Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone3 View Post
I'd like to see a Narada-type ship in the game. The retrofitted borg technology would be cool on other Romulan ships too.
Ships like that are already in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacd View Post
Wrong time line.
That would hardly be an issue, concerning the other stuff that should not be here just as much. When you can "explain" why Starfleet builds new NX-class ships, then you can "explain" the production of everything from the JJverse (either by space anomaly crossover, or by simply declaring any likeness to be a coincidence).
I for myself am glad that licensing issues will likely prevent that from happening, though. Those resources can just as well go to fleshing out other parts of the game that still lack development.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Ye Ghods, another one that missed the memo, even though it's mentioned in the December Ask Cryptic.

There are TWO reasons why what you ask for won't happen in this game:

1) Licensing. Cryptic has the license to use the Star Trek trademark, and all imagess/characters/etc. from the parts of Star Trek that CBS holds the IP for. Those consist of:

a) All of the TV shows (TOS,TAS,TNG,DS9,Voyager, and Enterprise).
b) The movies that had been produced up to the point where Paramount became a separate entity form CBS. That means Star Trek I through Star Trek X ONLY.

Basically, Cryptic has the rights to use things from the original ST timeline, and SOME of the Expanded Universe through CBS' ownership of Pocket Books. That's why the Luna-class is in-game - the design was done for a Pocket-ran contest, and became the property of Pocket.

2) DOESN'T FIT. Just because something is branded Star Trek doesn't mean it has to be here...abd the items from the JJverse, being a COMPLETELY SEPARATE timelinewhose only point of connection with the main ST universe is one character - the older Spock - really doesn't belong here in STO. The events of Strar trek XI that are part of the main timeline are represented here - beyond that, Spock dropped off the face of the universe as far as this timeline is concerned. ANd before any horse manure about "time travel" - ST has only had one agency - numan or alien - crossing timelines. Linear time travel - yes. Time loops - yes. But actually accessing other timelines and bringing objets/ships/people into another one? That's Q, and only Q.

Remember the purpose of Star Trek XI, please. Yes, it had a purpose beyond just making money. It was a reboot of the series as a whole. A way to continye making Star Trek movies with fresh faces and ideas, so that Paramount could continue milking the cash cow (with the original actors aging or dead, a new appeal to youth was needed). As such, again, ST XI beyond the wormhole has no place in STO, as the universe that had that stuff NEVER EXISTED IN THE GAME'S TIMELINE, NOR IS CRYPTIC GOING TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD A LICENSE FROM PARAMOUNT ANY TIME SOON. Get it? Dstahk even said as much in the December Ask Cryptic, when asked about Atar Trek XI uniforms!

My god, you do get a kick out of making your point. You must understand that if one person posts the fact that it can't be done because paramount owns the rights the discussion is done. Please take the time you took to write it to understand the idea behind me suggesting it. Harmless. Not demanding. You don't have to treat me like I did not understand the purpose of the latest movie, nor capslock your point.

Also the idea of carrieing our phasers holstered remains. If anything we can return to that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-09-2010, 03:35 PM
No thank you. STO is the last bastion of THE Star Trek timeline. Trek 09 is not included in that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
STO is in THE PRIME UNIVERSE.......

It's one thing ot have out-of-era stuff...but stuff from a reality that technically doesn't exist and has NO INFLUENCE what-so-ever on the prime universe.

Yes, the 2009 film "looked cool," but that's a poor reason why one should have the prime univese distorted...

personal wants < responsible choices

I am on the other hand, ok with actually holstering weapons in STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
STO is in THE PRIME UNIVERSE.......

It's one thing ot have out-of-era stuff...but stuff from a reality that technically doesn't exist and has NO INFLUENCE what-so-ever on the prime universe.

Yes, the 2009 film "looked cool," but that's a poor reason why one should have the prime univese distorted...

personal wants < responsible choices

I am on the other hand, ok with actually holstering weapons in STO.
Dont even try to use a "real" explanation like "the ship is too old" or "its in a different universe" because we already have really old ships and MIRROR UNIVERSE things going on in STO. Just stick with the "Cryptic doesnt have permission" explanation, because thats the only one that cant be easily contradicted with what we already have in game
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
the 2009 enterprise would make a decent TOS enterprise retrofit. Just saying.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
the 2009 enterprise would make a decent TOS enterprise retrofit. Just saying.
Except for the fact that TMP connie is already the TOS connie refit. Just saying.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiskota
My god, you do get a kick out of making your point. You must understand that if one person posts the fact that it can't be done because paramount owns the rights the discussion is done. Please take the time you took to write it to understand the idea behind me suggesting it. Harmless. Not demanding. You don't have to treat me like I did not understand the purpose of the latest movie, nor capslock your point.
Being that the same request has been made many times before on the Forums, I felt the point needed to be enpathized a bit. Since you missed the memo, that is - and even Dstahl had mentioned it in more than one Ask Cryptic. So, it had been mentioned already, yet you still felt the need to make the OP in the first place. No need to try to reprimand me when the OP showed you missed all that.

Quote:
Also the idea of carrying our phasers holstered remains. If anything we can return to that.
Phasers "holstered"? Depends on which show you are talking about here...

TOS: Pieces of Velcro were used underneath the uniform shirts.
TAS: Fictionally, the same as TOS - no visible holsters.
Movies: Some did, some didn't.
TAS: Type-1 Dustbusters, yes. Others not necessarily, especially larger ones.DS9/Voyager/Enterprise: Ya, varying on model/type of weapon involved.

So, when you say "return to that", which are you referring to? If we go back to TOS, there aren't any. TNG varied, and later ones did.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Being that the same request has been made many times before on the Forums, I felt the point needed to be enpathized a bit. Since you missed the memo, that is - and even Dstahl had mentioned it in more than one Ask Cryptic. So, it had been mentioned already, yet you still felt the need to make the OP in the first place. No need to try to reprimand me when the OP showed you missed all that.
And apparently you missed that it was explained in this thread before you posted
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
The Kelvin would be common to both timelines too, actually. It was in service before the alterations to the timeline by Nero's arrival.

I'll say this too. If they start adding things from that movie to the game, I will be gone within 1 minute of finding out about it. I almost didn't subscribe because they had to incorporate the destruction of Romulus (which is utterly nonsensical from the standpoint of science, logic, story and canon...).
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 PM.