Lt. Commander
# 11
12-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I liked the movie and I wouldn't mind seeing some of that content in game. Hell, I'd love to explore that timeline!
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacd View Post
Wrong time line.
Here endeth the lesson
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
Here endeth the lesson
Frak those timeline issues, I'm talking about mere gadgets. I started this thread for the same reason we have the nx-01 and the enterprise uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiskota
Frak those timeline issues, I'm talking about mere gadgets. I started this thread for the same reason we have the nx-01 and the enterprise uniforms.
all of which are in the prime timeline...
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Personally i'd love to see the Drakoulias and Hengrauggi make an appearance or two in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Its quite simple: no matter how much WE want(or dont want) to see things from the 2009 movie in the game, Cryptic CANT use them. The reason is a little technical, so I'll break it down:

1) In 2006, the ST property was divided between CBS and Paramount.

2) CBS got the TV shows, and Paramount got the movies

3) Cryptic's deal is with CBS not Paramount.

4) Since STO was started before this deal went down, it had permission to use all show and movies that existed up to the point it started development

5) Any movies made after STO started development are soley owned by Paramount and Cryptic does not have permission to use them.

STO was started in 2004(by Perpetual), and the last movie came out in 2009. You do the math :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
ah! I just created a thread in the Ten Forward board asking where that design is from. I've seen it several times, what is it?

Is it just concept art?
http://trekmovie.com/2007/12/04/gabe...ed-enterprise/

This is just a really short article talking about the ship and its creator.

What funny is that I actually like this design and it feels like several of the cryptic designs either intentionally or not tried to use elements in this design on their ships and failed in many cases.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I think it best to just stop asking for things that will not be. the dev's have commented on this, just as they have fed carriers and a myriad of other things. The answer was no, they don't have the rights to the material. The new uniforms from the new movie were in the game, but were taken out due to the licensing issue.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
I. Romulus is destroyed
Well, that happened in the Prime universe, so hard to ignore it.

And btw, as far as Prime universe is concerned Spock is dead/MIA. He never came back from the Abrams universe, after all.

Quote:
Frak ....
Really wrong timeline word there. :p
And the Enterprise series is the only Trek that both timelines have in common... so could be considered the 'truest'.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
I've been thinking about making this thread for a while. There are people who hate the direction abrams has taken with the latest film. Nevertheless, the story is intergrated in the game. Romulus is destroyed and spock takes responsibility. But this is not a thread about story intergration or whether you liked or disliked the latest film. I want to appeal to those who loved the gear, uniforms, ships and numerous other details of the film and want to see them ingame.
The utility belt with the 2009 phaser, I think it will fit very well in STO. The kelvin class would make a great addition. Give female players those new uhura skirts ^^. I've also been suggesting that the design of the upcoming Enterpise F should resemble the 2009 enterprise. I was thinking of a cross between the Ambassador class and the 2009.
The transporter effects of the latest film were beautiful, I'd like to see those ingame. The cadet uniforms look great and I know there are some people who want them. I also noticed that in the final scene, the uniform pike is wearing when gets relieved, resembles the TMP uniform very closely. Spock's time ship, with the spinning nacelle, don't know how to fit it in yet but the storyline of the game allows it to be ingame. Also it would be a very nice addition to the current ship fx effects.
The klingon helmets, seen in the deleted scene at the klingon penal conoly are awesome. I haven't got a KDF character but I'll root for the klingons till they get these.

But if we have to start somewhere: The utility belt with a holstered phaser, with the right stun/kill swiitch. We haven't got holstered phasers yet, I've been wanting them for a long time, but maybe it's an idea to start with this one.

Share your thoughts and or exchange more trek 2009 ideas for sto
Ye Ghods, another one that missed the memo, even though it's mentioned in the December Ask Cryptic.

There are TWO reasons why what you ask for won't happen in this game:

1) Licensing. Cryptic has the license to use the Star Trek trademark, and all imagess/characters/etc. from the parts of Star Trek that CBS holds the IP for. Those consist of:

a) All of the TV shows (TOS,TAS,TNG,DS9,Voyager, and Enterprise).
b) The movies that had been produced up to the point where Paramount became a separate entity form CBS. That means Star Trek I through Star Trek X ONLY.

Basically, Cryptic has the rights to use things from the original ST timeline, and SOME of the Expanded Universe through CBS' ownership of Pocket Books. That's why the Luna-class is in-game - the design was done for a Pocket-ran contest, and became the property of Pocket.

2) DOESN'T FIT. Just because something is branded Star Trek doesn't mean it has to be here...abd the items from the JJverse, being a COMPLETELY SEPARATE timelinewhose only point of connection with the main ST universe is one character - the older Spock - really doesn't belong here in STO. The events of Strar trek XI that are part of the main timeline are represented here - beyond that, Spock dropped off the face of the universe as far as this timeline is concerned. ANd before any horse manure about "time travel" - ST has only had one agency - numan or alien - crossing timelines. Linear time travel - yes. Time loops - yes. But actually accessing other timelines and bringing objets/ships/people into another one? That's Q, and only Q.

Remember the purpose of Star Trek XI, please. Yes, it had a purpose beyond just making money. It was a reboot of the series as a whole. A way to continye making Star Trek movies with fresh faces and ideas, so that Paramount could continue milking the cash cow (with the original actors aging or dead, a new appeal to youth was needed). As such, again, ST XI beyond the wormhole has no place in STO, as the universe that had that stuff NEVER EXISTED IN THE GAME'S TIMELINE, NOR IS CRYPTIC GOING TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD A LICENSE FROM PARAMOUNT ANY TIME SOON. Get it? Dstahk even said as much in the December Ask Cryptic, when asked about Atar Trek XI uniforms!
Closed Thread