my employeer is eventually going to not invite me back to work....AKA fire me.