Lt. Commander
# 21
12-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Unlikely since these would still be affected by the very same laws as the Enterprise F contest.
Which means I will never be able to design a ship for this game.
The problem, as Cryptic has described it, is running a competition across various countries. Running competitions for specific countries may be less of an issue.

So there could be a Canadian contest, an Australian contest, and so on.

There can't be all that many countries that have a large enough population of STO players to make such a contest worthwhile.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
what about we just design it somewhere and upload it to Cryptic

then we dont have direct involvement but Cryptic can draw ideas from?

sounds fair under the circumstances :/
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Not really, as I understand the limittations of international bussiness law and do not let such trivial things bother me. Its rather childish to act so considering that Cryptic must obey the restrictions of world commerce law and may not have the resources to throw a worldwide contest.
Thanks for setting the precendent though for my future excuse of ranting why its unfair the US players can't involved in something. I would have posted a complaint about how the US players couldn't get the England to be in the world record attempt by Cryptic from a few months back without spoending money and time to travel, but I didn't wantr to come off as childish.
Aside from the fact that I don't blame Cryptic for the competition rules (at any point in my original post), I'm trying to get across that the majority of people MAY just like the chance to design the Enterprise F. I would like to think that CBS/Paramount (and any 3rd partys involved in the competition) would like to give the opportunity to fans world wide to design it.
I was also trying to suggest that maybe some people, possibly quite a few (myself included), would gladly forgo monetary value of the prizes and just be content knowing they'd designed the next (possibly canon) Enterprise. I in no way wanted incur the wrath of international business law aficionados
If itís childish to want fans the world over to have the equal opportunity to enter an online design competition for something they care about then call me Peter Pan, because I ainít growing up any time soon

Iíd be more perturbed if it was a competition run just by Cryptic as there would be no need at all to restrict the entries based on location, prizes, laws etc. I mean they could just offer free life time subs, downloadable versions of the game and/or even the winning design given to the winner a few months ahead of everyone else or something. But alas its not Crypticís competition.
It's just unfortunate that competitions like this, where ever their based and whoever their promoted by, can't be open to fans world wide.

I suppose if I could blame Cryptic for anything at all (and I don't) is that they sent emails to people outside the U.S. psyching us up about an exciting competition... but then not making it a little bit more obvious that it would only be open to the U.S. But thatís just a problem with email promotion the world over :p
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-09-2010, 02:44 AM
I understand that it sucks for people who got excited outside the US for a chance to enter, and it's not about the prize it's about the design. Though anyone who played Spore and doesn't live in the USA knows it can be a lot worse.

EA Ran a "contest" last year with Dr. Pepper. And it was, buy a soda, get a code for new parts. It would be like if STO was giving away the Excelsior refit when you bought a bottle of soda. Every cap was a winner. Only problem was it was it was US only. and about a 3rd of their player base was outside the US.

So yeah this sucks, but it could be much worse.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Yeah, it's really unfortunate and totally Cryptic's fault that they have neither the legal staff nor the resources to research the laws of all 200+ countries on this planet and then pay the correct fees/taxes/bribes necessary to run this contest (that they're not even running) in every single country in the world.

Oh and by the way, there has already been at least one dev post that explained this. So by all means, let's start a couple hundred more threads about this same subject and blame Cryptic once again for something they have no control over.
Although I know you are being sarcastic, it might hurt peoples feelings over this issue. Please try to reign in your sarcasm a bit next ime, ok??
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Better get in before this thread gets locked by Stormy

Well I live in Australia and to be honest I'm not interested in the competition anyway. I dont have enough time to spend designing a ship and I would rather send my time playing STO. I appreciate the legal problems, and also the agruments by people that do want to participate.

But .... I would have thought that someone who makes these business descissions would have thought "Hey, ummm ... we are about to alienate half the players. Perhaps we shouldn't run this competition if its not possible to include everyone". It makes business sense to me.

... now back to patchign Season 3 ...
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Gazer
Although I know you are being sarcastic, it might hurt peoples feelings over this issue. Please try to reign in your sarcasm a bit next ime, ok??
Oh, I'll be more than happy to.

Just as soon as everyone else reigns in their nerdrage and "Hate Cryptic" and "Blame Cryptic for Everything!" and "Cryptic is Worse than Hitler" posts! Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not saying Cryptic is perfect. I'm saying that I find it annoying that any time Cryptic does anything there's a hundred threads started by people blaming everything in the world on Cryptic. And then, when a dev makes a post explaining what happened, another hundred threads are started complaining about the exact same thing because people are too lazy to use the search function.

Short version: I'll reign in the sarcasm when people start thinking before they post.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Oh, I agree completely about the thinking before posting thing.

I know that other blame Cryptic or any other game developer for many things, and sometimes they ARE to blame, but most times they are not. Thing is, it's diffcult to judge when a developer is to be blamed, and when they are not.

In most cases those wo are blaming the developers are wrong, but sometimes they are right too...
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

Short version: I'll reign in the sarcasm when people start thinking before they post.
and a straight word was never said again. The end.
Lt. Commander
# 30 lol
12-09-2010, 07:26 AM
to be honest why does it matter. The site where this contest is suppose to take place is no where in sight. No real information, no real organizations. It is tardy at best that while their website is still out of date you would think a contest that suppose to start today would be widely public. oh well