Lt. Commander
# 191
12-09-2010, 05:52 AM
I still like STO and feel that it is slowly growing into its own. I had no expectations and suffered no loss of glee over its design and impletation as a MMO, as I knew that being a MMO settings it would not have the same feel as the TV shows and movies which are told from a limited perspective.

Quote:
1) Repetitiveness: Keep doing the same missions day after day, especially with multiple characters, it becomes boring. Exploration missions are really terrible with this.
Not that I disagree, but all MMO's eventually hit this stage.

Quote:
2) Fast Climb to High-End: For a hardcore player this can be easily done within a few days. They hit high-end, do everything, grind emblems and equip their characters and that's it, nothing else to do.
I agree, the meat of the MMO is pretty thin.

Quote:
3) A war without a war. Territoral PvP on multiple fronts would really add to the emersion of actual war and give players a reason to fight.
I agree.

Quote:
4) Socializing: Outside of Earth, there is very little communication and very little reason for players to socialize. The return of the STFs might get some people to gain friendships for a little while at least.
I agree.

These all all areas that need improvement, but you must admit that things have gotten better since beta/launch/etc.
Lt. Commander
# 192
12-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erg_Noor View Post
This explains alot to me why some are disapointed. Maybe I dident have this big expectations to begin with and was just to happy to be playing the Star trek world? I have some experienses with MMO RPG but not at the level some of you guys have, that could be another explenation to why I dont feel robbed. Im also a bit old compered to many players who probebly demand a very high standard compered to other MMOs etc. I grew up with Amiga 500 and comandore 64, Nintendo etc so compere to that both WoW and STO is nothing short of a mirical

However I still love the game and are extremly exited when it comes to the changes coming along with season 3, 4 and 5.

I hope you guys dont give up and that you stay with me to see STO grow up to be what you expected.

I have faith to belive, in STO
I used to twiddle my thumbs for fun as a kid, so any 3D mmo is short of a miracle, which is why I play them. But I am limited on time, and on money, as most of us are, so if I am going to play an MMO, it has to be worth my time. Not everyone has this rule set when playing MMO's, but I do. At least while I am still in my early 20's, maybe when I am ten or twenty years older I won't care, but for now I do. And it isn't that I feel robbed, I feel let down. Had they made this game as a non star trek MMO, it would have been fine. But if you are going to use an IP such as Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, etc, you can just slap together a game, put the Star Trek tag on it and expect everyone to play it because " well look it says star trek on it, it must be good!". I do like the game, I think it is a fun game. It is just not what I had hoped for, so I moved on.

It is like falling in love with a girl, then finding out she likes you. Then you finally get with her, it's a dream come true right? Then you catch her in bed with 4 of your best friends at the same time while destroying all of your Star Trek DVD's, even the collectors edition TOS full box set signed by Leonerd Nimoy and William Shatner. It would be hard to trust your girl after that wouldn't it? So I periodically check up on STO, as I am slowly "gaining my trust back" hoping they have implemented drastic changes to the game to make it better. I am sure over time STO will become a better game, but how long will it take? Another 6 months? 3 years? By then how many other games are going to be out? I want Star Trek Online to be good, but I am not going to wait around forever. If STO adopts a F2P model, hell yeah I would play in a heart beat!
Lt. Commander
# 193
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
These all all areas that need improvement, but you must admit that things have gotten better since beta/launch/etc.
In all my ranting, much of it done as counter-counter-arguing, I should occasionally note that if, I didn't like the game or the franchise, I wouldn't be putting time in on the Holodeck or the Forums. (although, honestly, I had to come to the forums to find any useful version of a Player's Manual)

However, like a special friend who won't do that one thing I need, no matter how much I care about them, I'll end up resenting them for it.

What's been done on Tribble, in just the short time I've been in game, shows me that the Dev Team is willing to actually write some code to make a better game. Kudos.
Lt. Commander
# 194
12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I think there's a couple of problems that make people who prefer to stay at the endgame vs starting new characters more frustrated with STO. The problems have been stated, so I won't reiterate them. Where did the problems come from? Acquiring the game from a company that was doing STO a disservice, then being pressured into releasing the game under the previous company's deadline.

How do they fix it?

I presonally think they need to hire writers - for those of you in the video game industry, these are people who have no other obligation but to write material - that can contribute to end-game missions and story arcs. It's nice that you have featured episodes, but that only helps people level to VA without doing exploration missions, patrols, or PvP.

I hit VA while playing PvP only twice on my main when the game released.

Even if you get material you'll never consider using, a couple months of on-staff writers can give you at least a year's worth of content.
Lt. Commander
# 195
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Except a very small number of people would play in that environment. the number of people who would and the development dollars invested in such a thing is not cost effective. That money would be better spent on features a majority of players would use.

This is one of those things where the 80/20 law comes into play. spending development resources to satisfy 80% of the players makes a lot more sense than spending it on to satisfy a declining 20%. Hence the reason why it has not been done. It might be in the future but not any time soon.
Make such a zone a C-Store expansion for Admiral and beyond. Imagine fleets of players roaming such a zone and engaging dynamic pvp. Making it to the planetary instances could either be a refuge and allow for farming, or contested adding an extra element of risk for those seeking a real challenge... Let the players take care of end game game play!
Lt. Commander
# 196
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Open PvP would give people a lot more to do. Personally though, I don't want PVP zones, I want the entire world to be open PvP. Before you smack me down hear me out. If they were to implement a PvP flag that each player could set on a per character basis they could control which "world" people play in by sticking them in PvE and PvP dedicated instances.

Just as an example, depending on the player population's distribution, 60% of the instances would be PvE where the "world" behaves exactly as it does now, and 40% would be dedicated to PvP instances where everyone's allowed everywhere, and everyone's allowed to be attacked.

For example, if I set my character's PvP flag to "true", I would load into PvP specific instances, always. Meaning the whole world is open for me to explore and fight in. I could enter Klingon space and try to make my way to Qo'Nos. Klingon's could fight their way to ESD, beam aboard and fight players and station NPCs. For the people with their PvP flag off, enemy zones would still be restricted, and they wouldn't ever have to worry about being pounced on by a cloaked Bird of Prey that somehow made it into Federation space.

Just think of all the different playing styles you'd have have to learn and use in an open PvP environment! The game would feel brand new.
Lt. Commander
# 197
12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
In all my ranting, much of it done as counter-counter-arguing, I should occasionally note that if, I didn't like the game or the franchise, I wouldn't be putting time in on the Holodeck or the Forums. (although, honestly, I had to come to the forums to find any useful version of a Player's Manual)

However, like a special friend who won't do that one thing I need, no matter how much I care about them, I'll end up resenting them for it.

What's been done on Tribble, in just the short time I've been in game, shows me that the Dev Team is willing to actually write some code to make a better game. Kudos.
I never doubted the fact that the Dev team has the betterment of STO in mind.
Thier methods -maybe.
Thier actions- sure.
Thier motives- not really.
Thier love for the game- never a doubt.
If they'll ever give into fanfaction unreasonable demands I've seen in these forums - constantly, but so far they have stuck to thier guns where it counts.